SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 - Removing Firing Pin Retainer Pin

Nels Gandy

I'm in the process of slicking up my 38/357 Rossi 92.  This is the carbine version with the safety on the bolt, which I will be removing and replacing with a plug. I bought this gun new a few years back and will be using it as my backup. This is the first time the gun has been completely apart. I'm following Nate Kiowa Jones' step by step video. Great video Nate! I'm having difficulty removing the firing pin retainer pin from the bolt by driving it out from the left side. After I removed the bolt I noticed the end of the firing  pin retainer pin on the left side was shiny and the end on the right side was below the surface of the bolt. It appears to me that the retaining pin may not have been installed properly originally or it worked itself out over time. As a result, in my opinion, the left end of the retaining pin may have become deformed as the bolt moved back and forth inside the receiver. Nate's instructions state driving the retaining pin from the left side and out the right side. Given the deformation of the left end of the retaining pin, is there any reason not to try and drive it out from the right side and out the left side? I've been pounding on this for some time with no success. Before I do anything further, I wanted to check and see if I'm missing something. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Archived