SASS Wire Forum

Any musical types out there?

Doc Shapiro

Well, considering I'm nearly out of primers, I've been spending a lot of time getting my mojo back with my bass guitar.  The gear acquisition syndrome is as strong with that as it is with gun stuff. 

Any other players of musical instruments out there?

Piano.  But Grandson #2 (Pete T Younger) is the real talent - classical cello. jax sax, and anything else he can get his hands on.

I tell folks I’m instrumentally challenged.  The rest of the guys in the band say to leave the “instru” off!! :rolleyes: :lol:

I tune and repair pianos for a living, I’m semi-retired now but I still do about 5-6 pianos a week sometimes more. I’m actually a drummer and not so good guitar player. I also play piano but I’m not a classically trained pianist by far. 
I amuse myself playing my guitar. It gets my mind off the world’s problems!

I play trumpet and flugelhorn in a big band that I co-lead.  Thanks to COVID, we have not been able to rehearse or gig since March.

Dan - LJB.jpg

Lake Jazz Band.jpg

41 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

I play trumpet and flugelhorn in a big band that I co-lead.  Thanks to COVID, we have not been able to rehearse or gig since March.

Dan - LJB.jpg

Lake Jazz Band.jpg

That's too bad! I hope things get better for you. That's cool I love big band jazz! 

We’ve been able to do a few small gigs, one large outdoor event, one medium sized private party and another small outdoor show.

I won’t complain! Most small acts around have been idle since the middle of March!!

Like Ozark Shark I am a trumpet player. Big Band, Polka, Dixieland, small brass quintets, large brass groups, concert bands and solo work.

After a major hernia repair several years back, playing has given me much discomfort and pain. No matter what I try, I have severe lower ab pain due to how i use my muscles to control air. Since covid hit us in the face I have not played since last March and much to my surprise I've not had one lick of lower abdominal hernia related pain from playing.  And I very much enjoy not being in pain constantly. I'll try playing again in January and see what happens but I may be at the end of that gig. :(

10 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Well, considering I'm nearly out of primers, I've been spending a lot of time getting my mojo back with my bass guitar.  The gear acquisition syndrome is as strong with that as it is with gun stuff. 

Any other players of musical instruments out there?

Not in over sixty years.  Used to play piano, alto and tenor saxophones, and six string acoustic guitar.  I picked up a tenor sax a while back and my  fingers just went naturally into place as if I had put it down the night before.

Did stroke on the dulcimer. Saturday nights grandpa on the fiddle, grandma on the piana, one brother-in-law on the getar the other on the washtub and my wife on another dulcimer. Played for hours after supper. Great times

B-Flat Trumpet, B-flat cornet, B-flat Flugel horn, C-Trumpet. Haven't played in about two years now, missing front teeth not sure if I can get the sound I'm used to. Half afraid to try. I've played in concert bands, church groups, belong to BAA, and have also sat in with the wife's alumni band during sit down concerts. Used  to play lead or first trumpet, was first chair first in high school 3 out of four years:rolleyes::(:blush:

I hung up the guitar years ago. Lately I’ve been thinking of starting again. Despite the old fingers.

I used to play the trumpet and cornet,  now days it's more piano and mandolin.   Basically whatever I feel like teaching myself to play.  I cant read music that well so it's by ear.      I also have been known to sing in a few different choirs if someone twisted my arm hard enough.

I play Hammered Dulcimer in the intro to this video I made. l also play guitar and try mandolin, but I don't have enough time to practice it.

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I also have been known to sing in a few different choirs

For decades I promised God something big in exchange for being able to sing.  He's run out of time.

I have taken guitar lessons for quite awhile as an adult, but I remain not very good at it. One reason is I don’t practice as much as I should, but after years of martial arts and other things, my fine motor control isn’t what I would like. I also have a problem just relaxing and letting it happen, getting into the “zen” of it, if you will. So, I pretty much just play for me. Both of my daughters are talented, though.

The only thing musical about me is my son, Sassparilla Kid.  ^_^

645530432_RyConcert2.JPG.386b2870b6eaced178bbfee81f786934.JPG             RyandLenny.jpg.57365409dc1fbcbaa715a778db21f4ff.jpg

Hey Doc.

I can finger pick a 12-string guitar (Ovation electric)

But mostly, I like the 6 string.   Still feel like I'm learning something new everyday.

..........Widder

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I hung up the guitar years ago. Lately I’ve been thinking of starting again. Despite the old fingers.

Just do it!!;)

8 hours ago, MizPete said:

Wish you were here.  My 1898 Baldwin upright needs it.

How long has it been? You can call the nearest Steinway or Yamaha piano dealer to get someone reliable. Wish I lived closer!;)

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Doc.

But mostly, I like the 6 string.   Still feel like I'm learning something new everyday.

..........Widder

Hey WIDDER!!  My buddies that play guitar for a living, ( and there are several) all say that they still learn something new every day!!  You orta' see 'em when a few of us get together to jam or rehearse!!  Somebody's eyes are ALWAYS suddenly popping wide open and they're hollerin' "Hey!!  Wait a minute!!  Show me that lick again!!!"

Photo taken circa 1975 at my Dad's place in Horseshoe Bend, ID.

My (ex) wife demanded I practice in the truck and not in the house.
Today, I still have the banjo.
I put a new set of strings on it about 20 years back... didn't help a bit.

2020-01.hobby.1976.bruce.selfie.banjo.horseshoe.band.inc.details.sepia41.360.sfw.jpg

14 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Doc.

..........Widder

Hey Widder.  Have you ever seen Leo Kottke finger pick the 12 string?  The man is a genius on the 12 stringer.

Can play guitar fairly well, haven't played seriously for a few months now. I have 2 Epiphones, my Hummingbird acoustic and my Johnny A electric.

My wife and All 4 Kids each play at least 3 different instruments , me I had all 8 fingers Crushed in a construction accident and that ended my picking an Strumming Days ....

With the cutting back on CAS shooting this year I git my Old Suzuki back on the Road ... After a few trips of two up my wife decided that we needed something more comfortable if we were to do any longer rides ... So.

I bought a 2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 With bags and trunk, with only 16,474 Km. on the clock ...

Jabez Cowboy  

Archived