SASS Wire Forum

Wild Pig Recipe...?

Helen Brimstone's neighbor evidently shot a pig... and gifted her what she said appears to be about a 5-lb "shoulder roast."   

Anyone have any recipes or hints to share?  :)

(She said it smells fresh, so no "boar taint" to contend with)

20201111_112914.thumb.jpg.d28e72f1f39c5a3176a423a5dba25d31.jpg

I have gotten varying flavor from wild hog. Particularly, the fat sometimes retains an flavor that's a turn off. Not the meat, but the fat.  I'm generally not eating large mature wild  hogs, but the 100# or less hogs. I have settled on smoking to be the best all around approach to wild hog. Just look up some boston butt rub recipes and smoke it. Smoking can mask/enhance the flavor can render the fat and cover any of the bad flavor in the fat I sometimes get. Smoking recipes are all online, easily found.  I have smoked the large grocery store boston butts in just 3-4 hours, fully to 165-170 degree internal temp for sliced,  but have smoked 12-14 hours for pulled pork, which has to hit 195-205 degree range internally. I did a 24 hour smoke on real low heat once. Not worth the effort , not for me, but really god pulled pork. The digital wireless/bluetooth thermometers are awesome for smoking.

Non-commercial Pork Meat parasites:

People get trichinosis when they eat undercooked meat — such as pork, bear, walrus or horse — that is infected with the immature form (larvae) of the trichinella roundworm. In nature, animals are infected when they feed on other infected animals.”

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trichinosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20378583

“COOK (especially wild pork) TO 160 DEGEES F”

15 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have gotten varying flavor from wild hog. Particularly, the fat sometimes retains an flavor that's a turn off. Not the meat, but the fat.  

We usually eat a couple of deer or antelope or an elk every year. I also eat wild hog. My experience is that the strong flavor or smell in wild game comes from the fat. When I butcher my meat, I trim off all the fat and discard it. Wild game doesn't not have much (if any) marbled fat in the muscle tissue. When I add fat to the grind when I make burger and breakfast sausage, I use pork fat. 

My favorite wild boar recipes come from Europe, as that's where they originated from anyway. From my understanding the Spanish brought them over when they first came here.

In Tuscany they grind the meat, marinate it in wine for 24 hours, then turn it into a rich ragu over fresh tagliatelle and a dollop of homemade sheep's ricotta. This is my family's favorite preparation.

In Sicily they make spicy salamis with it.

Germany its stuffed into a sausage and smoked heavily (wildschweinewurst), or breaded and fried with a mushroom sauce (jaegerschnitzel)

Portugal its braised in a vegetable port sauce with a kick, and has a nice carnitas-like texture when you pull it apart.

When I cook with it, I basically make sure the preparation is rich in flavor. Injected with a spiced butter and long-smoked with hickory is probably what I'd do with that butt.

Archived