SASS Wire Forum

Rimless rounds?

DeaconKC

Okay, looking at the possible, continued limited availability of reloading components and even ammunition, what do you guys think of being able to use replacement cylinders for rounds like the 9mm, 45 ACP or others if things continue as they are. And yes, I have read the SHB and know rimmed rounds are required.

I doubt that you will find .38 special harder to buy in the future than 9mm, say.   If one of those is in short supply, generally the other will be too.

Trying to guess this is sorta like day trading stocks.  In the long run, you will be disappointed.

Besides, the common rounds in rimless ammo are usually jacketed rounds, even FMJ.   Not allowed in SASS. If you can in the future load lead rimless, you will be able to load lead rimmed cartridges.

Good luck, GJ

I will be shooting 45 ACP this weekend out of my Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolvers. I bought a pair of 45 ACP cylinders for them about 5 years or so ago so I can shoot 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, or 45 ACP in them. I have a bunch of 45 ACP ammo that I reloaded back in the day for steel challenge & 3 gun shoots as well as Wild Bunch.  Every once in awhile I get them out, and now with the reloading component issues it gives me flexibility.

I've got convertible 9mm/.357 Blackhawks, .40 S&W/.38-40 Vaqueros, and straight .45acp Birdshead Vaqueros, and rotate them all into my CAS shooting using the auto pistol ammo.

These things are a hoot!

BirdsheadVaqueros.jpg.729f2526cab1250e6595513fc9fde93d.jpg

Archived