SASS Wire Forum

Running a club FB page???

Cholla

I volunteered to be the administrator for our new club Facebook page. If any of you are going the same, such as @Doc McCandless, I could use tips to make this easier.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/390160418793926

I don’t run groups like @Doc McCandless however, I’ve got a lot of FB experience. Post often and share other important information from other groups/Cowboys so that your members/followers get in the habit of going to your page to find out match info/club info FIRST... Good luck and have fun with it!  

Also, look into scheduling posts so you don’t have to keep going and posting... you could schedule 3 things to post at different days/times and you only have to mess with it once. 

By the way, I joined your page! :wub:

Big hugs!

Scarlett

I would like to post a guide for general firearms rules and minimum cowboy/cowgirl attire requirements but I don't see a place for that.

How did you do the "related page" thing?

image.png.b34cc9115bac6764bb53d7eef2ab7934.png

Yes, folks like pictures of themselves... you can link to shooter handbook etc... the three little dots top right (see picture) will give you as admin different choices than me as proposed member... but you can “Pin to Top” (group expectations/rules/content etc). And, some pages don’t let members post ...I think it’s good to allow folks to post within group page guidelines - whatever you make them - it’s more engaging! :)

Hugs!

Scarlett

9A758C3C-6F33-4A46-8582-F7FECBA7EBA9.png

Regarding Facebook...

While I assume Facebook is a viable tool to exchange information - there are MANY MANY of us who REFUSE to use or join Facebook.

Your clubs website should be where scores, schedules, etc. are accessed and available - when I see a club that tells me I have to access Facebook to see scores or view club activities or get information regarding their annual shoot - I simply move on.

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

there are MANY MANY of us who REFUSE to use or join Facebook.

Yeap,  

I reluctantly joined FB to keep up with our granddaughters.  Then one wouldn't friend me and then locked me out. The other quit using FB.

Then our gun club uses FB for all its announcements, range scheduling and such.  "Well, it was on FB." Well woop-de-doo!  They don't have a web site. I got admn privilege to schedule events and post some cowboy stuff because none of this was being done by the administrators. 

I hate FB.  It's beating me up right now and not showing posts up for not adding more friends.  It's always after me to expand my profile information. 

Lots of folks are leaving FB because of their censorship. Some are moving to PARLER that I know nothing about.

I know many people who have never been a part of fb, never will, and i know folks who have been fbers, but no more and are leaving it.

There has got to be a better medium for communication than fb.

I've never trusted fb, never will.

The group also has an email being sent out.

Agree Cholla, our club uses facebook but all scores and information we want our shooters to have is sent through email.  We do not have a website because that is "over my head" but we do use facebook and emails.  I do love to go to clubs that have websites and see what they are doing but in the past year have found more than a couple that are not updating their websites which disappoints me but realize it is all volunteer work and perhaps they are just moving away from websites to facebook and email announcements.  All of our club shooters do emails but not all do facebook.

I too don't want anything to do with FB. It sucks you can't even visit a page without being a member and giving up all your privacy. I do miss out on some good info however, but still not gonna do it!

4 hours ago, Cholla said:

The group also has an email being sent out.

And when I am a member of a club; I appreciate the emails.  But if I'm not a member; where does that potential shooter get information?

After 17 years of being a club officer and match director; I decided I was going to take the opportunity to attend some different clubs and events.

I am discovering a lot of clubs communicate thru Facebook and emails. 

But I'm not a member of your club - I don't receive this information.

Without a current website to verify schedules, shoot starting times, directions to your range and a club contact phone number - I am not going to drive to your city, rent a hotel room and HOPE that your old tag on the SASS clubs page is still accurate.

Now there are some clubs that would say, "Good, we didn't want Creeker coming around anyhow." and I wouldn't blame then too much.

Cholla, I don't do FB, I guess I should say I won't do FB, because I like my privacy and don't like sharing my life for the whole world to see. I know that the two clubs I now belong to have a FB page and I guess I will be missing out on some things. But as I see what FB is becoming and the mass exodus from FB, I don't think I will be missing too much. Besides I get a lot of my info from the SASS wire. See you there.

AG

1 hour ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Cholla, I don't do FB, I guess I should say I won't do FB, because I like my privacy and don't like sharing my life for the whole world to see. I know that the two clubs I now belong to have a FB page and I guess I will be missing out on some things. But as I see what FB is becoming and the mass exodus from FB, I don't think I will be missing too much. Besides I get a lot of my info from the SASS wire. See you there.

AG

Tramp is also sending out emails. Are you on that list?

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

And when I am a member of a club; I appreciate the emails.  But if I'm not a member; where does that potential shooter get information?

After 17 years of being a club officer and match director; I decided I was going to take the opportunity to attend some different clubs and events.

I am discovering a lot of clubs communicate thru Facebook and emails. 

But I'm not a member of your club - I don't receive this information.

Without a current website to verify schedules, shoot starting times, directions to your range and a club contact phone number - I am not going to drive to your city, rent a hotel room and HOPE that your old tag on the SASS clubs page is still accurate.

Now there are some clubs that would say, "Good, we didn't want Creeker coming around anyhow." and I wouldn't blame then too much.

I know of no one that would say "We don't want Creeker to attend." But I haven't taken a poll among the members to see if we should or shouldn't. :P

I have a different perspective. For the last 24 years I have been writing a column for Muzzle Blasts (NMLRA) about muzzleloading-related websites, ten per month. The vast majority I look at are orphaned with no one taking care of them or updating them and without something to show when they were last updated, there's no way to tell if the information is current or 20 years old. Sometimes they have a phone number, most of the time they don't. So the information shown on a website may not be valid. With Facebook I can easily see when the last post was made and I can instantly PM the person running it to get information.

Running a website isn't easy. I did it for three fruitless years for my own online outdoors magazine. It consumed most of my time. Facebook is much easier and I can easily promote things in the local community to attract new shooters. And, in many cases a website costs money to maintain. FB doesn't.

I am not happy with FB either but it is the biggest venue to attract shooters. I am going to check out Parlor, ASN, and other options. But, I am only a volunteer, I work fulltime, plus write for a few magazines with deadlines each month so I am going to have to find a balance between work and pleasure.

Thanks for your perspective and taking the time to provide it.

36 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Tramp is also sending out emails. Are you on that list?

Yes I'm on Tramp's email list, I'm also one of the score keepers along with Wolfie.

2 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Yes I'm on Tramp's email list, I'm also one of the score keepers along with Wolfie.

Great. Just making sure. I am working on a ASN page as well.

We run a FB page.  Pictures, pictures, pictures.  We post a little bit about upcoming events and scores, but I try to photograph as many of the shooters as I can.  Then I post all of the photos to our site.  I also try to video one or two shooters and post the video on our site.  If someone has a particularly bad run, I won't post it though.  

FB is bad news (pun intended)

Their business model depends on collecting data.  (I know, so does Google).

I, at this time, refuse to add to their data collection.

Get a simple web site.

I run our posse's page.  I also encourage our members to post on it as well.  I began by inviting as many cowboy/girl friends that I have on FB and it grew from there.  We have two admins on the page and we approve all new memberships.  I added 3 questions to be answered in order to gain membership.  I used to get requests from what I call "duck faced twinkies".  I would promptly deny membership and also block them from access.  I try to do all I can to keep our members safe from spammers, etc.  We post pictures and scores regularly.  Sometimes in our off season, aka winter, we play some games.  One was guessing who the cowboy was.  Pictures were sent to me by cowboys and cowgirls showing them as children in cowboy apparel.  I would post one a week and the members would guess who they were.  At the end of the off season, we announced who got the most correct.  It was a bunch of fun.
You can visit our page at El Posse Grande.

One of our members started a Facebook page for our shooting club.  We also have a website, which I guess I am in charge of (although the match director has admin rights to update it, as well).  Our webpage is our primary means of communication; all of our stages, scores, important announcements, as well as directions to the club, etc., etc., are on that page.  All the critical information is on the landing page.  The entire website is updated at least monthly.  Facebook is primarily used to direct people to the website when there has been something update, such as scores posted, the next match's stages posted, or something of that nature.  Probably the most useful thing we use Facebook for is sharing pictures.  We (not me, but others) take a lot of pictures at matches and post them on our Facebook page.  We encourage all shooters at our club to share their pictures.  We used to upload them to our webpage, but it was incredibly slow, and took up a lot of space on our website that we determined was put to better use for other things.  And uploading pictures to Facebook is easy.

I've heard from a number of shooters that aren't on Facebook -- that's okay -- the only thing they miss are the pictures, and an occasional joke or cartoon.

If there is something really timely and important to get the word out ASAP (such as when a shooter passes away), we send an email to everyone on our email list.

Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, Cholla said:

I know of no one that would say "We don't want Creeker to attend." But I haven't taken a poll among the members to see if we should or shouldn't. :P

I have a different perspective. For the last 24 years I have been writing a column for Muzzle Blasts (NMLRA) about muzzleloading-related websites, ten per month. The vast majority I look at are orphaned with no one taking care of them or updating them and without something to show when they were last updated, there's no way to tell if the information is current or 20 years old. Sometimes they have a phone number, most of the time they don't. So the information shown on a website may not be valid. With Facebook I can easily see when the last post was made and I can instantly PM the person running it to get information.

Running a website isn't easy. I did it for three fruitless years for my own online outdoors magazine. It consumed most of my time. Facebook is much easier and I can easily promote things in the local community to attract new shooters. And, in many cases a website costs money to maintain. FB doesn't.

I am not happy with FB either but it is the biggest venue to attract shooters. I am going to check out Parlor, ASN, and other options. But, I am only a volunteer, I work fulltime, plus write for a few magazines with deadlines each month so I am going to have to find a balance between work and pleasure.

Thanks for your perspective and taking the time to provide it.

Thanks for that effort in Muzzle Blasts Cholla, I check them out every month.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Couldn't find the one on "Home made Mortars" however!

I started a new thread for you with the website. Enjoy.

I run a FB page called "The Pistoleros", it's for one handed shooters only. Not much activity. I try to put some new things on but a FB group is only successful if everyone participates. It's not a club page it's for everyone.

Check it out, The Pistoleros 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1910907549168810

As has been mentioned, many are apprehensive about using Facebook (FB) and their concerns are understandable.  In order to ensure appropriate communication our club utilizes three resources.  We have a FB page, an email list, and we created a club website, www.sassrenegades.com.  Match scheduling information is posted on all three.  Videos are typically posted on FB and photos are posted on the website.  Scores are typically posted on FB and/or our website.  Club information can be managed via FB and the email list.  The website provides several advantages such as posting stages, scores and photos for a period of time.  Additionally, we post sponsor information associated with our annual State Match.  The creation of the website was a team effort and is managed by myself and another club member.  Average computer literacy is sufficient to create a website, however one needs to be able to commit some time to this effort.  The learning curve was steep at times.  We used a website development firm, www.homestead.com.  We found their technical assistance to be very helpful.  Our cost is $9.99 a month.  
Looking forward to reviewing others experiences with options such as Action Shooting Network, mewe, and Parler.

Archived