SASS Wire Forum

Better Equipment Makes You Better

Creeker, SASS #43022

If you want to shoot original guns or grampaws ol' shotgun for the nostalgia factor, great!

"Fun" is defined by you.  If you're not having fun, then why are you even doing this?

As Doc says, guns that are reliable "don't get in your way" so you can focus on the other aspects of the game that can make you faster.  Transitions, etc.

IF you want to get faster then you get reliable guns.  Then you reach the point where your "reliable" guns - not "tuned" mind you - hold you back. 

Then you get your guns tuned so they don't get in your way.  There is a progression.

Again, we're talking about shooters that want to improve.

Evil Dog Odor can outshoot champs with a single-shot.  He's an outlier.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Cody Conagher is selling 1873’s for less than $1,600. I think you can get a Fast Eddie (best in the business) SKB for less than $1,700. Ruger Vaqueros on GB for well under $2,000 a pair. Wolff spring kits cost what $30-40 for two?

Guncarts are cheap if you’re buying for function. Heck I gave two away for free to new shooters. One was free to me and the other cost me $40. Both worked fine.

1 shooter, 52 matches a year, six stages per match at 20 rounds of metallic cartridge a stage = 6,240 rounds. 1 box of shotgun a match times 52 matches = just over 5 cases.

Check and see how much Jimmy Spurs pistols rifles and sg cost. It looks to me as if you have to buy used to get your prices, I'm sure you could get a Yul Lose gc for cheap. So what happens when you go to multi day shoots and are shooting PS, WB, LR, and CAS? Suddenly YOUR budget for ammo etc is out the window. Like comparing a minivan to a race car.

kR

41 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Check and see how much Jimmy Spurs pistols rifles and sg cost. It looks to me as if you have to buy used to get your prices, I'm sure you could get a Yul Lose gc for cheap. So what happens when you go to multi day shoots and are shooting PS, WB, LR, and CAS? Suddenly YOUR budget for ammo etc is out the window. Like comparing a minivan to a race car.

kR

I know what Jimmy Spurs pistols cost, I have a pair. I didn’t say you could buy Jimmy Spurs equipment, I said you could buy slicked guns for those prices and I specifically stated SASS Vaqueros with lighter springs.

Do a search for Cody Conagher 1873 and you’ll see new competition 1873s for less than $1,600.

Yul Lose gun carts are awesome, but expensive. Using them to support your contention is like saying you can’t buy a car for less than $100,000 because that’s what Porsches sell for.

John’s statement is about the cost of getting into the game for a new shooter. You’re correct that if a new shooter is going to buy the most expensive gun cart available, the most expensive guns he can find, the most expensive rig he can find, and shoot every big match and every side match including warmups black powder, Wild Bunch, etc, then my numbers are off.

How many new shooters come into the game planning to do that?

On the other hand, if the new shooter wants reliable competition guns and rig, a functional gun cart and to shoot SASS every weekend with a few big matches thrown in here and there, my numbers hold up.

You’re intentionally twisting this by 

1. Quote the most expensive gun carts out there

2. Quote one of the most expensive gun smiths out there.

3. Mention the ammo requirements for TWO people, you and your wife.

4. Bring in the cost of WB which has zero to do with the cost of SASS.

You’ve proven a new shooter CAN spend that type of money to get in the game, but you haven’t proven they MUST spend that much.

Been reading this and have seen a lot of good points. I started totaling upsome of what I have spent in the last year getting into CAS. I have shot IDPA for years, so I understand good equipment.

2 OMV in .45 one was traded for a Glock 17 a guy wanted, the other was $400 total 800

1 NMV in 45 traded for value $550 on GB

1 Stoeger 12 Gauge  400

1 Uberti 66 in .44-40 650

1 Rossi 92 in 45  450

1 12 Gauge SxS Baikal 450

Have the stuff and tools to build a cart once I have moved, call it $50

Set up already for reloading with a Dillon 550b but say $200 in new dies.

I have picked up used leather that is still usable, but will let me decide on what I want when I get satisfied sat $200

Total 3750, now if I didn't have back up guns or had started out with a clearer view I would not have the Rossi or the Stoeger, so that knocks 850 off that number. If I didn't have an extra Vaquero say another 500 off that is still $2400, a LOT of money for someone on a new budget.

PS, I agree, better equipment makes any sport more enjoyable. This is what an old, retired guy is starting out with. When I figure out what I like and need, then stuff will be swapped out and worked over by a GOOD gunsmith. I understand the difference, just try a box stock 1911 against a tuned trigger one on .38 Super

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

So what happens when you go to multi day shoots and are shooting PS, WB, LR, and CAS?

PS=??

WB=Wild Bunch

LR=Long Range?

CAS=Cowboy Action Shooting

Please confirm what initials mean the first time you use them in a thread.  I can't figure out what PS stands for.

12 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

PS=??

WB=Wild Bunch

LR=Long Range?

CAS=Cowboy Action Shooting

Please confirm what initials mean the first time you use them in a thread.  I can't figure out what PS stands for.

I was wondering that as well.  My best guess is Practice Stages. 

PS = PRO STEEL

8 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

PS = PRO STEEL

So according to Kid Rich, the cost of shooting semi auto Pro Steel matches, Long Range matches, and Wild Bunch matches should be included in the start up costs for shooting SASS?

@Kid Rich  should we include the cost of the semi-auto carbine as well?  What about IDPA, should we include the cost of those guns and that ammunition in the cost of shooting SASS?

Wow, three pages of discussion. The money aspect is irrelevant.  Every sport/hobby has costs depending upon how much you wish to spend.  I agree completely with Creeker. Over the years I have watched shooters struggle with equipment and ammo not suited to the game or of poor quality.  When these issues impact a shooter you do not see them leaving the line with a smile, especially if the issues occur on multiple stages.  Being that we’re a friendly lot we try to provide the shooter with helpful tips.  I have been fortunate enough to have received guidance from some very good shooters that have made me enjoy the sport so much more. 

Gringo

On 11/12/2020 at 10:56 PM, Grizzly Dave said:

Rolling my eye and shaking my head hearing things rattle around.

Much of 'smoothing out the action' and other such tuning is, IMO premature wear, and it the long run, being run fast and hard, is going to bring about failure much sooner.

I could provide tons of verbiage as to why I think such things, but seriously ain't nobody care what I think.  If they disagree, they disagree no matter how passionately I state my points.

Carry on boys and girls, cheers.

That may be true for those that "slick up" revolvers or do their on "slickin up"  .  .  .   probably because they learned how to by watching a YouTube video or two. (Most teach you how to screw-um-up!!)

Tuning a revolver properly will EXTEND the life of a revolver (competition or not) not reduce it.  Everybody knows a "balanced and blueprinted" engine wont last any longer than a "stock" engine  right?   Riiiiiiight. .  .  .  

Same with a  correctly TUNED revolver, it doesn't matter what you do with it, it should function flawlessly from then on .  .  . setting one up to "run" is different from setting one up to "get by" or "feels good" .  .  . 

Built-in " insurance " is what makes the difference .  .  .  

Mike

If I had a Dollar for every time I was told "You need to short-stroke your 66" I would be Going to the 30th WR ....

I shoot a .38 WCF with full case loads of Goex 3F ,,,, I can lever MUCH FASTER than I can SEE through the Smoke ...

BUT Smooth reliable guns are more fun than Cranky stiff ones ...

Jabez Cowboy 

11 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Okay.

What's PRO STEEL?   Never heard of it.

I think thats where a Pro football or basketball player gets caught shoplifting..... :lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Okay.

What's PRO STEEL?   Never heard of it.

I don't shoot it, I just watch it at some of the bigger matches. I know they use semi auto pistol caliber carbines at a variety of targets. I don't know the rules or particulars. Sorry. Somebody that shoots it can offer more.

Archived