SASS Wire Forum

Euclid

Subdeacon Joe

One of the earliest fragments of Euclid’s Elements of Geometry, ca. 100 CE. It diagrams Euclid’s fifth proposition, and reads “If a straight line be cut into equal and unequal  segments, the rectangle contained by the unequal segments of the  whole together with the square on the straight line between the  points of section is equal to the square on the half.”

FB_IMG_1604888882080.jpg

There are a few problems with this.  Mostly the translation.  We make a guess at what was the intended message and pronounce it good. In actual fact we do not know the several nuances involved in the writings..

I have degrees in this topic and like Pat, I have no idea what the translation intends to say.

I actually understand Duffield's geometry equation. If geometry would have been as easy as his equation I would have passed geometry with an A. The geometry they tried to teach me in high school was not easy for me to understand and I got a D-.

I thought this was going to be about my town of Euclid, Ohio !!!! :lol:

http://www.cityofeuclid.com/

My wife says all these ancient science and math geniuses were taught by the Aliens or a DNA infusion that allowed for leaps of insight.

I passed all my geometry exams with an "A" and got an "F" in the class because I refused to do the homework.

BTW, if anybody is interested, that old slope of a line thing, Y=mx+B has real value if you want to interpolate powder charges and velocities.
I used it to find intermediate powder charges to produce pressures for my BHN=9 bullets.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I thought this was going to be about my town of Euclid, Ohio !!!! :lol:

http://www.cityofeuclid.com/

I thought it was gonna be about a big honkin dump truck. :lol:

If that makes your head hurt try spherical geometry. 

If you are really into torturing yourself then try Lobachevskian geometry.

For any given line R and point P not on R, in the plane containing both line R and point P there are at least two distinct lines through P that do not intersect R.

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If that makes your head hurt try spherical geometry. 

If you are really into torturing yourself then try Lobachevskian geometry.

For any given line R and point P not on R, in the plane containing both line R and point P there are at least two distinct lines through P that do not intersect R.

Except after dark on Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Who painted the trees?

I think it was God! Beautiful aren’t they? That’s a couple streets away from me.

Always one of my favorites.  

In college, 2nd go-around; needed another 3 hours of math (English major).  My faculty advisor recommended a theory course (the way he put it was "it still has numbers in it, but..."

Proff asked for the pythagorian theorem & I spit it out.  Grand silence.  Then I blurted out: where the f**k did that come from?

I had no further problem in that class, from the proff or the kids.

Euclid, on the other hand, remains WAY above my pay grade.

I grew up in the PA coal regions (Schuykill County). This is the only Euclid I'm familiar with.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EmeXTYJH5bsMs58F8 

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

My wife says all these ancient science and math geniuses were taught by the Aliens or a DNA infusion that allowed for leaps of insight.

Aliens are responsible for lots of stuff. Including this "Bigfoot/Yeti/Sasquatch" hoax they've been carrying on for the past few centuries.

The greatest threat to mankind is the human-alien hybrid. Look up old Art Bell shows on Youtube.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think it was God! Beautiful aren’t they? That’s a couple streets away from me.

Thanks.  Kinda thought so, His pinxit isn't always obvious, but it is always there.  Plus it is hard to mistake His work.

17 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I grew up in the PA coal regions (Schuykill County). This is the only Euclid I'm familiar with.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EmeXTYJH5bsMs58F8 

That's what I was talking about. :D

55 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I already know'd about that Gee-O-Nomitree stuff. 

Thanks to male order edjucation, less than too yeers ugo, i culd not spel 'enjineer'... now i are won.

:D

6 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Odd that every tree is in full color, indicating fall, yet not one single leaf in any yard, sidewalk, or street.

image.png.b910719c70f8fb975402f146abdcf1f9.png

Lots of leaves on the ground and in the gutters.  The photograph is somewhat overexposed so they kind of wash out but look to the blue circles for some examples.  Leaves under almost every tree.

Archived