SASS Wire Forum

M1 ammo

Perro Del Diablo

I have 150 grn FMJ H 4895 and 5 different head stamped brass. 106 F C , 26 Winchester , 18 Frontier, 6 military, and 112 R P. I’m wanting load up some mild plinking ammo for my Garand. Powder is hard to acquire so if someone has a recipe with H4895 please let me know.

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Have you tried the CMP forums?

https://forums.thecmp.org/

Yes the conversation is more for match grade and Hornady fmj won’t quite live up to that. I have gotten a good idea thought I get some advice here as well.

i just finish priming the RP brass

How low you go depends on whether you want the load to function the M-1 reliably. Check the Lyman 43rd Edition. You might want to start with 45.0 gr of H4895 and the 150 gr. bullet.  I would not go much lower than that, however. [Usual disclaimer: I can assume NO RESPONSIBILITY for he use of the above data in rifles other than my own...and maybe not even then!]

Stay well and stay safe, Pard.

6 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I have 150 grn FMJ H 4895 and 5 different head stamped brass. 106 F C , 26 Winchester , 18 Frontier, 6 military, and 112 R P. I’m wanting load up some mild plinking ammo for my Garand. Powder is hard to acquire so if someone has a recipe with H4895 please let me know.

Hodgdon on line reloading data shows 30-06 with H4895 with a 150 grain bullet @ low end 43.0 gr and high end @ 47.5 grains. 

There is no disclaimer about being compatable with the M1 Garand however.

HOWEVER; Hornady shows an exclusive loading for the M1 Garand, with HODGDON H4895 POWDER, AND 150 TO 155 GRAIN BULLET

The load shows 46.4 max

16 hours ago, Doc X said:

I always used 46.0 gr of 4895 back in my National Match days. Both my Garands liked that load.

Which one? There is a difference between H 4895 and IMR4895. I believe it is a pressure difference between common loads. I have been using IMR 4895. I believe that is similar to the military load. I could be wrong about the military, but the powders are different. 

14 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Which one? There is a difference between H 4895 and IMR4895. I believe it is a pressure difference between common loads. I have been using IMR 4895. I believe that is similar to the military load. I could be wrong about the military, but the powders are different. 

IMR is as close to original military powder as available. H4895 is a similar burn rate but more temperature stable. I called Hodgdon  and was able to get a couple substitutes with benchmark only one i can find in stock.  I have 1 can of H4895 I will start with at 46 grn pushing 150 FMJs. I don't intend to compete just plinking out to about 100 yards. So safe load that will function is my priority.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

IMR 4895 

Archived