SASS Wire Forum

Winter Car Tip

Subdeacon Joe

Looks like a great reason to call out of work to me.

I don't know why anybody would be trying to go out if the weather's like that.  No place will be open and there's very little that won't wait a couple of days- when all that mess will be melted naturally and it's back in the '60's.

40 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Best winter car tip I heard was "Move to Florida" :lol:

Ya might want to delay the move several days unless you like moving in during a hurricane. On the bright side, at least hurricanes don't have snow, ice and freezing rain.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I don't know why anybody would be trying to go out if the weather's like that.  No place will be open and there's very little that won't wait a couple of days- when all that mess will be melted naturally and it's back in the '60's.

Nothing closes here in winter and the wait till it all melts will be 6 months

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Don't forget to change your blinker fluid!

blinker fluid.jpg

I may have to try your brand  mine is still broken

as for that snow stuff I have seen it on TV 

blinker fliud.jpg

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

A long time ago when I was a teen we had a really bad storm with freezing rain, and my car was completely glued shut just like the picture. I called in to my job (a hardware store) and said I couldn't make it in. My boss chewed me out saying she needed me there as there was wall-to-wall customers and nobody else showed up for work. So I ended up having to take hot water and slowly unfreeze my car, then carefully make my way along icy roads into work. All that for a lousy $5.00/hr minimum-wage job.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Don't forget to change the air in your tires.

Actually, that's partially true.. My Jeep runs at 35 psi in all tires.  When the Fall temps turned cool, my tire pressures all dropped to 32 psi.  Had to add 3 psi to each.

It's the Tom Brady Effect......

LL

12 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Actually, that's partially true.. My Jeep runs at 35 psi in all tires.  When the Fall temps turned cool, my tire pressures all dropped to 32 psi.  Had to add 3 psi to each.

It's the Tom Brady Effect......

LL

But that's kinda like changing your oil 1 quart at a time, Loophole.  To insure a quality tire experience, you need to first drain the tires of all the stale air, then refill with fresh air.  This keeps the old air from rusting the inside of your tires.:D

Howdy,

My Dad said they had to drain the cooling system every winter night.

They kept the coolant near the stove and refilled the car in the morning.

It was wonderful when anti freeze came along.

At first they used alcohol but the town drunks would drain cars and drink it.

I guess they went temporary blind from methyl alcohol...wood alcohol.

The bad old days.

Best

CR

55 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

But that's kinda like changing your oil 1 quart at a time, Loophole.  To insure a quality tire experience, you need to first drain the tires of all the stale air, then refill with fresh air.  This keeps the old air from rusting the inside of your tires.:D

To be truly effective the air has to be filtered. :rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Don't forget to change the air in your tires.

I was going to but all my dealer had was summer air! Darn Covid, they back ordered the winter air. I hope it comes in soon!:o

my tip having experienced it last night - dont drive in blizzards , flat tires on a wind swept stretch of road leaves you hoping both those behind you and the snow plows see you/miss you 

When we lived in Colorado Springs in the late 80s... I had to go out in a blizzard to get my oldest daughter from a friend's house.
My Dodge 4x4 had studded snow tires all the way around.
But... it was snowing SO hard, I had to have the kid walk in front of the truck with a poke stick so we could stay on the road.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

When we lived in Colorado Springs in the late 80s... I had to go out in a blizzard to get my oldest daughter from a friend's house.
My Dodge 4x4 had studded snow tires all the way around.
But... it was snowing SO hard, I had to have the kid walk in front of the truck with a poke stick so we could stay on the road.

They’ve added a lot of curb and gutter to keep you on the road now.  Just watch out for parked/stuck cars.  Modern add on fog lights help a lot in whiteouts.

10 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I may have to try your brand  mine is still broken

as for that snow stuff I have seen it on TV.

Maybe it's because Mark is using the Maximum Strength blinker fluid and you're using the regular strength stuff.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

A long time ago when I was a teen we had a really bad storm with freezing rain, and my car was completely glued shut just like the picture. I called in to my job (a hardware store) and said I couldn't make it in. My boss chewed me out saying she needed me there as there was wall-to-wall customers and nobody else showed up for work. So I ended up having to take hot water and slowly unfreeze my car, then carefully make my way along icy roads into work. All that for a lousy $5.00/hr minimum-wage job.

I was the only one that showed up- at 5 AM, no less- during the Blizzard of '93, so I understand completely. 

Wasn't making much more than $5.00 an hour at the time either- but I was the opener, had the keys AND lived within walking distance.  It was a college town where folks can't drive in broad daylight on a clear day.  There was no way that I was going to try to drive even the few blocks necessary to go to work.  By the time I went home, folks were up and moving about and the streets looked like a bad bumper car game.

I ended up having to get a hammer out of the truck to bust the ice off of the concrete in front of my apartment door to get inside after walking back from work, too.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

But the encabulator has to be set on WINTER

Tell me about it, mine was set for summer last year and I had a heckuva time starting it. Once the encabulator was set I had to replace the whippen. Car ran great then!

Freezing rain. What fun! I used to get a kick out of Southerners when freezing rain was headed our way. Not one loaf of bread or container of milk left in any store. But at least they had enough sense to stay off the roads. Those dipstick Yankees that thought they could drive on ice littered the highways everywhere. Hilarious! 
Driving in snow is one thing. Driving on ice? No dice! 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Freezing rain. What fun! I used to get a kick out of Southerners when freezing rain was headed our way. Not one loaf of bread or container of milk left in any store. But at least they had enough sense to stay off the roads. Those dipstick Yankees that thought they could drive on ice littered the highways everywhere. Hilarious! 
Driving in snow is one thing. Driving on ice? No dice! 

Any steering inputs made while driving on ice are merely suggestions.

By the time the gallon of milk and the loaf of bread are gone, all of the winter weather will be over, the roads will be clear and it'll be back in the low 60's and threatening to rain again.:D

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

By the time the gallon of milk and the loaf of bread are gone, all of the winter weather will be over, the roads will be clear and it'll be back in the low 60's and threatening to rain again.:D

How true!

16 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Tell me about it, mine was set for summer last year and I had a heckuva time starting it. Once the encabulator was set I had to replace the whippen. Car ran great then!

What part number on that whippen?

11 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Winter tires make all the difference. They are made of soft, pliable rubber and hold the road quite well. Cheap no-name all-seasons bought from the local Discount Tire will leave you sliding every single direction except the one you want to go.

Archived