SASS Wire Forum

trailboss for 12 ga

SouthwestShooter

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Trailboss doesn't work in SG shells. When it is compressed even lightly it behaves very erratically. Save it for metallic cartridges.

Even if it worked it would be very expensive powder for shotshells. Red Dot, Clay Dot or Clays would be much more economical to load.

Randy

I use Titewad. Been using it for years, gave up TrailBoss for Titegroup in my 45's also. It is not temp sensitive. Not near as dirty either

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Unique works well for SG. Just as it does for any other cartridge used in SASS. ;)

OLG 

Just so ya know Lumpy, I picked up an 8 lb jug of Unique last week. Never loaded it before but thought it good insurance in case my other powders become hard to come by. ^_^ 

I use Trailboss for literally everything from .32 S&W to .45-70 and 56-50 Spencer.   

The only things I don't use it for are semi-autos other than .45ACP.

I wondered if it was usable for shotshells, and everything I've read says it's just not viable.   Based on that, I did not want to experiment with it.   I just use Red Dot for shotshells, using my father's recipe for trap loads.

Yo-Ho-De-O pilgrim try 700X, Clays, Red Dot, Unique,. All good for S.G my friend..

JRJ

On 11/12/2020 at 7:19 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

FYI, many powders that work well for 12 gauge do not work as well for 16 and 20 gauge - and vice versa.

Very true.   I use Red Dot for my 12 Gauge.   When I went to start loading 20 gauge, I discovered that it is considered to be a very bad idea to try and use Red Dot in the 20.    So I wound up using HS6.   I originally got this for something else, I don't remember what, and it didn't work out like I'd hoped.   But, I noticed a recipe for 20 gauge on the canister, so I tried it.  I like it.  :)

Titewad is a good economical powder for light 12 gauge loads...

I'm using 13 grains with a gray Claybuster 7/8 ounce wad. 

OP,
700-X or Clays have published light loads for 12-gauge.

700-X, 13.2 grains, CB0175-12 wad, 3/4 oz #7.5, STS hulls, Fed 209A
Clays,  13.7 grains, CB0175-12 wad, 3/4 oz #75. STS hulls, Win 209

These provide 10.6 ~ 10.7 ft lbs of recoil in my 5.75 lb SxS.
These are the lightest published loads I have found... after a lot of searching.

Trail Boss is VERY pricey and very scarce right now.
I have 4 lbs just for my wife's ultra light 38SP loads.
Clays and 700-X are both available.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:49 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I use Trailboss for literally everything from .32 S&W to .45-70 and 56-50 Spencer.   

The only things I don't use it for are semi-autos other than .45ACP.

I wondered if it was usable for shotshells, and everything I've read says it's just not viable.   Based on that, I did not want to experiment with it.   I just use Red Dot for shotshells, using my father's recipe for trap loads.

I can't imagine what's going to happen to you when you discover powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, Clays, Solo 1000, Promo, and probably a dozen other ones I'm forgetting the names of.

I don't load shotgun but if I did, my favorite fast burning powders would be perfect for it.

10 hours ago, Chacón said:

I can't imagine what's going to happen to you when you discover powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, Clays, Solo 1000, Promo, and probably a dozen other ones I'm forgetting the names of.

I don't load shotgun but if I did, my favorite fast burning powders would be perfect for it.

Fast powders give you the sharpest, quickest snap in felt recoil. 

Slower powders like Unique, reduce the sharp 'snap' of the recoil a good bit.

OLG 

Hmmm - pistol powder in a shotgun ?   Next thing is gonna be shotgun powder for pistols.  What's the world comin' to ???  :o

And yeah - my little emoticon buddies came wandering home this week ... I'm gonna buy a lotto ticket.

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Fast powders give you the sharpest, quickest snap in felt recoil. 

Slower powders like Unique, reduce the sharp 'snap' of the recoil a good bit.

OLG 

Just the ticket for Kaya's 20 guage.

You know, that many people have wondered about Trailboss for use in the shotgun is intriguing.   I think we can at this point understand that it is not well suited to shotgun loads.   But the fact that it is so otherwise broadly usable naturally leads to the speculation that started this thread.  

The idea of a one size fits all powder is a powerful one.  But when all is said and done, I think it would be very hard to find such a powder.   I am sure that someone will now chime in and say how they use black powder for everything, but that's not my point.   I know my Dad used Red Dot for .45 Colt, as well as his shotgun reloading, and I have read that it can do well in other pistol, and even rifle calibers.  But if I recall correctly the Red Dot loadings for many of those are more for hunting or "performance" loads as opposed to the more lower power target shooting type things we do in our game.

When all is said and done, as much as many of us would like for there to be one, I think it is unlikely that there exists a single powder that can be used in a CAS type loading for pistols, rifles and shotguns.    Throw in a few other calibers that many of us may reload for, and the  prospect of a one size fits all powder becomes more and more remote, even if one powder does the lions share of the work.

All of that being said, I'd venture to guess that it is possible to cover all of our reloading needs with 2 powders, three at the most.   And yet, even as I type that, I realize that I am using 4 different powders.   

Trailboss.

Red Dot

Win 231

HS6

These are my most used powders.   Although, I have learned that Red Dot or HS6 can be used in most everything I use 231 for, so once I run out of that, I''ll probably not get any more.  By the same token, I've learned that 231 works well in .45 ACP when I had to load up some stuff and ran out of Trailboss.  In other words, don't forget that many powders can be used in the same calibers.  Sure, we all seem to have our preference, but it's good to remember what the alternatives are if you are suddenly running low on something.

Oh, tired 4895.   Didn't like it.   Too much recoil.  :)

Archived