SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Filly-osophy

Whiskey Hicks

I’m a religion studies and psychology dual major, and this in turn made me interested in psychology of religion, especially as explored by the perennial American philosophy of the Pragmatists like William James .

Getting to the point: I want to do a paper on the theme of the Frontier thesis and how it may have helped shape keenly American philosophers or religious sects.

If any of you have some good recommendations beyond William James or the other pragmatists you explore, I’m all open. They could be cowboys, poets, artists or whoever, anyone that’s had vaguely metaphysical or spiritual thoughts about the American frontier or character shaped by it.

The ultimate expressions of the philosopy of the free man of the West:

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

John Bernard Books

"You can't have no idea how little I care."

Monte Walsh

LL

23 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

The ultimate expressions of the philosopy of the free man of the West:

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

John Bernard Books

"You can't have no idea how little I care."

Monte Walsh

LL

I love that quote from the Shootist 

A thesis on the observations of Mark Twain and Will Rogers would be an interesting approach.  Let us know when you're through with your paper, Whiskey Hicks.  I'd be very interested in reading it.  Good luck.

The best suggestion I can make is to look up Dr. Paul Harvey.  He is a history professor at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, and is an expert on religion in the US with a special focus on the antebellum South.  He would probably know something about Westward expansion, as well.  

I don't agree with a word he says, because I am a Christian and he openly rejects anything having to do with Christianity, but he is one of the country's foremost scholars on the topic.  He also happens to be my professor right now while I'm working on another master's degree, this one in history :)

15 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The best suggestion I can make is to look up Dr. Paul Harvey.  He is a history professor at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, and is an expert on religion in the US with a special focus on the antebellum South.  He would probably know something about Westward expansion, as well.  

I don't agree with a word he says, because I am a Christian and he openly rejects anything having to do with Christianity, but he is one of the country's foremost scholars on the topic.  He also happens to be my professor right now while I'm working on another master's degree, this one in history :)

Really appreciate the source, pard. Good luck on that Masters. I’ll be going that direction or a Psych PhD program here in about a year.

Robert A. Heinlein was the dean of science fiction writers In the 1940s - 60s.  He had some interesting views on religion in his novel, “Job: A Comedy of Justice “.  Even if you can’t use it in your paper, it’s a fun read.

Charles Darwin’s “On The Origin Of Species” is probably the most influential work affecting religious philosophy during the Frontier period (1859).  Darwin based much of his findings on Charles Lyell’s geology text,  “Principles Of Geology”, published in 1830.  The split between those who take the Bible literally and those who don’t can be traced back to these two British scientists.  The Scopes Trial is a bit late for the Frontier period, but you may want to keep an eye out for instances of that debate in the West in the late 1800s.

i have no recollection of the specifics of the occassion anymore but when i was young watching a mountain man show western , the tag line was "the world began the day i was born ...and will end the day that i die"  he died in that show - it left a lasting memory 

Archived