SASS Wire Forum

CPAP Cleaners

Lawdog Dago Dom

I have a Clean Zone. Bought for 100.00, does a good job. I use it about once a week. Interesting was the comment my Doctor made. I asked him about the germs that would be in the mask. tube and machine. He said that they were from me and as such I was probably already immune to them. So much for the TV ads!

Been using a CPAP since 2003, clean the mask and tube and reservoir weekly with soap and water, replace air filters monthly, replace everything when Medicare pays for it.  Never considered using another machine, don’t think I need it.

I toss my hose in the laundry with light soap and no softener, rinse thoroughly and hang dry.  I rinse the filters, nose piece and reservoir weekly and replace them when the replacements arrive, typically monthly.

My wife has a CPAP and cleans it by hand in the kitchen sink. We keep seeing that ad with William Shatner but the maker of the CPAP says using that cleaner will void the warranty. I don't see why but she doesn't want to risk it.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Did anyone else besides me read the topic and see it as “CRAP Cleaners”?

Same thing, I'm thinkin....

:)

30 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Did anyone else besides me read the topic and see it as “CRAP Cleaners”?

Charlie, I reckon you must not use one.  :rolleyes:

Yet~!!  :lol:

FDA Reminds Patients that Devices Claiming to Clean, Disinfect or Sanitize CPAP Machines Using Ozone Gas or UV Light Have Not Been FDA Authorized

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is issuing a Safety Communication to inform patients and health care providers that devices claiming to clean, disinfect or sanitize continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices or accessories (such as masks, tubing, headgear) using ozone gas or ultraviolet (UV) light are not legally marketed for this use by the FDA in the U.S., and as such, their safety and effectiveness for use with CPAP devices and accessories is unknown. 

While these devices claiming to clean, sanitize or disinfect CPAP machines and accessories have not been FDA cleared or approved for marketing in the U.S., the FDA conducted its own preliminary lab testing on several of those illegally marketed products. The testing demonstrated ozone-using disinfection devices generated ambient levels of ozone above limits considered safe for human exposure. Ozone levels were also high in CPAP machines and tubing even after waiting the amount of time recommended by the ozone-based device manufacturer after a cleaning cycle. The FDA’s studies also showed the power of the UV light and time during which CPAP masks and accessories were exposed to this light varied considerably among UV cleaners. If CPAP components are exposed to insufficiently strong UV light or processed for an insufficient amount of time, the CPAP components could be inadequately disinfected leading to safety and performance issues.

I guess the FDA warning has it's place. But there is absolutely no danger with the device I use. The whole process is enclosed in a large plastic bag that traps all the gas. The device also has a built in self timer that allows it to only 1/2 hour operation. I also take the equipment that is cleaned and allow it to set all day to make sure any ozone is gone when I need it at night. Been using it once a week for about a year with no problems.

My brother in law uses one at home. Wish he could use it at deer camp. No power there though. My God, the snoring! I don't get any sleep until the third night when I'm so exhausted that I pass out.

Just now, largo casey #19191 said:

Anybody have a problem with Dry Mouth.I do

Largo

Do you make sure your reservoir has water?  You may also be sleeping with your mouth open.  Not a good practice with a CPAP, so I've been told.

When ever I think about it and in the mood. Which ain't too often.

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

Same problem as I am a mouth breather. My dentist recommended XyliMelts. He gave me some samples that worked well.  It is a tablet for dry mouth. Works great for me. It has one side that gets sticky when it's wet. I put it between my teeth and inside cheek on the upper molars, on both sides. I had trouble finding them, so I went online and ordered them from WallMart. Comes in different flavors,I like Mild Mint. 

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

My brother in law uses one at home. Wish he could use it at deer camp. No power there though. My God, the snoring! I don't get any sleep until the third night when I'm so exhausted that I pass out.

I just use an adapter/transformer that clips on to a regular 12volt car battery. Usually get four nights before needing a recharge. Planning to try a much lighter lithium battery after a bit more research. When we went to Africa just needed an adapter to match the plug, and used 240 direct. My machine is an AirSense 10 and came multi voltage. (12, 110, 240)
Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 11/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

I use a chin strap to keep my mouth shut.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:21 PM, largo casey #19191 said:

Always has water.Use a full face mask.Can only get 4-5 Hrs before I have to take it off.

Your mouth is coming open and the mask is leaking is my guess.  Full face masks are supposed to be tough to keep a seal on.  I used a snore-eez mouth guard with my CPAP to good effect.  The suction action that you do for the mouthpiece keeps your mouth closed.  It actually lowered the setting I needed too because it kept my jaw forward.  Plus, it sorta taught me how to keep my mouth closed.  I don't use the mouth guard anymore. 

On 11/11/2020 at 5:09 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I went ahead and bought a travel CPAP with a battery.  I can recommend the Dreamstation go.  The only real drawback is that insurance won't pay for a travel CPAP for some reason.  Even if you are eligible to get a new one because you've been using the same one for 10 years.  Not all Travel CPAPs have a battery so he needs to look out for that.  I do not recommend an HDM Z1 travel pap.  In fact I unrecommend it so much that if anyone really wants one I'll send you mine for free if I can find it (though you may not want it after reading the next paragraph).  It doesn't put out enough airflow for me.  I had to suck in when it was on. 

And to answer the initial question, I don't clean mine.  I bet in the 20 or so years I've been using one, I've cleaned the hoses less than a dozen times and never the machine itself.  Right now my philosophy is to just replace the hoses every few years.  I did have to start cleaning the water tank on my current machine.  For some reason it's getting a scale on it.  But it turns out the scale is very soft and rinses out easily. 

Archived