SASS Wire Forum

Clean shot powder - reviews

Eyesa Horg

As I run low on Clays and it's lack of availability--- I've heard some good things about Cleanshot by Shooters World. It appears to be less expensive and is  available. I reload for .38 sp, 45c,C45S and shotgun.

Any of you Pards have an opinion on the stuff?

I think I have enough Clays to get thru next season and also have a decent amount of Clay-Dot, but wouldn't mind using a cheaper product if it will be as good as Clays has been. My main concern is cleanliness being I shoot a Marlin in .45 colt.

Much Obliged in advance,

Eyesa

I used it mostly in 32 caliber.  Scarlett Darling might be able to give you information if it works on the other calibers.  Never tried it for shotgun.

I use it in the cartridges i shoot and sell ... I don’t load SG smokeless so... @Widder, SASS #59054 can really give you some information on it.... I sell it and would NOT lie however, I do think you might prefer to hear from someone who doesn’t get paid from Clean Shot. It meters BEAUTIFULLY, is reasonably priced AND, plentiful. 10,000 lbs of it arrived in a container not long ago with more in the pipeline... You are gonna have SOME residue from low velocity loads but not like the other SG powders. We load 4.5gr under 200gr 45 (I shoot a Marlin for WB and haven’t noticed it being especially dirty...). 3gr under 125gr 38. 

Captain George Baylor did a bunch of testing and wrote GREAT article In the October Chronicle. Granted, I gave him the product for his test however, his tests were his tests and I saw the article when it was published. Page 20 and 21...

Big hugs! Let me know if you want/need more Information. Bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com 

Scarlett

Unfortunately, there was a Black Powder substitute by American Pioneer Powder many years ago that was called Clean Shot.  I believe it was available in FFg and FFFg granulations.  It is Not the same as the smokeless CleanShot.

People should be very careful that they don't use old Clean Shot BP substitute with smokeless load data, or worse yet, use Clean Shot Smokeless with data from Clean Shot BP.

I load 3 gn of it in a 38 special under any bullet I can get in the case and have been very pleased with it. It is reasonably clean down at the low end but I found Tite Group to be cleaner at the low end but also found Clays to be dirtier down there. I have not tried in the shotgun loads. 

Snakebite

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I use it in the cartridges i shoot and sell ... I don’t load SG smokeless so... @Widder, SASS #59054 can really give you some information on it.... I sell it and would NOT lie however, I do think you might prefer to hear from someone who doesn’t get paid from Clean Shot. It meters BEAUTIFULLY, is reasonably priced AND, plentiful. 10,000 lbs of it arrived in a container not long ago with more in the pipeline... You are gonna have SOME residue from low velocity loads but not like the other SG powders. We load 4.5gr under 200gr 45 (I shoot a Marlin for WB and haven’t noticed it being especially dirty...). 3gr under 125gr 38. 

Captain George Baylor did a bunch of testing and wrote GREAT article In the October Chronicle. Granted, I gave him the product for his test however, his tests were his tests and I saw the article when it was published. Page 20 and 21...

Big hugs! Let me know if you want/need more Information. Bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com 

Scarlett

Do you plan to carry Mulit Purpose black substitute?   

It is a nice powder.  I found it just a little more "snappy" than Clays, but i really like it in my 9mm.

It is a ball powder that some measures leak just a bit since it is so fine - so it meters perfectly. 

Not like butter though.  I can't seem to get my measures to work nearly as well with butter - and the clean -up is terrible with butter.. :D:D:D

Works great in 12 ga! 13 to 16 gr with 1 oz of #7 1/2 or #8 with a Win WAA12SL wad in a AA or STS hull, Cheddite or Rem STS primer.

I use 16 gr because that's what the Lee Load All bushing drops; hand load to 13 gr for Raindrop cuz she likes the LNLR and 13 gr is pretty close.

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

3 gr in .38, 4.4 in ,44.,45 colt and acp, 14.1 in 12ga with 7/8 oz of shot and a Gray CB wad.

Imis

Tnx for the 12ga data. I'll have to give it a try. I've been using Extra Lite with 7/8 oz of shot and a Gray CB wad in Gun Club/STS hulls. Not sure about the exact charge, but I'm using a #23 bushing in my Mec. 

Howdy EYESA.   Hope you are doing well.

I use Clean Shot in my .32's, 9mm and I think I've used it in my C45S rounds, although I don't shoot those often.

MY OPIN:  great powder.  It meters like liquid mercury... ;)

It is very consistent in its metering, probably more so than any powder I've ever used,  which includes AA#9, H110 and Power Pistol.

AND, it is very consistent in its velocity performance.    And unlike Clays, it doesn't seem to be temperature sensitive.

Although we are very good friends, I buy my powder from Scarlett and my comments are not 'sponsored'.   She is a great

vendor for SASS.

..........Widder

18 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy EYESA.   Hope you are doing well.

I use Clean Shot in my .32's, 9mm and I think I've used it in my C45S rounds, although I don't shoot those often.

MY OPIN:  great powder.  It meters like liquid mercury... ;)

It is very consistent in its metering, probably more so than any powder I've ever used,  which includes AA#9, H110 and Power Pistol.

AND, it is very consistent in its velocity performance.    And unlike Clays, it doesn't seem to be temperature sensitive.

Although we are very good friends, I buy my powder from Scarlett and my comments are not 'sponsored'.   She is a great

vendor for SASS.

..........Widder

Widder, Thank you. The Missus and I are doing well and sick of this COVID cr_p.  How are you doing, all or basically recovered I hope.

Eyesa

Big Thank you to everyone, great info and sounds like a winner product. I appreciate all the load data, saves a lot of time when switching. Seems most of these powders we use all come in about the same weight wise, give or take a couple tenths.

Scarlett--Wish I lived closer, sure wouldn't mind a hug!;):wub:. Do you carry the 5# jugs?

Howdy Eyesa.

We are doing fine and so far, we have been able to steer clear of the Covid.  

I'm recovering fairly well from surgery.   I'm beginning to understand why the doctor says

it takes a few months, up to a year, to get recovered back to normal.

(yes, Scarlett carries Clean Shot in 5# jugs)

..........Widder

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 7:14 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Do you plan to carry Mulit Purpose black substitute?   

Already are! Don’t ship though except in case quantity - 12 pounds ... since you’re so close to Graf’s you can pick it up there. It’s currently in stock! :D

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Archived