SASS Wire Forum

Frontiersman - Hardest?

Tequila Shooter

7 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get Tequila and OJ off of a keyboard?

I have to admit I had to re-read your post a couple of times to realize that you weren’t talking about me and someone named OJ :ph34r:  ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Ol' Brad is a Soot Lord from Arkansas who visits Missouri occasionally.   Notice how delicately he holds that flamethrower.

1912345221_bradfirecopy.thumb.jpg.fbd744476f2b11030208280566012961.jpg

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Four bushwhackin' Missouri Frontiersmen from a few years ago.  Sadly, Rootin' Tootin' Range Bum has left us, Noz and Fingers McGee are shooting less, and J-Bar is shooting slowly.  Stuff happens.

IMG_5221.jpg.2b3f624550e093f4b4b41625a7d03a79.jpg

Rootin' Tootin' Range Bum, J-Bar, Noz, Fingers McGee.

Wouldn't want to get stuck behind these guys at the loading table!:P

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wouldn't want to get stuck behind these guys at the loading table!:P

Actually you would love us!  We only cap at the loading table, having charged our chambers elsewhere, and each of us can/(could) get our guns ready to go as fast as any cartridge shooter.  And each of us took great pride in pulling our share of posse chores, including running the timer.

So there!

-_-

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Actually you would love us!  We only cap at the loading table, having charged our chambers elsewhere, and each of us can/(could) get our guns ready to go as fast as any cartridge shooter.  And each of us took great pride in pulling our share of posse chores, including running the timer.

So there!

-_-

Yup! I seen ‘em do it!

J-Bar and Fingers taught  me a lot about managing Frontiersman, especially about simplicity and efficiency. Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Yep.

Snap, crackle and finally pop if them pistol loads aren't squashed just right or the air is damp.

Just another thing to make it a challenge :ph34r:  it makes me wonder what it was really like back then.

On 11/13/2020 at 6:03 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Its also hard when  its 90 degrees and your sweat drops into the cylinder whilei you're loading!:(

That's why I get the hankering to get my cap guns out only in the spring or fall! ;)

I am guessing it has been at least four or five years since giving up cowboying matches but  by my last two or three years shooting I was mostly alone making the smoke locally.  At the height of our Smoke shooting there were sometimes as high as three to five shooters making smoke at local matches, counting an occasional visitor or two.  Looking back I seem to have memories of the smoke makers as being the most fun people to shoot with, always great and interesting characters with sumthin funny to say (and sumtimes shocking) so gentile fokes had to keep the younguns at a bit of a distance!!  In order to understand the occasional off color mumble one might hear,  just touch the eye of a lit stove one time and remember that this is similat to what a cap-n-baller might suffer two or three times in the excitement of a hotly contested match against others of his ilk.  As other Frontiersmen disappeared I did tend to go towards FCD with converted Remington '58s.  A lot has changed BUT the old ways were good and I am glad I have their memories.  

Frontiersman is hard with stock guns. 

Frontiersman is hard if it is raining.  The guns will fire in the rain, but the trick is keeping them dry while loading. 

Frontiersman is hard on small posses. 

It is hard to avoid talking while loading cap guns.

I know there are plenty of guys that use subs, but in my opinion cap guns are hard to keep running with anything other than real black powder.

It is HARD to have a bad match while shooting frontiersman.  Rain or shine, good or bad, frontiersman is a lot of fun!

I have had cap fragments end up in both my rifle and open shotgun, so its a little more to think about what it comes to certain stages.  I close the dust cover on my 73 if I know I will be shooting over my staged rifle and I try to simply avoid shooting over my staged shotgun.  The term "your mileage may very" applies heavily to Frontiersman, i.e. what works fine for one shooter might not work for another.  The important thing is to figure out what works best for you and stick with it. 

Other than that Frontiersman is pretty much Frontier Cartridge Duelist. 

14 minutes ago, July Smith said:

...Frontiersman is pretty much Frontier Cartridge Duelist. 

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!:P

3 hours ago, Griff said:

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!:P

3 hours ago, July Smith said:

Now you are being like main stream media and only quoting a fraction of what I said out of context.  You should change your alias to something like CNN.:P

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Likening Frontiersman to a suppository category is sacrilegious.  

Time to get the popcorn this is getting good :lol:

Of course I’m kidding Frontiersmen joke and kid each other like the brotherhood it is.

Shot an Indiana State around 06 give or take where the last 2 stages were shot in heavy down pour and they all went off.  Loaded under my hat, keep guns under the hat till capped.  After that I carried a golf umbrella in the truck and put on gun cart if raining.

With the shortage of reloading supplies and all the wire posts lately about frontiersman, I’ve decided to dedicate myself to my cap guns again for a while. Checked my inventory today and I have about 1500 balls and a little over 1k Remington #10 caps along with enough powder to get me going. Who knows, this cap and ball thing might not be just a passing fad, lol

30 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

With the shortage of reloading supplies and all the wire posts lately about frontiersman, I’ve decided to dedicate myself to my cap guns again for a while. Checked my inventory today and I have about 1500 balls and a little over 1k Remington #10 caps along with enough powder to get me going. Who knows, this cap and ball thing might not be just a passing fad, lol

Be careful you might just become addicted.

2 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Then we can expect to see you @ BAC next year shooting C&B Gunfighter?  ;)

1 minute ago, doc roy l. pain said:

No gunfighter, but maybe frontiersman 

Either way... look forward to seeing y'all again!

On 11/14/2020 at 4:49 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

Would you call it a spotter’s nightmare? 4 Frontiersman back to back :ph34r: :lol:

But, do you see any mosquitoes around??  Nobody talks about the positive points of shooting black.

BS

See mosquitoes? You can't even see the unloading table?

10 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

See mosquitoes? You can't even see the unloading table?

You know that you’re a “Sultan of Smoke” when the person working the ULT can’t even see the table :ph34r:

It can be done. 

I was hitting the big plate but not going down.  I had to hit it higher.  My Black Friday Cabela's Confederate 44s that were on sale for $138 each. Completely stock with some action clean-up. 

The weather has not been favorable for shooting here lately - thunderstorms and windy days gusts up to 50 mph.  I've been wanting to get my cap guns out and shoot them. Yesterday was the only calm day we've had in weeks.  I got out and cut firewood in until noon.  I planned to take the afternoon off and shoot my cap guns. But I set in my recliner too long and felt the pain of cutting firewood instead.

3 hours ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Tequila you call that smoke we can still see you.  I think I like your loads.  What were your loads?  One of the best pictures I have seen showing the smoke.

For SG I’m using brass hulls with 3.7cc of APP, 2 fiber wads, and 1 ⅛ oz of shot.

My rifle and pistol are .45C (when I’m not shooting Frontiersman then it’s .44) is 17 (+/-) gr of APP with a 200gr pill.

Funny,  I do video of our club matches and have the cameras set up in front of the stages.  The cameras are action cams so take a wide angle shot.  I often crop then in to better frame the shooter.  But often in the raw video I see the posse moving back and trying to get out of the smoke or using something to try to fan it away. :lol:

At Tennessee State I heard several shooters remark that the BOOM from my SG could be felt in their chest.

I purchased 2 1/2 cases of Black Dawg Cartridge Co loads from a shooter that was forced into retirement.

One day soon I am going to have to cut one open and see exactly what load is in them. They have a good giggle factor and when I run out I want to be able to duplicate the load. 

@Sedalia Dave let me know when you do, I love big booms!  Are you going to Darkness Falls/A Dark Day on the Santa Fe in January?  I’m trying to decide, but if I do I’m thinking of entering either Sultan of Smoke or King of Kaboom.

32 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Sedalia Dave let me know when you do, I love big booms!  Are you going to Darkness Falls/A Dark Day on the Santa Fe in January?  I’m trying to decide, but if I do I’m thinking of entering either Sultan of Smoke or King of Kaboom.

Wish I could.  But right now funds are in short supply.

Archived