SASS Wire Forum

What is your match design preference?

Jeb Stuart #65654

We set up all 6 stages using the same target arrays in one berm with a slight target rearrangement after a lunch break. We have a small club with less than 20 shooters. KISS principle. Steel is heavy and we is old. 

Jeb-

My preference is one stage per bay.   That being said, if it was shoot two and then move, I would certainly not object or would it be a reason to not come back.   BTW- my wife thinks there are rattlesnakes in Great Falls...  please confirm she is wrong!!!  

6 hours ago, T-Bone Shorty said:

Jeb-

My preference is one stage per bay.   That being said, if it was shoot two and then move, I would certainly not object or would it be a reason to not come back.   BTW- my wife thinks there are rattlesnakes in Great Falls...  please confirm she is wrong!!!  

Ok, we all should recognize that all the snakes are in Washington... DC.. ;)

My preference is one stage per bay.  HOWEVER, if we were having to set and tear down steel for every match, I'm sure I'd prefer 2 (or more) stages per bay.  As ssaid, with just a LITTLE bit of effort and a TINY bit of imagination, shooting 2 different scenarios on the same bay should be no problem.

This seems to be a regional thing, because I've been shooting for 16 years now and have travelled to several different states and other than Mule Camp, I've never shot at any club that had to set steel before matches.  I guess we're just extremely lucky down here.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:28 PM, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Our club, the Blackhorse shootists host the Montana SASS state championship. We have 6 bays to use to put on a 12 stage match.  So we can shoot 6 one day and then re-set for the second day or just shoot 2 per stage.  May initial question was not how does your club do it, the question is what do you prefer.

We've done it both ways.  We have six bays at our club, and have an annual two-day match (10 stages).  Some years we do not have to move targets at all between day one and day two, while other years we change almost every stage.  We plan it out so we know exactly what targets get moved to where and which ones get removed and can get it done as quickly as possible.  All targets are repainted between day one and day two, as well.  I've never heard our shooters express a preference between one or the other.  I think it has more to do with the preference of the host club that has to do all of the labor between day one and day two.  I do have to say, though, we always seem to have plenty of help with moving and painting targets -- even from those who are guests at our club.

Archived