SASS Wire Forum

Breaks in the Supply Chain

So...it's not just primers that are in short supply.

Doing some renovations in anticipation of putting our house on the market.  Replacing all the kitchen appliances - originals are now 27 years old.

Ordered all from Best Buy, including delivery, installation and haul-away, on Sept. 20; delivery promised in one week.

Here we are in November, and all that has arrived so far are the dishwasher (installed) and the cooktop (sitting on the floor in my dining room.  We're cooking on a single burner propane camp stove.

Have also received my 15th (count 'em - 15) email notification from Best Buy that they need to "reschedule" my delivery yet again.  After an hour on hold and talking with a non-English native speaker in customer service, I am now told that the oven is "no longer in stock" and not expected until December 7  (this despite the fact that I was previously told that the oven had arrived and they were waiting on the cooktop).  There's no other word for it - these people are liars; excuses over and over, inconsistent explanations, blaming "the system", pretending that I have no order pending, etc.

So I'm spending the day calling other appliance retailers.  Sad news all around regarding the lack of availability of Bosch appliances = sold out, sold out, no idea when the next shipment will arrive.  Four down, two more to call this morning.

Then making the rounds of plumbers and electricians - most of them are booking appointments starting in December.

It looks like it will be cold turkey this year.

LL

Same in Ca, mice eat the hose in my dishwasher .

I went to a store that usally has the best selection ,  out of 30 models 3 where in stock 

of course the higher priced ones , GF is very glad I did not get a cheap one ! this one is quiet 

Good luck getting your stuff 

My wife and I were looking at upright freezers. Selection and availability is very limited. We were going to settle on a Frigidaire that wasn't the right size but we decided to hold off.

That isn't the only thing is limited supply. We needed an Interstate battery for my wife's Suburban. We got lucky and found one but many places were out with no predicted delievery dates for that particular battery.

If you are looking for appliances DO NOT sell your old units until the new is installed. Refrigerators, Freezers, and stoves of any kind are all but non-existent in most of the country. 

Big box stores will sell them to you but unless it is on the floor You will be lucky to see it before next year if at all.

Have you checked out of state locations? It's possible that the retailer may ship your appliance via long distance trucking. Also check Home Depot and Lowes for your selections as they have locations throughout the US.

As far as the cold turkey, you may want to check into a "rental center". At least you won't have a cold meal.

Part II

Was successful in locating an oven; appliance dealer on Cape Cod had a cancellation on an order he placed with the manufacturer a month ago; so I get the last unit available, with delivery due on Nov. 18.  Only draw back is that I'll need to drive an hour to get it.

Best Buy manager called; all apologies, and fairly sincere.  Despite the BB customer service rep yesterday telling me that the oven would not be available unitil Dec. 7, he could arrange to have everythng delivered and installed by...Monday!  Voila, a nasty phone call and I get the service that should have been provided two months ago.

I told him I appreciated his efforts, but that I was cancelling the order.  He groaned, audibly.  Apparently, when a large order is cancelled, he must report to his superiors regarding the reasons for it.  Good; somebody needs to be accountable.

I will never darken the doorway of a Best Buy again.  Stuff like this makes you miss Sears..........

LL

6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Have you checked out of state locations? It's possible that the retailer may ship your appliance via long distance trucking. Also check Home Depot and Lowes for your selections as they have locations throughout the US.

As far as the cold turkey, you may want to check into a "rental center". At least you won't have a cold meal.

I work with two people that were strung along for months before first one store and then another cancelled their orders. The shortage is nation wide according to my local mom and pop store.

9 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Part II

Was successful in locating an oven; appliance dealer on Cape Cod had a cancellation on an order he placed with the manufacturer a month ago; so I get the last unit available, with delivery due on Nov. 18.  Only draw back is that I'll need to drive an hour to get it.

Best Buy manager called; all apologies, and fairly sincere.  Despite the BB customer service rep yesterday telling me that the oven would not be available unitil Dec. 7, he could arrange to have everythng delivered and installed by...Monday!  Voila, a nasty phone call and I get the service that should have been provided two months ago.

I told him I appreciated his efforts, but that I was cancelling the order.  He groaned, audibly.  Apparently, when a large order is cancelled, he must report to his superiors regarding the reasons for it.  Good; somebody needs to be accountable.

I will never darken the doorway of a Best Buy again.  Stuff like this makes you miss Sears..........

LL

OMG! Drive an hour??? Welcome to my world. :lol:

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Doing some renovations in anticipation of putting our house on the market.  Replacing all the kitchen appliances - originals are now 27 years old.

Ordered all from Best Buy, including delivery, installation and haul-away, on Sept. 20; delivery promised in one week.

Here we are in November, and all that has arrived so far are the dishwasher (installed) and the cooktop (sitting on the floor in my dining room.  We're cooking on a single burner propane camp stove.

Have also received my 15th (count 'em - 15) email notification from Best Buy that they need to "reschedule" my delivery yet again.  After an hour on hold and talking with a non-English native speaker in customer service, I am now told that the oven is "no longer in stock" and not expected until December 7  (this despite the fact that I was previously told that the oven had arrived and they were waiting on the cooktop).  There's no other word for it - these people are liars; excuses over and over, inconsistent explanations, blaming "the system", pretending that I have no order pending, etc.

So I'm spending the day calling other appliance retailers.  Sad news all around regarding the lack of availability of Bosch appliances = sold out, sold out, no idea when the next shipment will arrive.  Four down, two more to call this morning.

Then making the rounds of plumbers and electricians - most of them are booking appointments starting in December.

LL

34 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If you are looking for appliances DO NOT sell your old units until the new is installed. Refrigerators, Freezers, and stoves of any kind are all but non-existent in most of the country. 

Big box stores will sell them to you but unless it is on the floor You will be lucky to see it before next year if at all.

Ha! I bought a new W&D from Best Buy. I can't remember why (this was more than 5 years ago); but, Hubby moved them out on the porch.  The first delivery date, they were a "no show." They put us off so long that I needed to do laundry. Luckily I still had them and Hubby hooked them up. I saved a photo for my "You Know You're a Redneck" file. No, I don't really have one; but, here they are

PS The photo is dated 2016, which means they only lasted 8 years. I kept the bases, on a covered porch, to keep small yard implements, etc. in.

Ya know you're a redneck.JPG

I will no longer buy from Best Buy. They burned me on a laptop last year then they had the audacity to try and renew an expensive unwanted and unsigned for maintenance plan on my laptop without consulting or contacting me. This is not the first time they burned me but it is the last.

I'm experiencing similar issue with a new camper we purchased this year. The fridge was defective as new, not to mention 21 other warranty items.  Forest River says they can't even get appliance to finish building new units. So I still have a new camper that we can't really enjoy. The worst of it is it doesn't appear that anybody even gives a poop!:angry:

Home improvements stores are doing a booming business right now. With all the people working from home they've been doing at-home projects in between working on their PCs. The neighborhood around me all has new roofs and paint jobs, and plenty of new trees and lawns have gone in as well.

We just built a new house and moved in 3 days ago.  We were about to give our old, not so pretty but still working, upright freezer to a previous neighbor.  That is until we tried to buy a new one.  ZERO upright freezers at any of the big box stores or local appliance stores.  We decided to just keep the old ugly one.

10 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

One of the reasons I won't ever shop at Best Byr again.  They were playing this BS game at least six years before the virus hit.

9 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Yeah, but Loophole has to deal with Boston drivers for the hour. BTDT, glad I don't have to anymore. 

Actually, Boston drivers do not bother me; we are all predictably crazy in the same ways; I know that the cabby ahead of me in the left lane is going to cut in front of me to turn right at the next intersection; it's a given, and I can plan for it.

What screws things up are rubbah-neckahs and tourists; they obstruct the break-down lanes and slow down to read road signs and gawk at historic sights like the Cheers bahr..  Pahk the cahr and walk, will ya?

LL

This thread is a reminder of what happens when people are only looking for the lowest price and we outsource our production of nearly everything to places like CHINA !!!  You reap what you sew. Wake up America and do what President Trump has been trying for the last few years.

Bring production back to the US

41 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

This thread is a reminder of what happens when people are only looking for the lowest price and we outsource our production of nearly everything to places like CHINA !!!  You reap what you sew. Wake up America and do what President Trump has been trying for the last few years.

Bring production back to the US

Actually, I'm trying to buy German made appliances; I gave up on US manufactured appliances 30 years ago, when their quality went in the hopper.  But you are correct to point out that there has been a continual trend in looking for the lowest price above all else.

LL

You guys are always complaining about having to buy from China, South America, Korea etc.  We used to be the manufacturing king of the world for cars, electronics, building materials etc. As we priced ourselves out of business those countries invested in technology and product improvement. Remember back to Japan and not wanting to buy cheap Jap junk!  Now they make the best electronics and cars in the world.

Our factories are obsolete, our labor is too expensive, and our tax structure doesn't support investing in modernizing or building new factories.

Printer Ink !!! For color cart for a Canon printer   4 Walmarts  2 Targets, Office depot and 2 best buys all did not have what I need to print stages for tomorrow 

Only good thing I did have my GF with me half the day

Happy Friday the 13th 

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

We use Appliance Warehouse here in Sacramento.
All are "pre-owned", come fully refurbished and a warranty.

Our old Sears Kenmore latterly fell apart.  The bottom framework rusted out and crashed.  We bought a new Kenmore and tried to get the simplest model they had.  It never did a good job.  Took a long time to go through a wash cycle. Then it started failing to work on some settings.   Finally it quit working altogether.   It was out of warranty by now.   We took to the local appliance repair place.  The assessment was that it would cost more to fix than it was worth.  Cluttered around his business were maybe a hundred new looking appliances - all dead.  Turned out, he made a brisk business of refurbishing old appliances and selling them.  He had a waiting list.  The old washers were in most cases direct drive to gearbox and were more rugged.  They didn't have any electronics to mess up.  We bought a Roper machine.  It works great and well take heavy loads of work clothes,  blankets,  etc. 

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Actually, I'm trying to buy German made appliances; I gave up on US manufactured appliances 30 years ago, when their quality went in the hopper.  But you are correct to point out that there has been a continual trend in looking for the lowest price above all else.

LL

I guess I'm sold on Samsung. We have four TVs; one each refrigerator. microwave, and range. The kitchen appliances replaced GE Profiles. The Samsung refrigerator is my favorite design ever (I've even had a Sub Zero). I will never buy another GE product.

This is the refrigerator. The top double door opens without a vertical bar  in the middle. :wub: It is convex and only counter depth at the sides. :wub: It has a wonderful layout!!! The bottom right side can be either refrigerator or freezer.

The range is way more than I need. It has (propane/gas) a Wok holder, griddle, and warmer tray. Wow!

RF28K9070SG_01_Refrigerator_French-Door_RF28K9070SG_Front_Closed-Black_20171024.jpg?$product-details-jpg$

We have Bosch W/D, not overly impressed.

Warden, Last washer I bought was a Roper at Lowes. Basic machine on clearance for $299, runs like a top, the dryer is a Whirlpool, another mostly basic machine. Our dish washer that we bought new crapped out after about 12 years. Was gifted an older machine that was in good running order with analog controls. Might be a little noisier, but does a good job. Free was a nice perk,too:rolleyes::blink::blush:

• 4 weeks later...

We finally got our two refrigerators. They said they received 200 appliances last week. Nothing fancy. Top freezer in the kitchen. We wanted a second fridge around the corner in the laundry room. Decided to put the side by side in there because the top freezer model opens wider and hits the wall. Can open the doors all the way with the side by side in the laundry room. . 

Archived