SASS Wire Forum

Any musical types out there?

Doc Shapiro

The enjoyment of the listener is fully half of why I like to play.
I've never visited nor played in a honky tonk, but I sure could get behind playing that upbeat stuff all night long.
A band worth hiring again, should get people moving on the dance floor, get 'em thirsty, and get 'em hooked up by closing time.

well I played for a lot of years , I liked playin' in the honky tonks , relly disliked stage shows , 

if ya can NOT put folks on the floor , ya ain't doin your job 

have not picked up the bass , flat top , mandlin , or a banjo , for at least 10 years , 

it became a job , instead of fun , 

CB 

42 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well I played for a lot of years , I liked playin' in the honky tonks , relly disliked stage shows , 

if ya can NOT put folks on the floor , ya ain't doin your job 

have not picked up the bass , flat top , mandlin , or a banjo , for at least 10 years , 

it became a job , instead of fun , 

CB 

Dittoes on that. I played drums for a living (for 20+ years (supplemented that with about 30 drum students) It got to be a job, playing the same songs over and over and keeping the crowd dancing! I now enjoy sitting down playing my acoustic guitar (not very well) and amusing myself. I'm getting better, the trick is play lots of scales and learn lots of different chords and positions. Guitar is a hard instrument but it's lots of fun too!

I left my last band in 2016 when we had to pull up and move to San Diego to handle my dementia mother.

I have mixed feelings about finding another band.
I really enjoyed playing... but really hated the choice of (elevator) music, the lack of professionalism on stage and the constant hard-Left banter of the band leader and his buddy.

We played tunes around fixed drum tracks written and played by computer.

The guitar player was pretty adept at writing decent drum tracks.

I play everything but drums, so I figure I could multi-track myself to tracks in Sonar over drum tracks, and play solo.
My interest today is more in playing for audience entertainment...
I look back at the old Buck Owens TV shows, et al, and so admire the musicianship and showmanship of entertaining the audience.

We played a pretty cool gig last night!!  It was great to get out and perform for an audience!!

We play Blues, Classic Rock, Rock Oldies, and a LOT of Southern Rock. You can dance to it, (most of it anyway) but most people kick back and soak up the music, order more beverages, and hoot, holler, and cary on!!

We played four sets and the place stayed as full as was allowed.  

When this foolishness is over, we’ll get our keyboard/violin player and our second drummer/vocalist back. Six vocals, six versatile musicians, and me!! Aerosmith to ZZ Top and stuff most bands won’t even attempt!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

On 11/14/2020 at 12:55 PM, bgavin said:

Photo taken circa 1975 at my Dad's place in Horseshoe Bend, ID.
My (ex) wife demanded I practice in the truck and not in the house.

2020-01.hobby.1976.bruce.selfie.banjo.horseshoe.band.inc.details.sepia41.360.sfw.jpg

Good reason to make her a ex-wife.

When you are not allowed in the choir in a Baptist Church, you know you have NO musical ability...

I hate you talented people:D

Archived