SASS Wire Forum

Custom Guns, Dreams Vs. Reality

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

On 11/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

For 40 years, I've been wanting a left hand flintlock rifle, either a Tennessee or Pennsylvania.  One day.

I’ve wanted a Jaeger

Custom guns are all function for me. I've had/have 6.5-06 across the course rifle, .308 sniper rig, two National Match ARs, a National Match Garand and two ARs I've built for specific uses. 6.5-06 and and .308 sub-MOA out to 1000, NM ARs and Garand sub-MOA to 600 and the two special purpose ARs meet their purpose.

For me the beauty of the .44Russian was its close proximity to the .44 Henry Centerfire but there has been some relief there!  We do now have the .45 Special which gives us a real close kin and now the Uberti Henry with a 45 CHAMBERING is just a whisper away, just do consider a 20" barl with some Indian dressing to be just right.   

21 minutes ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

For me the beauty of the .44Russian was its close proximity to the .44 Henry Centerfire but there has been some relief there!  We do now have the .45 Special which gives us a real close kin and now the Uberti Henry with a 45 CHAMBERING is just a whisper away, just do consider a 20" barl with some Indian dressing to be just right.   

I saw an Uberti Henry, and a 66, both in .45 Colt, several years ago.   Passed on both of them for .44-40's for some reason I can't remember.

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Stainless 1873 Uberti would be nice.

Alternatively a hard chromed one. I’ve wondered, do you get it slicked, then chromed, or chromed then slicked?

Slicked then chromed.

I would like 4 pair of Colts.  A pair of Colt Paterson Percussion Revolvers, No. 5, Holster Model en-graved and with the 3 interchangeable barrels, pearl grips. A pair of early Colt 1851 Navy 1st Model revolver. Made in 1850 engraved  by Gustave Youngwith German silver blade front sight, full folitate and scroll-engraving, Colt one-piece ivory grip. Left grip panel with raised carved Mexican eagle other gun right grip panel with raised carved Mexican eagle. A set of 1st gen Colts, 5 1/2" barrels in .44-40 full engraved by Gustave Young or Nimschke, Nickel plated, and Standing Liberty pearl grips.  Last a pair Colt .45 Nimschke en- graved with 5 1/2" barrels, Nickel plated, and Mexican Eagle on-piece ivory grips like the 1851.  Would also like a pair engraved by Helfricht. all in Colt Cases with all items included at time of build.

You said dream gun.

I guess both of these are custom guns...

76182366_GoldIvory.thumb.JPG.57f4b86e68165404a74a913cfbe6f6b4.JPG

That's a Restoration of old Fort Des Moines Commeorative Colt, which I suppose by definition makes it custom to begin with.   But I replaced the factory mother of pearl grips with wooley mammoth ivory ones.

Then there's this...

Pepperbox.thumb.jpg.ee83b1da304d2aa8857a4c3ca267cec1.jpg

When I saw those percussion pepperboxes on a 51 Colt frame a few years ago, I said in the hearing of a great gunsmith that a cartridge version of one would be cool.   Next time I saw him, he had this.  I bought it.  :)

I am always working on some projects and they have all been fun.  I rebuilt a clapped out Spencer Carbine years before reproductions were available so I could have a shooter (made pretty much everything but the action).   

I did a fully engraved 1956 Colt that started out as a $900 gray gun with half the trigger guard half filed off of and the hammer checkering screwed up.  I did the metal work and replaced some parts, my dad engraved it, Turnbull did the finish,  and nutmeg made the grips (when it was legal).  It was expensive but worth it.  

Right now I am restoring a Bannerman Spencer shotgun so I can shoot it.  Not a sass gun, but I love the Guns of Chris Spencer.  I have included a shot of it in progress.  I am making a few more small parts before it goes off to get color cased and blued.  

I have a 1905 44-40 7.5 inch SAA that was refinished in a pretty bland way by Christie’s that belonged to my good friend Pawnee Bill that I am thinking of refinishing.  I also have an 1876 manufactured 45 SAA that I have been thinking about having restored to factory spec (the barrel has been sawed off).  If I restored the 1876, I would probably have the work done by Dave Lanara or Turnbull.  A big money project, but I got the gun for $600.  

F977961E-9AF4-48FD-AA2C-ECE110F51640.jpeg

DC20A625-DE65-4BDB-820E-F9365EDE3735.jpeg

Elmer Keith #5

A Hamilton Bowen worked large bore single action.

John Linebaugh large bore single action.

Archived