SASS Wire Forum

Worthy replacement for a SKB??

Barkeep Casey

7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm definitely not disputing that, love my SKB, but could you elaborate?

Experience at losing versus experience at winning....at the expense of the shotgun.  To quote someone named Chollo -  "Owning quality equipment is a big part of the mental aspect of our game"

I shot a Stoeger for a long time, when I changed over to SKB..... well, I shot faster, better times.

Ok. Will add another opinion, hopefully better than my last post.:unsure: Started with a stoeger and found that just did not like the feel of it, whatever that is worth. Switched to a 97 for 3or 4 years until we disagreed with each other. Went back to a double baikal and found could shoot that better than my stoeger. Than really stepped up and had a Fast Eddie skb and at same time had a browning BSS. They were both great but found that could shoot browning quicker. Like the beavertail forend over splinter and also like the little bit more weight of the Browning. That being said an SKB by fat Eddie is awesome. So there you go.

I have two double trigger Miroku guns.   One says Charles Daly on it and the other does not. Neither of them will ever replace my BSS,  it they are certainly very nice Guns if you prefer a double trigger

Count me in the Fast Eddie SKB camp. The switch from a Stoeger to an SKB shaved seconds off my times.  Not as much as the switch from a Rossi 92 to a CodyMatic '73, but probably as much as having Lassiter work on my Rugers.  

Finely tuned tools make the work more fun. In skilled hands, they make the work easier and faster.  Whether it's a hand plane, a saw, a fly rod, a chef's knife, or cowboy guns.  Whether the cost is worth it to you is an entirely personal decision.  

1 hour ago, Deadeye Dillard said:

Browning...:ph34r:

Hah! ;) This may be true, but I have never had one set up to run. 

A very good point, as there is a small. but growing (?), devoted following of the Browning BSS.

Yet, the cost is in the same, if not more,  as SKB's.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, Barkeep Casey said:

The popular opinion among shooters in my neck of the woods is a SKB with a mechanical trigger conversion is the finest double for the game. These guns seem to be harder and harder to find. I was wondering what shooters opinions of the new Charles Daly's and CZ's are? Once they are tuned, do they stack up, and will they hold up to the abuse we give them?

I love my Charles Daly 512 w/20" barrels.  Got it from Deuce Stevens with Doc Noper action work done to it.  Been using it for two years now.  Run both factory smokeless, and my heavy black powder loads.  It all shucks out nicely.  Has manual safety, and manual chamber selector to decide which goes boom first.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:00 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

As for a great SG for CAS, don't overlook the 97..... :D

..........Widder

You'll need 3 though.

And they aren't as easy to clean as a double after using the HOLY BLACK.

:lol:

Just stick with the double and leave the 97's alone.

I have used single-trigger Baikals (JM & Three Cut guns) forever, but decided to get one of the Charles Daly guns from Lassiter - FANTASTIC gun, I love it.  Fit & finish are great, the barrel selector is a neat design & it shoots like a champ (I sure wish I could shoot like a champ!).  I tried an SKB a few years back & hated it - the Charles Daly is a much better gun IMHO.

Gypsy Rider & I both bought guns from Lassiter back in the summer.  The only issue either of us have had, on his gun the safety started turning itself on.  Turns out, the design of the safety uses a stepped leaf spring that hooks on a pin.  That pin can move sideways enough to let the spring slip off, then the safety can move a lot easier.  We fixed it by wiring the safety in the off position - it took about 10 minutes.

The only complaint I have is that the Daly is not nearly as easy to clean after shooting BP.  With the Baikals, I cork the muzzles, fill the barrels with boiling water & let them sit til they are cool to the touch.  All that plastic & crud drains right out, then just shove a paper towel through to clean it all up.  Dry everything good, follow with Ballistol & it's done.  The Daly has stainless choke tubes & the barrels apparently aren't chrome lined, so the boiling water trick doesn't work well at all.  The process I have found is to spray Ballistol in both barrels & let them sit for about 3 hours, then pull a bore snake through.  That gets about 95% of the plastic & crud but leaves a small patch.  Spray Ballistol again, let them sit overnight, then boresnake again & it's clean.  One benefit is that you don't have to worry about getting everything dry because you don't need water.

Holler

Barkeep I would recommend a box stock Steven’s for you. Maybe a Sears SXS something along those lines. They have been around forever and fit the durability requirement. As a matter of fact there is a SXS hanging on the wall in the cabin at the range that you could try. It might be an old Brazilian gun with sticky firing pins. 

Hollifer - Great information on cleaning the CD's! When shooting black, I cork my barrel's and soak with hot soapy water as well. That would have thrown me for a loop.

TKD and Palmetto - With friends like you guys and Kajun, it is a wonder I have survived CAS lol

I was able to find a new to me SKB, so hopefully smooth sailing in the years ahead.

6 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Hollifer - Great information on cleaning the CD's! When shooting black, I cork my barrel's and soak with hot soapy water as well. That would have thrown me for a loop.

TKD and Palmetto - With friends like you guys and Kajun, it is a wonder I have survived CAS lol

I was able to find a new to me SKB, so hopefully smooth sailing in the years ahead.

Barkeep, what else are friends for....we just want what's best for our sport and you using "speshul" lube in yore scattergun is what's best for our sport....well at least the rest of us in our sport.  Would you like me to prelube yore new SKB before I get it to you....no charge and it would be my pleasure! :lol:

Kajun

23 hours ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

I think you need to take Kajun's advice. Surely it couldn't hurt.

These are words you really don't hear every day.

17 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Barkeep, what else are friends for....we just want what's best for our sport and you using "speshul" lube in yore scattergun is what's best for our sport....well at least the rest of us in our sport.  Would you like me to prelube yore new SKB before I get it to you....no charge and it would be my pleasure! :lol:

Kajun

From experience, using your two recommendations for lube. I find that the habanero sauce works better for me than the peanut butter. But my hands start burning after the first stage. What are your recommendations for that?

5 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

From experience, using your two recommendations for lube. I find that the habanero sauce works better for me than the peanut butter. But my hands start burning after the first stage. What are your recommendations for that?

Evil Bob said KY jelly! 

Kajun

Fat Eddie? Ohhh. He's gonna get you!

On 11/11/2020 at 7:20 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Barkeep  I turned a stimulus check into a CZ Sharptail by Longhunter back in the spring.

Barkeep, I turned a Stoeger lemon refund into a 70s-era Miroku Daly 500 by Lassiter (?) back in the spring.
Best move I have made, to date.

Archived