SASS Wire Forum

Hunting season

Utah Bob #35998

Last day. The roads are full of pickups and orange clad fellers. So there I was coming back from the man cave (Star) when I spot 3 or four trucks stopped just to the west on the county road. (lightning bolt). I figured it was the utility company but then I saw flashes of orange. Then I noticed two Cow Elk meandering down my driveway headed for the brush on the south side of the road, (Yellow trail). I got the binocs out just as they disappeared in the woods. The hunters dispersed. I think they went south to try and head em off. A fella stopped by a few minutes later and said there were two Bulls with the cows.He wanted to know if him and his brother could take up a spot on my property if the Bulls came back later.

Seeing as how he was a local guy and not one of the foreign hunters, I said "Sure". They got about an hour and a half.

That was the first time I've seen any Elk this year.

elkspotting 2020.jpg

I had a bunch of elk in one of my fields about 600 yards below my house a couple days ago, but too many other houses down that way to be taking a shot, and my blood lust is diminishing with age anyway. At least 8 branched bulls in the bunch - there are 4 more out of the picture to the left of the far left one.

Elk.jpg

Got this feller just this past Wednesday with the bow. Year of meat for me. Firearm started today, but lightning around me right now. Rain all day so will go out tomorrow and try and get meat for a family.

deer slayer.jpg

On stand for the Indiana opener now. Waiting for Kaya's rifle to bark. Supposed to be rain and high winds for the Michigan opener tomorrow. Headed north tonight late. 

In the San fran bay area we only have small coastal deer , smaller than a big dog

Most are so used to people they dont run that makes then want to jump in front of our cars. Most are road kills around here.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

On stand for the Indiana opener now. Waiting for Kaya's rifle to bark. Supposed to be rain and high winds for the Michigan opener tomorrow. Headed north tonight late. 

Here in mid-Missouri - thunderstorms and wind on opening morning.  Windy tomorrow.  10 years ago I would have been out there.  Now I bunker down until it's over. 

I've only heard a few shots.  When I hear several shots,  I figure it got away or got away wounded.  

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Here in mid-Missouri - thunderstorms and wind on opening morning.  Windy tomorrow.  10 years ago I would have been out there.  Now I bunker down until it's over. 

I've only heard a few shots.  When I hear several shots,  I figure it got away or got away wounded.  

One shot - liver and onions tonight.

Two shots - maybe.

Three shots - DANG, hamburger again!

Duffield

37 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

One shot - liver and onions tonight.

Two shots - maybe.

Three shots - DANG, hamburger again!

Duffield

Liver and onions. Was a good morning.

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Good Luck. At least with Kaya on stand, you will have some meat. 

4 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

If she'd seen it first, you would've been skunked:rolleyes::lol::blush:

Been there many times! I feel like an inocent bystander most days.

11 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

In the San fran bay area we only have small coastal deer , smaller than a big dog

Most are so used to people they dont run that makes then want to jump in front of our cars. Most are road kills around here.

You can eat roadkill. I’ve thrown a couple of deer I’ve hit into the bed of my truck.

On 11/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Last day. The roads are full of pickups and orange clad fellers. So there I was coming back from the man cave (Star) when I spot 3 or four trucks stopped just to the west on the county road. (lightning bolt). I figured it was the utility company but then I saw flashes of orange. Then I noticed two Cow Elk meandering down my driveway headed for the brush on the south side of the road, (Yellow trail). I got the binocs out just as they disappeared in the woods. The hunters dispersed. I think they went south to try and head em off. A fella stopped by a few minutes later and said there were two Bulls with the cows.He wanted to know if him and his brother could take up a spot on my property if the Bulls came back later.

Seeing as how he was a local guy and not one of the foreign hunters, I said "Sure". They got about an hour and a half.

That was the first time I've seen any Elk this year.

elkspotting 2020.jpg

You could ask for some back strap or at least some stew meat, heart or tongue.

11 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I never have to ask. Good folks. ;)

12 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

If those guy are worth a darn he won't have to ask.  

As a kid I had thousands of acres to hunt on simply because I always gave the land owner at least enough for a couple meals. I was a good neighbor as well and always closed gates and patched/reported damaged fences.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If those guy are worth a darn he won't have to ask.  

As a kid I had thousands of acres to hunt on simply because I always gave the land owner at least enough for a couple meals. I was a good neighbor as well and always closed gates and patched/reported damaged fences.

I have always given meat of my kills, even if I don’t kill on their property, just something. And there’s always favors, trees to cut, repairs to be made, anything.

Getting tougher as land gets busted up into smaller and smaller parcels. Now, I have probably 30 or so acres right here between my land and 2 neighbors that let me hunt.  There’s about 9000 acres state WMA land within 5 miles of me (2 separate WMAs), another 90,000 or so acres of WMA within 30-45 minutes from me (4 separate WMAs) and 30,000 or so thousand acres of national forest within 20 minutes of me with another 10,000 or so acres on an adjacent National Wildlife refuge ( it’s tough to get a draw to hunt there).

I hunt some of the public land. Particularly one of the two near me. One is quota only, even in archery season. Mostly it’s archery season when I hunt public land or if I get drawn on a quota rifle hunt, but the larger WMAs are open most all season and sometimes I hunt those. Even with all that land around, I still would take 50-100 acres of private land any day.

I saw one beautiful muley buck at about 200 yd. He was huge. Might have even been an elk, I couldn't quite tell as the sun was almost down. Nice to see a magnificent creature like that in his domain. The only other buck that I got close to was this one.  Oh well, I wasn't hunting anyway.

20201113_141631.jpg

Got that Buck last Wednesday for me and today got this gal for a family needing meat. Have several families I hunt for and try and get meat for them. Will go out again this coming week sometime. Here in central Missouri these critters are a pest, just too many  of them.

deer meat.jpg

And on the way to the dump this afternoon....

75B0516B-28B0-4183-B670-58BAEBCC9728.jpeg

On 11/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Different types of hunters, I guess.

!Beau Hunters.jpg

These Does will cost you a lot of dough!

Not a fan of hunting for sport.  Meat - that's different.  Petey shot dove but had someone to give them to.  I was so pleased when he started shooting cowboy because he was happy and nothing had to die.  Yes, I have eaten venison & liked it.  Just don't kill it if you're not going to use it.  And trophies don't count.  I walked into a client's showroom in SC one day and blurted out Who the hell shot that (bob)cat!

MizPete

I've done some hunting in my time albeit for meat. I don't do much anymore although I greatly enjoy the time outdoors, generally taking pictures. I never could understand why somebody would say, how somebody could say, "Look at that big, huge beautiful creature! Let's kill it and hang it on the wall!" That never sat well with me and it never made sense to me. I like seeing those big beautiful creatures live where they live and do what they do. I won't turn down a venison steak or an elk steak but I'm not going out to shoot the critter anymore.  I can think of plenty other trophies I would just as soon have rather than dead animals.

Well, my view from the fence about hunting is that the sale of hunting licenses provides funds for wildlife habitat. 

I have no problem with that. Look at what happened with waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited back in the 1930's. Now we have Pheasants Unlimited and I promote that. 

BUT, there it is again, here in Washington State, the sale of licenses goes into the General fund so the legislature can dole it out to the WDFW piecemeal.  Part of the problem with fishing and hunting is there are not enough funds to support all of needs of outdoors people and animals. 

There is a shortage of hunting grounds, and a lot of farmers and ranchers have closed their land due to reckless behavior by hunters. 

I can't say I blame them. We always asked but generally we were told no, not because of our actions, but the actions of some clown before us. 

That and the State trooper didn't like us hunting from the freeway!  Who knew. 

Archived