SASS Wire Forum

Clean Shot powder in 45 Schofield?

Diamond Jake

Clean Shot looks like a good powder for SASS, and with my other powders not available, this is probably a good time to switch.

However, I find no load data for 45 Schofield.  Anyone ever load this?

The main reason I use 45 Schofield in my revolvers is to improve the powder charge density (and therefor the accuracy) of other powders in the large 45 Colt cases.  But my 1873 rifle doesn't cycle 45 Schofield rounds worth a toot.  I could switch back to using 45 Colt in all my guns, but I'd prefer to have different loads optimized for my rifle or revolvers.

What bullet are you using in the Schofield round?  200 or 250gr (same nose profile) both feed fine through my '73.  I tried Black Hills dummy rounds that used a 180gr bullet and those were too short.

10 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

What bullet are you using in the Schofield round?  200 or 250gr (same nose profile) both feed fine through my '73.  I tried Black Hills dummy rounds that used a 180gr bullet and those were too short.

I use 200 gr RNFP in the Schofield.  When I inadvertently loaded Schofield into the '73 I got a stovepipe on about the 5th shot.  It might have been my error (I once got a stovepipe jam using 45 Colt).  A friend of mine says his 1873 "always" jams when he tried Schofield, so I never tried it again.

I've also heard of people putting a new lifter so it would run Schofields efficiently,. but then 45 Colts don't work.

Three different animals.  Your hearing from folks whom are loading 45 Schofield and folks whom are loading Cowboy 45 Special (Special Carrier Block) and you, loading 45 Colt.  The biggest bugaboo with 45 Schofield cases in Toggle link rifles is the Extractor often doesn't want to slide over the larger Schofield rim.  Judicious Rubbin and Buffin will fix that.  Overall length . . . Load no bullets shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  I have recently discovered some really nice 180 Gr bullets from Badman Bullets, Bullets by Scarlett and Missouri Bullets that are the same height above the crimp as 200Gr RNFP that feed like wet grain thru a goose.  Cowboy 45 Special requires a special Carrier Block (The Smith Shop) to run in Toggle Link Rifles.  If you want the absolute Beez Kneez in cartridge efficiency with reduced charges, C45S is your Huckleberry.  The same 180Gr bullets run a treat in C45S cases.

I would also suggest you contact Bullets by Scarlett and lay in a case of 3f APP.  Just absolutely GOBS of fun

I use the Schofield cases with Goex, Swiss, and Black MZ.  I've still got about 6 lbs of these, so APP will be awhile yet.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a load of Clean Shot for the Schofield.  If not, I'll just start with a low load and see how it goes.  With TiteGroup and Unique, the Schofield takes a bit less powder than the 45 Colt, and they call for 4.0 Min to 7.7 Max for a 200 gr bullet in 45 Colt, so the Schofield should be OK to start at 4 or 4.5.

Jake  I have transitioned over to Cleanshot for all my cowboy loads,.45c,.45acp,.38/357,.44 and 12 ga. The Cs loads and works great in all three 40 cal rounds with a 200 gr bullet. I do not have a Schofield to try it in, but I really like all the loads I use now. Mid South, in Clarksville, still had Cs last week.

Imis

About 6 months ago at a gun show I  received a complimentary jar of clean shot.  Great stuff and I am now working on all cowboy loads.  Currently using 5.7 gr Cleanshot with 200 gr RNFP .45 Colt in Rossi 92.  Yes, it is a hell of a lot cleaner than Clays.

Jake

Go to shootersworldpowder.com for their complete reloading manual.  It does not list 45 Schofield.  A good starting point would be a mid-range 44 special load.  I've been shooting it for 4 years in 45 Colt with a 180gr bullet.  With Clean Shot you can find a load that works well in pistol and rifle.  No need to load two different loads.  Clean Shot is a Lovex powder Lovex number DO32.  There is only one Clean Shot powder not 2 as stated previously.  It is also a very good shotgun powder.  You could also contact Scarlett Darlin.  Scarlett might have already worked up a Schofield load if you want to stick with Schofields.  I attached the Shooters World load manual.

Whiskey 

Shooters-world-reloading-manual-12-16-16.pdf

6 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Jake ... Mid South, in Clarksville, still had Cs last week.

Imis

Thanks.  They will soon have a bit less in stock.  I ordered a couple lbs and will pick it up this afternoon.  I live about 40 minutes from there, and my daughter lives 15 mins from there.

5 hours ago, Whiskey Hayes #41999 said:

Jake

...  There is only one Clean Shot powder not 2 as stated previously...

Whiskey 

Shooters-world-reloading-manual-12-16-16.pdf 3.43 MB · 3 downloads

Unfortunately, there was a Black Powder substitute by American Pioneer Powder many years ago that was called Clean Shot.  I believe it was available in FFg and FFFg granulations.  It is Not the same as the smokeless CleanShot that I'm asking about.

People should be very careful that they don't use old Clean Shot BP substitute with smokeless load data, or worse yet, use Clean Shot Smokeless with data from Clean Shot BP.

Archived