SASS Wire Forum

Snowmobiles

sassnetguy50

sit on top a machine that can go over a 100MPH  ..Pray 

in the 70s I rode a cousin "race machine" it was fast 

last year I rode the new stock bommber it hit 100 alot faster 

ride safe and smart 

My folks had snowmobiles when I was younger, and there was a time in my life I thought I'd like to delve into it a little deeper. I bought a brand new Bombardier in 1981, and sold it in 1991 with a grand total of 127 miles on it. I don't tolerate the cold very well, and haven't been on one since. 

Deep snow, barbwire fences and snowmobiles don't go together.

Back when I was in high school, a few people bought snowmobiles to facilitate winter hunting trips to Kansas. One of the kids in school took his dad's out for a spin. Him and some of his friends were taking turns out in the cornfield.

Running WOT he forgot where the fence line was and ran through it.  Top strand of barbwire caught him mid-chest. His buddies said he came off the back of the snowmobile like you see in the movies. Sitting upright, in mid air Arms and legs straight out parallel to the ground.

When I saw him a few days later he said he had 3 cracked ribs and showed me the wickedest bruise I have ever seen.

My dad heard from his dad that the doctor was amazed he wasn't cut into. Doc figured the only thing that saved him were the heavy canvas insulated carhart coveralls and insulated coat he was wearing over them. 

The wounderfully comfortable 1974 Rupp Nitro ii was my first sled.  What it lacked in suspension, I made up for with young body.  Then we found trail riding was much smoother than ditch banging and offered more destinations than field riding.  That became pedestrian like a sunday cruise down interstate.  Then we discovered the real riding, powder.  Boondocking in the Snowies became the favorite.  The obligatory highmarking day when someone got a new sled.  There is nothing like floating through that midwinter fluff at subzero with the occasional tree mule-kicking you back to reality.  Unfortunately, massive improvements in suspension has not fully compensated for old body.  

13 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

sit on top a machine that can go over a 100MPH  ..Pray 

in the 70s I rode a cousin "race machine" it was fast 

last year I rode the new stock bommber it hit 100 alot faster 

ride safe and smart 

Industry update: box stock class can break 100mph in under 9 on the 1,000.  Outlaws are pushing 3x the hp, crossing the 660 at 150mph in 4.5 and they probably feel more comfortable doing that than trying for 100mph on that vintage racer.

when I was young and dumb I would be on one in a heartbeat 

now that I heal soo slow  4 wheel and seat belt for me 

My girlfriends sister said it best " you men keep inventing new ways to break your necks" 

We moved to Indiana in 1977 and the Blizzard of 78 was our first winter in Indiana. We had three Scorpions and we're neighborhood heroes. We couldn't understand why schools were closed. Back home we just went on snowmobiles. Sold them in 81 I believe.

39 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Jimmy Spurs of cowboygunworks.com races snowmobiles.

Had to look up his real name, saying Jim and Kurt race is like saying Peyton played football.  Have been reading about them for years.  They helped keep ice drags alive when the industry basically turned its back on that segment in favor of snoX (admittedly better for the spectator).

Archived