SASS Wire Forum

Would you trade a Glock 26 for a Colt Detective Special?

Pat Riot

Question for you California fellers.

If I were to arrange a swap with someone here, in AZ, we could just meet somewhere halfway between and swap.

Why can't two Californicos just do that?  Why all this resort to FFL's, etc.?  Does your government already have a list of what you own?  Who would know what gun you have or yusta have or are supposed to have?

I don't get it.

5 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Question for you California fellers.

If I were to arrange a swap with someone here, in AZ, we could just meet somewhere halfway between and swap.

Why can't two Californicos just do that?  Why all this resort to FFL's, etc.?  Does your government already have a list of what you own?  Who would know what gun you have or yusta have or are supposed to have?

I don't get it.

Yes, they have a list. They also have unlimited funding to make your life miserable if somehow you were caught swapping or selling guns “illegally”.

6 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Different market up here.

A Detective Special in good condition, is only worth somewhere in the $200 to $300 dollar range, as a result of them becoming Prohibited (due to the short barrel) unless you had continuous prior registration several decades ago.

A Canadian version Glock 19 Gen 4 with a slightly longer barrel and a Maple Leaf on the slide, will set you back $796.00

That’s odd. I would think a “prohibited” gun would bring a premium. 

I bought a Glock 19X in Oregon for under $600. When I brought here I could sell it for $1600 as only Gen 3 Glocks are allowed to be sold here. I gave it to my son-in-law as a gift. He was very happy with it. I still have my Glock 45 9mm. That one is a “forever gun”. I will never part with it even though I could get enough money for it to buy 3 Gen 3 Glocks. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s odd. I would think a “prohibited” gun would bring a premium. 

I bought a Glock 19X in Oregon for under $600. When I brought here I could sell it for $1600 as only Gen 3 Glocks are allowed to be sold here. I gave it to my son-in-law as a gift. He was very happy with it. I still have my Glock 45 9mm. That one is a “forever gun”. I will never part with it even though I could get enough money for it to buy 3 Gen 3 Glocks. 

The way it worked is this.

For handguns, generally speaking, if you had a .25 or .32 calibre handgun or one with a barrel less than 4.2 inches, when the new Firearms Act was passed, you were "Grandfathered" and given an exemption (12.6) allowing you to own it for the course of your life. You can only sell it to another person with the 12.6 exemption.

No new exemptions are granted. If you didn't own a 12.6 designated handgun when the law was passed, you can not legally own any now.

You can purchase additional 12.6 prohibited handguns but you must always own at least one 12.6 handguns to retain your exemption. If you sell off your last 12.6 designated handgun, you permanently lose your 12.6 "Grandfather" status and the ability to own 12.6  handguns. You can't get it back.

You can will a 12.6 designated handgun it to a blood relation, if the firearm was made prior to 1946, but they can't buy additional 12.6 handguns. (12.7 designation)

So, as you can imagine, the market for 12.6 designated handguns is shrinking all the time, as us oldsters with an exemption die off. Hence, the dropping value.

Full auto and a boxcar list of other long guns are another can of worms.

Be thankful you have the 2nd Amendment and the NRA working for you.

I need that Colt!  Had one a long time a go and had to sell it due to a unexpected major bill.  I'd love to get my hands on another.  It is a great lil  shooter.

I also need a Diamondback in .22LR....

Just now, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I need that Colt!  Had one a long time a go and had to sell it due to a unexpected major bill.  I'd love to get my hands on another.  It is a great lil  shooter.

Gotta find your own, Pard. Been waitin' a long time to get my hands on one. :D

There’s one here in a pawn shop but it’s pretty rough and he wants $650. I’m thinking about offering $450!

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I for one would not trade a G26 for a Colt DS

Well, I can easily buy another G26...after the silliness is over. Even if I can’t, no great loss. The arthritis in my wrist isn’t a fan of the stubby handled Glock, but I do understand your sentiment on the matter. 
The G26 is a fine SD weapon. 

I just want a Colt Det. Spec. a whole lot more than I want to keep the Glock. 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I can easily buy another G26...after the silliness is over. Even if I can’t, no great loss. The arthritis in my wrist isn’t a fan of the stubby handled Glock, but I do understand your sentiment on the matter. 
The G26 is a fine SD weapon. 

I just want a Colt Det. Spec. a whole lot more than I want to keep the Glock. 

No sentiment at all. I don't care for either. :lol:

The 26 is too stubby and the DS has too short of a sight radius, but that's just me....

2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

No sentiment at all. I don't care for either. :lol:

The 26 is too stubby and the DS has too short of a sight radius, but that's just me....

Hmmm...so why bother? :P

Hmmm, let's see... trade a piece of butt-ugly [but practical] piece of plastic for a beautifully machined, artistically beautiful classic? Boy howdy, that's a tough one...:)

Archived