SASS Wire Forum

etiquette when hurt at football

Trigger Mike

I have a question about football.  My 15 year old didn't get played much , as in about the last 5 minutes of each game even though they lost each game 52 or more to 0.  He is not that good.  the last game he played he got called for unnecessary roughness on a drive that they were finally making progress that cost them 20 yards total.  He hurt his shoulder a while back in a game (in just 5 minutes playing time which tells me he needs another sport).  We took him to the doctor, he said there was swelling but he would be fine.  He had popped it out of place.  

During practice this week they were practicing hitting each other with enough force one of them got his helmet bent by the facemask.  He popped his shoulder out again.  This time the doctor put him in a brace, scheduled him for an MRI and told him no sports or weight lifting until further notice.  one of the other players that broke his ankle during summer practice got out of the cast, played right away and not is in a cast again due to bone shards in his tendon.  he played too soon.

My question is since there is one game left, is he supposed to still go to each practice and watch?  The other hurt players do that but it doesn't make sense to me.  

at most there may be a playoff game even though they never won a game.  I did tell him he can go to tomorrow nights game and stay on the sidelines to be with his friends.  

If he's on the team, he's on the team!!  You go where the team goes and you support the team!!  

I have to ask, did you ever play team sports??  That he wants to be there speaks very highly of him!!

I played Freshman football. Dislocated my thumb. The Dr put it in a split and said no more contact sports until it healed. There were more games left than the one your son’s team has left. I went to practices and the coach asked me to take over the equipment manager job. The kid who was doing it wasn’t very reliable or enthusiastic. So before every practice I handed out the pads from the drying room, dressed in my regular gym cloths and ran laps with the team before scrimmage practice. Then back to the locker room to take the pads back and rack them up. Two of my friends from that team remained good friends through the rest of High School. I didn’t play after that as I was more interested in the Band. My two friends played through their senior year. Football players and Band members were not in the same social group but my two buddies remained. 
If he wants to attend practices and games let him.

Just my 2c.

CJ

Very helpful.   Thanks to all for the replies.  I played one year of little league baseball and it never came up and 1 year of high school soccer but since my parents made me miss lots of practice because it was not convenient for them to get me, I never got to play in a game and finally gave up.   I wanted to play more sports but it was not possible, so it taught me sports are unimportant so your replies help.

Agree with all the above.

Crazy Gun Barney nailed it.

I played football and baseball in HS and football in college. I also played football in the army and a lot of baseball until I got too busy with work in my 30's. All team sports are TEAM sports, everyone is a member of the team , even when hurt and not playing. Pretty traditional to go to practices, game and any other team activities unless excused by the coach. 

Howdy,

I wanted to play football for the Bears. 

I got a broken arm playing touch football.

A couple years later I played more and watched a friend get piled on

and a broken leg. He limps to this day.

I decided to start lifting weights back when hardly anyone did.

I read some magazines and bought some weights new and used.

My Dad helped me build benches and weight racks in the basement.

Over 18 months I put on 30 or so pounds of muscle.

That kid sounds like me back then.

If he really wants to play he will have to put on some real muscle.

Lifting weights in a careful program is one way to go.

This means eating right and very slowly adding weight to those barbells and

dumbbells'.....

The trick is to NOT hurt yourself by trying to outlift people.

If somebody asks how much can you lift? the answer is 'Enough to work out.'

Push too hard and pull something and get set back eight weeks.

The kid will have to know when to walk away from abusive training.

Self appointed coaches can get kids hurt for life.

All sports at that level should be FUN.

NOT trips to the doc or the emergency room.

Best

CR

I would suggest that team sports teaches a life lesson, that if you want to be successful, you have to work at it, day in and day out and that you need to associate with other people doing the same to succeed in reaching your goals.

Sadly I never learned those lessons ;)

Just my opinion but you could eliminate HS sports and put the money into trade school programs that actually benefit kids their whole life. Not everyone needs to go to college. And not everyone is going to get a college sports scholarship or play in professional sports. It's delusional.

1 minute ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

And not everyone is going to get a college sports scholarship or play in professional sports. It's delusional

Again, just my opinion, but high school sports and team sports in general from T-ball and peewee football thru high school sports are less about creating professional adult athletes and are more about teaching important life lessons such as listening to those in authority, working together with a team while at the same time striving to meet personal goals that are aligned with the team goals, learning the important lessons about how to win and lose, and how to deal with winning and losing.

I shudder to think about a world where the people in charge grew up getting "participation trophies" for everything without having to be part of a real life team and without ever having had to deal with loss... or important wins.  How you deal with a win is as important as how you deal with a loss....

I spent  most my sophomore season with a seperated shoulder.  Still went to every practice, every game.  Did everything I could for workouts.  When the team did pushups I did one armed pushups.  Yes it took me longer but I still did the same amount.  I ran the sprints .   When they did full contact stuff I did shuttle runs, resistance pulls or worked on field goal kicking.  .  .   You're there for the team.   Everybody depends on you to do your job or the team loses.   Even if that job is just helping teammates remember plays, cheering from the sidelines.  Watching the other teams for weakness.  Sometimes the strongest person on the team is physically the weakest. 

I only played 4 games that year but was voted mvp and ended up getting a scholarship  for college on the reputation from that.  It didnt hurt that I could kick like crazy  and run a 10 second open 100 though lol

My grandson plays Junior hockey (18, 19, 20 yr olds)  if he is injured but can still get around, he must be at the game, even if he is scheduled not to play a game, he must attend. When you get to that level of hockey the players must arrive at the area in suits, shirts and ties.  Same if they are attending as injured or not scheduled to play. When they get on the bus to go to another town or city, they are dressed that way..

Just as an aside, that must be the only sport that requires that dress code.  I have seen pro football players arrive for a game dressed in whatever feels good.  Not sure about baseball as we only have one MLB team and it is 2000 miles away (Toronto Blue Jays).  I know at the minor ball level, regardless of age group the players seem to arrive in uniform.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Just my opinion but you could eliminate HS sports and put the money into trade school programs that actually benefit kids their whole life. Not everyone needs to go to college. And not everyone is going to get a college sports scholarship or play in professional sports. It's delusional.

If it hadn't been for my football ability, I probably would not have earned an Engineering Degree from a very prestigious private university in southern California. My parents could not have afforded to send me to that school for sure. I know of a lot of friends children who earned college scholarships in swimming, water polo, golf, and baseball and received a great education. 

Industrial Arts definitely has a place in high school studies, but so do sports. 

4 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Again, just my opinion, but high school sports and team sports in general from T-ball and peewee football thru high school sports are less about creating professional adult athletes and are more about teaching important life lessons such as listening to those in authority, working together with a team while at the same time striving to meet personal goals that are aligned with the team goals, learning the important lessons about how to win and lose, and how to deal with winning and losing.

I shudder to think about a world where the people in charge grew up getting "participation trophies" for everything without having to be part of a real life team and without ever having had to deal with loss... or important wins.  How you deal with a win is as important as how you deal with a loss....

Where have you been? They have been giving our participation trophies for 35 years. T-Ball, they don't keep score because they don't want kids getting upset over loosing. Gen-X and the Millennial's were raised with this.

4 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I agree with you on that.   I discovered though that the real reason for football came out in a budget meeting at a private school.   The headmaster said the revenue from football was dramatically more than double all other sources of revenue combined,  including $4,400 per child tuition. 

4 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Where have you been? They have been giving our participation trophies for 35 years. T-Ball, they don't keep score because they don't want kids getting upset over loosing. Gen-X and the Millennial's were raised with this.

He went to tonights game that was 2 and half hours away and they got beat 48 to 6 (YEA, they actually scored) and my son called to tell me he should have played this game because three other players got hurt, two with the same dislocated shoulder that he has.  I was listening on the radio and it was sad.  the coach keeps them in a shotgun formation yet every game the center over hikes the ball over the quarterbacks head or hikes it too short and often the other team scores on the fumble.  I keep asking my son why doesn't the coach do like the other teams and have the quarterback right behind the center.  They don't know and think I am dumb for asking.  

I will be ecstatic when this season is over and done and never intend to let them play football again.  the team is so small they only have 13 players so they get hurt from being over played.  The kid that broke his ankle got out of a cast, went back to playing even though the dr said not to and got back in a cast again.  If his shoulder can take it we will try to get him into baseball or basketball, but not football.

You should let you athlete choose what sport the want to play!!  I kept my son from playing football for several years because I didn't want him to suffer the injuries that wound up plaguing me in later years.  

I finally relented when the local middle school coach came to my house to ask for Hatfield to be allowed to play! He was a good coach, (you have to have played to understand that) and he assured me that he would do the right things to teach and protect the boy.

My son was already playing baseball and basketball and working on weekends in the pits with me at the race track.  HELL!  One more thing wouldn't make that much difference.

His freshman year, he decided to drop basketball and concentrate on baseball, letting football be his offseason game to stay in shape. He made the high school football team but missed making the varsity baseball team, so he played JV baseball and varsity football.  He missed lettering in football by four plays his first year with the varsity, (a player had to be on the field for a minimum number of plays during the regular and post season to qualify) but the coach begged for him to return.

He wound up with five letters in high school and played all he wanted to!!  His coaches all praised his drive and attitude!!  It paved his way to college, although he didn't stay.  

He has since coached youth baseball and, for awhile, ran the local league's umpire program!  He even coached a19 and under county baseball team!

I kinda' regret that I refused to allow him to play youth football.  Perhaps he would have been a better player in early high school ball!  He played well against a couple of kids who went on to play pro football and might have stayed in school had he been more experienced and gotten noticed earlier!!

I say, "Let the athlete decide!!" and support their decision!!!

Archived