SASS Wire Forum

Advice on holsters for 3.5 inch cattleman

hwrangwarrior@yahoo.com

Look for a used rig here on the wire. I use the same holsters for my 4 5/8 inch Evil Roy's, for my 3 1/2 inch Sheriff Models.No problem keeping the shorties in the holsters during movement.

Choctaw Jack 

Or....You might have a guy at your club (or another local club) who makes holsters for a reasonable price.

I had these made for mine -- nice to have special holsters for special guns!

--Dawg

snubbies.jpg

ADVISE:   you don't want 'bucket' holsters for short barreled revolvers.   Get a holster that will 

give your gun a 'snug' fit.     I shoot 3" barreled Ruger Vaq and although the holsters are not tight,

they are snug and keeps the revolvers from 'bouncing out' while moving on the stage.

..........Widder

Many Lustrum ago, I had a custom rig made by GALCO.  Based on holsters designed for Beth Shotwell (mounted).  Made for 3 1/2 inch Rugers, opposing cross-draw which gave both holsters forward muzzle rake.  Adjustable tension on the guns and on the belt.  Wish the belt hadn't shrunk.  Bummer.

Paul Combest of Reddog Leather made a nice Mexican loop holster for my EMF Sheriff’s model. His prices are very reasonable for the quality of leather craft. I also like the look of JM Leather’s Doc Holiday holster for shorty revolvers.

http://www.jm-leather.com/doc_holiday.htm

9CF67C96-28E4-4EC8-9527-042B216E4448.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:21 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

ADVISE:   you don't want 'bucket' holsters for short barreled revolvers.   Get a holster that will 

give your gun a 'snug' fit.     I shoot 3" barreled Ruger Vaq and although the holsters are not tight,

they are snug and keeps the revolvers from 'bouncing out' while moving on the stage.

..........Widder

I solidly concur, Widder!  Such short-barreled guns should have the trigger guard supported.  I recommend having the hammer spur shrouded (as I do with most of my holster designs, so as to prevent the spur being snagged).  Also recommend a hammer thong for when you are not actually going to draw the gun.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

14 hours ago, hwrangwarrior@yahoo.com said:

Excellent ty. Are shoulder rigs legal in sass

Yes, they're perfectly legal. And everytime you wear it you will overhear some busybody suggesting to the posse leader that it's problematic or otherwise unsafe.

13 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yes. But awkward and slow. They do have style points though!

They are by no means expedient on the draw, but definitely have style.

15 hours ago, hwrangwarrior@yahoo.com said:

Excellent ty. Are shoulder rigs legal in SASS?

Yes, same as belt-worn cross-draws, as long as they are in compliance with the holster regs (e.g. <30° angle), and the shooter doesn't violate the 180° allowance when drawing & reholstering.
REF: SHB p.3

Archived