SASS Wire Forum

Worthy replacement for a SKB??

Barkeep Casey

The popular opinion among shooters in my neck of the woods is a SKB with a mechanical trigger conversion is the finest double for the game. These guns seem to be harder and harder to find. I was wondering what shooters opinions of the new Charles Daly's and CZ's are? Once they are tuned, do they stack up, and will they hold up to the abuse we give them?

I'm shooting one of the new CZs.  My wife shoots SKBs (great CAS shotguns).  I prefer the additional weight of my CZ.  I have not had it long enough to make any statements about durability.

1 minute ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Barkeep, I encourage you to hold out for a Kenmore 10g single shot, it’s very dependable. 

Kajun

I wonder if it is as good a tip as the last one you gave me. Crunchy Peanut butter as gun lube......

Barkeep,

As far as I am concerned the SKB is a great SG for this game.  The only alternative, and a far better piece of equipment, is the Browning BSS.

Try one sometime,  I dare ya!

PS; don't use Chucky Peanut Butter!!

Ol'  #4

44 minutes ago, Barkeep Casey said:

I wonder if it is as good a tip as the last one you gave me. Crunchy Peanut butter as gun lube......

I’ll cheatcha right! :lol:

Kajun

A Stoeger is about $500 give or take.

An SKB is about $1,200 give or take.

I have a hard time finding the SKB to be $700 better. It is better, no argument, but not that much better; not at the speeds I shoot.

CD? CZ? BSS? No experience so no opinion, but I would look at the price of each compared to a Stoeger or SKB. 'Cuz the Stoeger (with basic slicking) does hold up and it is as fast as I am and I'm not made of gold.

Let’s see, weight, balance, fit to the hand, stock angle, overall quality, ease of operation, etc. Stoeger is an ok gun but the impact an SKB, Charles Daly or a BSS can have on your capability and skill level is amazing. Sometimes to improve you need to make an extra investment in your tools. Just sayin’..............

And yet... folks still win side matches, main matches with equipment other than what some claim will make you better than you actually are...  Practice, practice and more practice.  Then practice some more!

On 11/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, John Kloehr said:

I have a hard time finding the SKB to be $700 better. It is better, no argument, but not that much better; not at the speeds I shoot.

CD? CZ? BSS? No experience so no opinion, but I would look at the price of each compared to a Stoeger or SKB. 'Cuz the Stoeger (with basic slicking) does hold up and it is as fast as I am and I'm not made of gold.

I was of about the same opinion as you until I got an SKB, now I have 2 of them and have never looked back. It took me a long time to realize that if your shooting a $1500 rifle and $1500 pistols and not getting to where you want to be the shotgun may be holding you back. Before I get yelled at I'm not saying you can't shoot well with a Stoeger, I'm just saying the SKB improved my game!  Charlie Bowdre told me when I started you win matches with your pistols and lose them with your shotgun.

JMHO

Randy

3 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

The popular opinion among shooters in my neck of the woods is a SKB with a mechanical trigger conversion is the finest double for the game. These guns seem to be harder and harder to find. I was wondering what shooters opinions of the new Charles Daly's and CZ's are? Once they are tuned, do they stack up, and will they hold up to the abuse we give them?

Papa Dave has been working with some Yildiz guns with some good results but they haven't been around long enough to be sure of durability.

Randy

7 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I was of about the same opinion as you until I an SKB, now I have 2 of them and have never looked back. It took me a long time to realize that if your shooting a $1500 rifle and $1500 pistols and not getting to where you want to be the shotgun may be holding you back. Before I get yelled at I'm not saying you can't shoot well with a Stoeger, I'm just saying the SKB improved my game!  Charlie Bowdre told me when I started you win matches with your pistols and lose them with your shotgun.

JMHO

Randy

The shotgun could make a difference. I'm just not good enough to get the benefit for the cost. As you read the rest of this, keep in mind I am not yelling at you.

At this point loading my own shotgun shells will give me more benefit than running 3-gun shells (very hot) or even Winchester AAs (moderate).

But if I was really in the pursuit of speed, I would not intend to be going to BP (subs for now). I would also be running 38s instead of 44s. And go nowhere near BP.

I'm in this game for fun. so take my input in that vein... In the pursuit of fun, I'm not fast enough to take advantage of the benefit of an SKB; maybe in a couple years I might be that good (fast) but not yet.

I can't remember the brand of shotgun I ran before I stepped up to a Stoeger, but I was faster than that POS. I'm honest enough to state I am not faster than my current gear. I can go faster with other changes that will carry forward into future upgrades.

This sport is the most expensive I have got in to, I think it is the rare competitor who can really make use of the capability of an SKB. I know I would be faster with one myself, just not that much faster. Not "actually win" faster.

When (if) that time comes, I'll upgrade. I'm sure the SKB improved your game. It would improve mine. Just not that much.

I have shot an SKB. I liked it. My budget is not compatible with it. My budget was compatible with the POS I had before but I was faster than that gun.

23 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

PB Lube is no joking matter.   Red Knee uses it exclusively.

As for a great SG for CAS, don't overlook the 97..... :D

..........Widder

Well, yes... I remember that conversation here on this forum with you.

I still have not fired any rounds through the one I bought due to that conversation... Actually, I bought two of them. Let's leave that story for another day, after I send some shot down range with them.

Nah.  None of the Above.  Cowboy's THE Game.  Hammer Doubles are where it's really at.  Pedersoli Hammer Doubles.  Built like fine Swiss Watches.  Not cheap by any means, but really FINE Hammer Doubles.

Oh, and I run mine with All Brass Hulls.  Hammer Doubles and Brass Hulls are not necessarily FAST.  They are however . . . CAPITOL FUN!!

Stay Well Compadres

25 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh, and I run mine with All Brass Hulls.  Hammer Doubles and Brass Hulls are not necessarily FAST.  They are however . . . CAPITOL FUN!!

I see your fun factor and raise you an 87 with brass hulls! :D 

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

When (if) that time comes, I'll upgrade. I'm sure the SKB improved your game. It would improve mine. Just not that much.

You will know if you ever need to upgrade.  

The old saying, “lose with the revolvers, win with the shotgun “ has some basis in truth.  If your ranking doesn’t matter, then neither does the kind of guns you shoot.

I used to have two SKBs; I now have two BSS.  Not that it should influence you.  But if/when the time comes, you have a direction to start.

Barkeep  I turned a stimulus check into a CZ Sharptail by Longhunter back in the spring. I havent shot it nearly enough to speak about long term ability to take abuse. It is slicked up some but not like some of the SKBs that I have shot and handled. I really like the feel of it, not so fat through the wrist, works well with my short fat fingers. I will be shooting JW at the midmonth if you want to use it for the match, I will bring it along.

Imis

7 hours ago, Ol Number4 said:

Barkeep,

As far as I am concerned the SKB is a great SG for this game.  The only alternative, and a far better piece of equipment, is the Browning BSS.

Try one sometime,  I dare ya!

PS; don't use Chucky Peanut Butter!!

Ol'  #4

Would smooth be a better choice???

Texas Lizard

@John Kloehr Consider this, if you’re a newer shooter shooting in the 30’s and up and finishing towards the rear of the pack, the advantage of an SKB and the potential to move up in the pack a bit may not be worth the extra money and if you feel that way no problem. Enjoy your game.

OTH, if you’re running in the mid teens and finishing in the top 5-10%, the advantage of an SKB can have a big impact, and be well worth the extra.

Keep in mind, they aren’t making anymore and prices are steadily increasing.

When I started I could buy an SKB on GB for $400-$500. Try to find one now for $900 and it will be difficult. Makes me glad I have 3 and paid less than $600 for each of them.

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

All I can say  is that my times dropped 5 seconds almost immediately (easier loading and shucking) and my misses dropped to almost zero (better fit and faster, sure mounting) when I switched from my slicked up Stoeger to a Fast Eddie SKB.  And as I gotten more confident with the gun, I've continued to shave time off.  The investment might not be for everyone, but it was worth it to me to have a gun that I can shoot faster and better.

8 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

@John Kloehr Consider this, if you’re a newer shooter shooting in the 30’s and up and finishing towards the rear of the pack, the advantage of an SKB and the potential to move up in the pack a bit may not be worth the extra money and if you feel that way no problem. Enjoy your game.

OTH, if you’re running in the mid teens and finishing in the top 5-10%, the advantage of an SKB can have a big impact, and be well worth the extra.

Keep in mind, they aren’t making anymore and prices are steadily increasing.

When I started I could buy an SKB on GB for $400-$500. Try to find one now for $900 and it will be difficult. Makes me glad I have 3 and paid less than $600 for each of them.

Yep, SKBs are getting harder to find and more expensive, but they are out there for a reasonable number for the patient.  My wife prefers an English stock.  I just found her a pristine 280 for a reasonable $$$.

11 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

Yep, SKBs are getting harder to find and more expensive, but they are out there for a reasonable number for the patient.  My wife prefers an English stock.  I just found her a pristine 280 for a reasonable $$$.

Yep, the straight stock 280s can be found for less than the 100s, 150s, and 200s. I bought one several years back and was very impressed by the quality, but found the grip and added weight not to my liking so I sold it.

I have an automated search for SKBs that runs every night. I used to get hits every day or every other day, sometimes multiple hits. Now I sometimes go a week with no hits.

Get them while you can. 

14 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Want to shoot a Longhunter CZ at the December match? Just ask. Mine's been running fine for a year with no problems shucking AA, AA reloads or ribbed Federals. Single mechanical trigger, selectable barrels, manual safety. Longhunter says they're the next SKB. You do have to buy the gun from Longhunter as he no longer accepts customer supplied shotguns to work on.

Less chunky and a lot less clunky than my old Stoeger.

I do not own an SKB as I shoot CC. That said, there is a key component in having supreme confidence in your equipment. There is never a question is it me or is the gun, guitar, fishing lure, race car, etc. holding me back. Owning quality equipment is a big part of the mental aspect of our game.

17 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

No.... Not at this time.  Nothing is worthy of a replacement for an SKB, regardless of the trigger type.

13 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I'm in this game for fun. so take my input in that vein... In the pursuit of fun, I'm not fast enough to take advantage of the benefit of an SKB; maybe in a couple years I might be that good (fast) but not yet.

John, I hear this all the time, "I'm in this game for fun". Please explain what you think the rest of us are here for?  When I quit having fun I'll find another way to spend my money. I'm pretty sure everyone in this game is in it for fun. I have found that due to being old and arthritic I have much more fun shooting slicked up and smooth operating guns.  All of us have fun at different speeds, I have fun faster than some but a whole lot slower than others.  

As far as black powder, it is an absolute ball to shoot but I hate cleaning guns so I haven't shot it since Possum Trott shut down. 

Good luck and have fun

Randy

Good post, Randy.

I'm in it for fun also.   And nothing is more fun than running up the backside of TN Williams and doing a tap dance on his hide, then

leave him choking in a cloud of dust............  :lol:

..........Widder

7 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

No.... Not at this time.  Nothing is worthy of a replacement for an SKB, regardless of the trigger type.

Thanks Dee. I am into my second decade of running a tuned Baikal that has been a great shotgun. I made the mistake of running a top notch SKB and instantly noticed a difference in splits with the single trigger. I know at my point in the game I am chasing fractions of a second but it was noticeable to me. I would always rather buy once and cry once.

Archived