SASS Wire Forum

Frontiersman - Hardest?

Tequila Shooter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

You guys have me thinking. Not always a good thing......Been wanting to try something different and Frontiersman may be exactly what I'm looking for.  Think I'll try it. :) Thanks for the fun topic.

Long Hunter

I blame J Bar and Noz for showing me what a great time one can have as a Frontiersman.  Can’t thank them enough.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:24 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Remember; If you can't laugh at yourself then Frontiersman is not for you. 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:22 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

As I recall, it was Nuttin' Graceful who observed: "When shooting Frontiersman, you are one trigger pull away from disaster." + having a great time

Each Frontiersman can relate.

@Long Hunter SASS #20389L like they said above - truer words were never spoken.  And @J-BAR #18287 hope yuh don’t mind i added that last part.

Frontiersman Ain't nutten hard about it. Just a bunch of fire and smoke. And where there's smoke, there's fire!

May 2018 shoot 2.jpg

12 hours ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

You guys have me thinking. Not always a good thing......Been wanting to try something different and Frontiersman may be exactly what I'm looking for.  Think I'll try it. :) Thanks for the fun topic.

Long Hunter

Pick up a single shot rifle to go with the cap guns and you can shoot a Plainsman side match (my favorite side match).

having shot Frontersman with NOZ , and J Bar a couple of times , My times are pretty close to the same as shooting smokeless , being a duelest 

maybe a a couple secs. slower , those shoots were a hoot , as I tried all sorts styles 

thinking I got a P on every stage 

CB 

BUT ,  B)Ihad FUN 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Griff said:

Likening Frontiersman to a suppository category is sacrilegious.  

And totally illegal in Texas !!  :D

We had some crazy BP people one year at Bar 3 - it was either at one of the SASS Senior Games shoots or at Comin-at -Cha. They put on a campaign to get participants for Frontiersman & ended up getting about 25 or so people to sign up. Only about half had cap guns or had even ever shot one but those who did brought extras in the way of pistols, rifles, shotguns and LOTS of extra ammo. We took turns loading or helping shooters with cap pistols and coaching,  if asked, with single shot rifle technique. It was just great to see people laughing, choking and fumbling, some all at the same time. Twas enough to even make Griff smile  :o  :D  Seriously GOOD TIMES !

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yusta B

You know that its all your fault I am now shooting Frontiersman in addition to FCD. 

You just had to tell me the Darkside had cookies. :P :D :lol:

I don't regret it a bit !  :D

4 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

We had some crazy BP people one year at Bar 3 - it was either at one of the SASS Senior Games shoots or at Comin-at -Cha. They put on a campaign to get participants for Frontiersman & ended up getting about 25 or so people to sign up. Only about half had cap guns or had even ever shot one but those who did brought extras in the way of pistols, rifles, shotguns and LOTS of extra ammo. We took turns loading or helping shooters with cap pistols and coaching,  if asked, with single shot rifle technique. It was just great to see people laughing, choking and fumbling, some all at the same time. Twas enough to even make Griff smile  :o  :D  Seriously GOOD TIMES !

Happy Thanksgiving my friend from a fellow Frontiersman.

I realize that many of you long time Frontiersman will cringe at this, but I wanted to share it anyway. 

I got interested in shooting Cap & Ball Black Powder pistols, the same year that I tore my left rotator cuff and had surgery.  I shoot left handed, and unfortunately, my left side never recovered to the same strength level that I had before, so it is most difficult for me to shoot one handed.

I shoot at Pleasant Valley Renegades in Southeastern Indiana, and they graciously accommodated my needs by creating a “Renegade” category, which is exactly the same as Frontiersman, EXCEPT you can shoot your pistols two-handed.  This gave me the opportunity to enjoy shooting my Remington 1858’s by making some smoke and flames.:ph34r:

Dutch thanks pard, that is just what we needed to hear, Renegade.  I seldom handle anything much heavier than this key board now days but if I tried, it would likely need to be something similar to Renegade.  SASS needs to consider making that available as a new offering for those of us with with uhhh no mo led syndrome.      

6 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I realize that many of you long time Frontiersman will cringe at this, but I wanted to share it anyway. 

I got interested in shooting Cap & Ball Black Powder pistols, the same year that I tore my left rotator cuff and had surgery.  I shoot left handed, and unfortunately, my left side never recovered to the same strength level that I had before, so it is most difficult for me to shoot one handed.

I shoot at Pleasant Valley Renegades in Southeastern Indiana, and they graciously accommodated my needs by creating a “Renegade” category, which is exactly the same as Frontiersman, EXCEPT you can shoot your pistols two-handed.  This gave me the opportunity to enjoy shooting my Remington 1858’s by making some smoke and flames.:ph34r:

792583694_LonesomeRyderJuly2019.jpg.1cb5e29bcc3423e6282a95f5ca4d8325.jpg

Lonesone Ryder shoots cap guns with two hands in frontier cartridge category. 

Prior to 1989 SASS was all of a year old, tho' cowboy shooting had been around about 8 or 9 years (depending upon who you want to believe), and had 3 categories, Modern, Traditional, & Black Powder (suppository handguns not allowed).  Everything was shot 2-handed, in fact, some folks didn't think it would be SAFE for folks to shoot one-handed...  And watching some folks back in the day... I didn't disagree!

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Prior to 1989 SASS was all of a year old, tho' cowboy shooting had been around about 8 or 9 years (depending upon who you want to believe), and had 3 categories, Modern, Traditional, & Black Powder (suppository handguns not allowed).  Everything was shot 2-handed, in fact, some folks didn't think it would be SAFE for folks to shoot one-handed...  And watching some folks back in the day... I didn't disagree!

I really can’t think of any reason (other than adding another category) why it shouldn’t be allowed.  If you think about it we already have FCD and FC.  Maybe limit it to Senior and above call it Frontiersman Duelist  and Frontiersman.  I hope @Noz doesn’t get mad at me.

Once in Canada, I shot my ten gauge 3-1/2 chock full of heavy black in an enclosed jail house. There was no wind. I darn near asphyiciasted the TG. :D Tex was right after me. That sure finished off that guy!!!   <_<

53 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Once in Canada, I shot my ten gauge 3-1/2 chock full of heavy black in an enclosed jail house. There was no wind. I darn near asphyiciasted the TG. :D Tex was right after me. That sure finished off that guy!!!   <_<

I wish I could get my hands on a decent 10 gauge so I could make a big boom.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:22 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

At Tennessee State I heard several shooters remark that the BOOM from my SG could be felt in their chest...

Yup!  I was there.  I enjoyed shooting the BP side match with you.

The SG was cool, but your Spencer stole the show for me.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Could you imagine the reaction that they had back in the day when cartridge revolvers came on the scene? I bet they could hardly wait to get their hands on one!:)

Maybe, but not a great advantage until simultaneous ejection...

On 11/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Could you imagine the reaction that they had back in the day when cartridge revolvers came on the scene? I bet they could hardly wait to get their hands on one!:)

Every time I load my c&b revolvers, I’m reminded of what a marvelous invention the metallic cartridge is!

Howdy...

I been out for quite a while....But I have this to say.....Frontiersman Category.....Hardest?   Naww...just more of a challenge.

I shot CAS in Frontiersman category exc;usive;ly from 2004 to 2017.   Finally had to quit entirely in 2018 due to severe pain from a bad right hip.

I did manage to make End Of Trail once, and Winter Range once during those years.  I never did much better than "middle f the pack"

but nobody ever had more fun at it than I did.  Once figured out,  the same consecutively numbered  pair of Uberti 1851 Navy revolvers gave

outstanding and nearly total reliability for the entire time. ...As did my old reliable 1873 rifle, and  TTN double.  I've kept them all cleaned and "ready" since.

Since I left the field, our local club here in Fairbanks, GHSS, has gone under...mostly due to age and death of most of the active members.

To add insuilt to iinjury, the lease was cancelled on our private range as the property changed hands.  So that is gone forever.

Some of the folks here have been shooting at another range, but I haven't attended due to getting the hip thing straightened out. 

Now in late 2020,  I have a new right hip and am feeling better, but at age 78, I don't know now if I will get back in the game anymore.

I am disheartened about the cancellation of so much shooting activity at the larger shoots around the country due to the Covid pandemic,

but that's the way it goes.

I'll be lurking about from time to time as long as SASS is there, I guess.  I have totally enjoyed shooting with all of you fellow Frontiersmen I ran across

over the years .

For now...."Vaya con Dios  mis Amigos"

Brasspounder   SASS 9076

Ed Trump

Fairbanks, Alaska

Archived