SASS Wire Forum

Source for Buckaroo clothing

Howdy folks,

My 9 yo son and I have recently started in this wonderful sport, and I am in search of traditional clothing for kids. It seems our go-to sources don’t have dry goods for the kiddos.  Anyone out there found a source for traditional western clothing in pint size?

Thanks in advance!

JJ

I'd call James Country Mercantile Sutler in Missouri.

http://www.jamescountry.com/ladiesandchildren.html 

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

Goodwill and Salvation Army.  That’s where I first look and found clothes for Cowboy 

5 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

I'd call James Country Mercantile Sutler in Missouri.

http://www.jamescountry.com/ladiesandchildren.html 

Thanks guys!  The local thrift stores have been bare for the little guy so far  but I will also definitely check out the folks in MO. Great tips, as always. 

Don't rule out the thrift stores so quickly.  Buy long-sleeved shirts with neckbands & collars; find somebody who can remove the collars & leave the neckbands.  Jeans or work pants work - just remove the belt loops and back pockets and add "batchelor buttons" to secure suspenders.  Grandson #1 wore some ladies' boots I found in discount stores (I don't buy shoes in thrift stores) until he outgrew them - and no one knew.  He looked good.  Grandson #2 preferred the B-western-looking shirts I could also find in 2nd-hand stores, but it's been a while on that.  Point is, you do not have to throw a whole lot of money at this for the kiddo.  Glad to have him, by the way.  We treasure the times the boys shot with us.

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

Don't rule out the thrift stores so quickly.  Buy long-sleeved shirts with neckbands & collars; find somebody who can remove the collars & leave the neckbands.  Jeans or work pants work - just remove the belt loops and back pockets and add "batchelor buttons" to secure suspenders.  Grandson #1 wore some ladies' boots I found in discount stores (I don't buy shoes in thrift stores) until he outgrew them - and no one knew.  He looked good.  Grandson #2 preferred the B-western-looking shirts I could also find in 2nd-hand stores, but it's been a while on that.  Point is, you do not have to throw a whole lot of money at this for the kiddo.  Glad to have him, by the way.  We treasure the times the boys shot with us.

Hey MizPete,

thanks for the thorough reply. I’m definitely open to this type of stuff but the racks at my local thrift stores look like it’s “end of days” ever since the ‘vid hit.  Great ideas on how to modify modern stuff to look vintage. I’ll hit the Goodwill on the next trip thru town with that in mind. Thanks for the encouragement too. All you Cowboys have been so welcoming to my boy and I it’s unreal. It’s great to have a really good bunch of folks being an influence on him these days. Can’t get enough of that!  Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

It’s great to have a really good bunch of folks being an influence on him these days.

Yes.  Yes, it is.  We'd take the grandsons to the range & felt able to turn them loose with the admonition not to be a problem to anybody.  We'd see them off in the distance with somebody's dog.  Great way to raise a kid & so few places you can do it these days.

Look for (clothing) possibilities everywhere you go.  They outgrow stuff so fast & it doesn't have to be hard or expensive.

I'll repeat one of my favorite grandson stories, a conversation I actually overheard.  G#1 was shooting the Rugers that Petey started with before buying SASS colts. Petey had bought G#2, just a very little guy, a pair of .22s.  Sez G#1:  well, I shoot .45s.  G#2:  Yeah, but mine are Colts.

4 minutes ago, MizPete said:G#1 was shooting the Rugers that Petey started with before buying SASS colts. Petey had bought G#2, just a very little guy, a pair of .22s.  Sez G#1:  well, I shoot .45s.  G#2:  Yeah, but mine are Colts.

Great story!  Hey - I see you hail from the great state of NC!  My family is from Greenville, NC but my dad settled out here in the Seattle area after his military service. My alias is actually my 2nd great grandpa’s name - he was a confederate soldier, farmer and occasional lawman just outside of Greenville at the family farm back in the day.  My 9 yo son’s alias is also Wainwright and if I get my daughters involved I’ll have a whole Wainwright clan!  Good to meet you, sir. Thanks again for the support. 

Try Work-N-Ranch.  ww.worknranch.com  Kyle should be able to help. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, MizPete said:

Yup.

Easy to remove tge colar, leave the band. Whip stitch it closed if you don't have a machine.

Remove the pockets, and can even sew up the button pallet to be 'authentic' looking.

Pants, buy up cordaroy! Put buttons on the waist band to attach suspenders.

Biggest thing, is have fun!!!!

Archived