SASS Wire Forum

Veterans Question

Noz

I was given a "Challenge Coin".  It is a US Veterans coin and is not specific to Branch, Unit, specialization, time frame or location.  What is the protocol for use of such a piece.     Mine says simply "USA" across the top of the face and "VETERAN" across the bottom.

It has a depiction of the wall on the obverse.

Since the giver was a proctologist I didn't ask him where he got it

You either issue a challenge or are challenged.  To issue a challenge, you rap said coin on the bar or announce loudly  "Coin check" or something similar,  and all present produce their coin, anyone who does not have a coin is on the hook for a round of drinks.  If everyone has a coin the person issuing the challenge buys a round.  That is the basic version, there are variations such as who has the highest ranking coin.  I have a division commander coin from 1st Armored and another from 5th Infantry Divisions.

You either issue a challenge or are challenged.  To issue a challenge, you rap said coin on the bar or announce loudly  "Coin check" or something similar,  and all present produce their coin, anyone who does not have a coin is on the hook for a round of drinks.  If everyone has a coin the person issuing the challenge buys a round.  That is the basic version, there are variations such as who has the highest ranking coin.  I have a division commander coin from 1st Armored and another from 5th Infantry Division.

When I was I back in the 60s. They were very rare. The 10th Special Forces had one made in 68 when we were at Ft Devens. Nobody gave them out. We had to buy em. The round of drinks challenge at the bar was a thing. Still have mine. Kinda worn out and beat up. Like me.

8CAE2462-621F-4F6C-A346-A7EB229B8CFE.jpeg

Best I managed was the Ft. McClellan post Command Sergeant Major giving me a challenge coin during OSUT* for shooting expert either during rifle qualification or pistol qualification

* Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Station_Unit_Training

I have a few. One somewhere from a Major General, two from Bird Colonels, a couple from Light Colonels.

The Major General was the Post Commander @ Ft. Ben Harrison, and we were the first unit to come through for demobilization after Desert Storm.

Colonel #1 was the commander of the Regional Vet Lab @ Ft. Sam when I demobilized at the end of Desert Storm.

Colonel #2 was the commander of the training brigade when I was the honor graduate from my 91B course.

LTC #1 was the commander of the unit when I was the honor graduate for my 91W Bridge/EMT-B Course

LTC #2 was my battalion commander during OIF/OEF when I reenlisted in Kuwait

At the risk of raising the blood pressure of @Utah Bob #35998, one of my best friends has one from Gen. Shinseki when he was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. I've been trying to figure out how to get one from the Secretary of Defense ever since... 

I have two challenge coins. One was given to me by my Saloon Pard, Perro del Diablo. It’s a USMC coin. :FlagAm:

The other is a USS Constitution coin I got on my 4th of July Turnaround Cruise aboard her in Boston on July 4, 2019. ;)

I have a couple. One is oval not round.  The person that had them made for the Special Missions WSSA screwed the sizing up and emailed the wrong one to the maker. They made it as sent so It is oval instead of round.

One I actually am proud of was given to me by the Commanding Office of hte Marine Aviation Detachment when I was stationed at China Lake. Although I was Navy the all 8 people in my command reported to him for administrative purposes. When we found out that our administrative chain of command would no longer be the CO of NAS Pax River but would be an USMC Colonel we were pretty apprehensive. Turned out he was an awesome person. He had flown on the EP-3E platform and actually understood our mission. He officiated at my retirement ceremony and gave me the coin at the end when he shook my hand. A couple days later I ran into his secretary and she told me I was the first Sailor to ever get one of the MAD's coins and to guard it carefully as they were highly coveted by the few marines on the base.

Picture 1 of 5

I probably have 50 or so, including one I designed myself when I was a battalion commander.  That was the coin I gave out.  The highest ranking one in my collection is the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Bob Work.  He came to the base where I was managing secret squirrel operations.  He was running around getting the VIP tour while I was part of a VIP tour for an O6 in my chain of command.  He happened to be leaving the operations floor while I was going in, and stopped me. 

Work:  "How about you?  Have I given one of these [holding out a coin] yet?"  

Me:  "No, sir, I'm actually here on someone else's tour."

Work:  "That's ok, here you go [hands me the coin].  What do you do here?"

Me:  "I work in the STO vault." [He would know *exactly* what that meant; if you don't, I'm not going to explain it here]  "It's not as cool as it sounds."

Work:  "Oh I know."  

Let's just say he is read on to every secret squirrel operation in the entire DoD.

Two that I’m most proud of...

The left one was given to me by LTG Bostick when he was Chief if Engineers. When I was a cadet and he a captain, I had him as an instructor for several courses at West Point. 30 years we crossed paths again when he was CoE and I was faculty. 

The right coin is from the Army Marksmanship unit. David Kimes gave me the coin. 

B668FC07-12C6-4FDD-B833-084FC989ED2E.jpeg

Archived