SASS Wire Forum

Talk About Fusion Cuisine!

Subdeacon Joe

My wife was looking for some new vegetarian dishes for us to try.  This one made our heads hurt.  Eritrean/Polish fusion.  Once we got past that odd mash up it sounded pretty good.  Haven't made it yet, but we know what perogi dough tastes like, we are fond of Misir Wot, so why not stuff dough with it?
Enjoy:

Vegan Misir Wot Pierogi

Ingredients

12 ounces russet potatoes (1 large or 2 small)

1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed

3 tablespoons berbere spice mix (see Cook's Note)

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 tablespoon onion powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

Salt

Vegetable oil, as needed

Instant potato flakes, as needed

All-purpose flour, for dusting

Vegan Pierogi Dough, recipe follows

Caramelized onions and sour cream, for serving

Vegan Pierogi Dough:

3 1/2 tablespoons whole flax seeds

3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon instant mashed potatoes

6 cups all-purpose flour

6 tablespoons warm water

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Place the potatoes in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 mins. Drain.

Meanwhile, bring the lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in a pot. Cook until the lentils are tender but not disintegrating, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.

Place the potatoes in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until mashed with no lumps. Add the berbere, tomato paste, onion powder, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Continue to mix until combined.

Check the dough for consistency; it should be moist and pliable but not wet. To test, roll a bit of dough between your palms: If it crumbles, add some vegetable oil until it holds together. If it's sticky and clings to your hands, add instant potato flakes until it holds together.

Finally, taste for salt. The filling should be slightly saltier than you prefer so that the flavor stands up to the dough.

To assemble the pierogi: On a well-floured surface, roll out a ball of Vegan Pierogi Dough the size of a large orange into a rectangle about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out 3-inch rounds of dough (a pint glass will do).

Place 2 tablespoons of filling into the center of each round and fold the rounds in half. Take care to make sure all the air pockets are pressed out of the pierogi. Crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers.

Boil the pierogi for 3 minutes, then brown in a skillet. Serve with caramelized onions and sour cream.

Vegan Pierogi Dough:

Add the flax seeds and 2 cups water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. (Keep an eye on the pan: Once the mixture starts boiling, it will foam up and boil over quickly!) As soon it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Strain the resulting gel through a nut-milk bag or fine-mesh sieve. Discard the seeds and refrigerate the gel until cool.

Mix the instant mashed potatoes with 1/2 cup water and let stand 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the flour, water, baking powder, salt, 1 cup flax gel and 3/4 cup of the instant potatoes to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix on low speed until the dough is smooth, elastic and slightly tacky, about 8 minutes. Turn the dough out into a bowl and cover with a clean, damp kitchen towel. Let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

That is the recipe as it came, other than formatting, from Food Network, a Diners, DriveIns, and Dives episode.
If you use the "sour cream for serving" it is no longer vegan.  Someone wasn't paying attention.  There are some vegan "sour cream" substitutes out there.

Lools interesting. Unfortunately potatoes are a no no for Carol's kidney disease diet. Maybe cauliflower as a replacement?

I’d try that recipe. Finely ground or blended cauliflower would probably be a good potato substitute. 

My wife and I are not vegetarian by any stretch, but she uses spices and creative techniques to make outstanding meatless dishes. 

22 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Lools interesting. Unfortunately potatoes are a no no for Carol's kidney disease diet. Maybe cauliflower as a replacement?

Should work - any cauliflower "mash."  In the places it calls for potato flakes, rice flour or some such to thicken it. 

This one could also work as a filling, cut the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces to substitute for potato:

Gomen Alicha

Ingredients:

2 cups diced onion

1/2 cup vegetable oil

5 carrots, cut in buttons

5 medium potatoes, cut into cubes

1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

4 large sprigs fresh rosemary

2 teaspoons fenugreek

2 teaspoons turmeric

2 heads cabbage, chopped

8 cloves garlic

Salt

Directions

Brown the onions slowly in a pot with the vegetable oil. Add the carrots, potatoes and tomato sauce; mix thoroughly. Mix in the rosemary, fenugreek and turmeric and cook over low heat until the carrots and potatoes are fork tender.

In a separate pot, boil the cabbage until crisp-tender (not so long that it gets limp!). Drain.

Add the cabbage to the sauce and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally but not too vigorously--you don't want the vegetables to break up.

51 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

You lost me at "flakes" and "instant" for this particular recipe, but the idea is interesting.

I would like more info on the Berbere spice mix (cook's note not included).

The instant potatoes are just used as a thickener. Use potato flour or rice flour instead.  Although what are potato flakes but potato flour made into a paste, rolled out really thin and dried?  And a lot cheaper than potato flour?

The cooks note just said that the filling might be too spicy for some.  If you want it milder use less of the berbere.

Here is one way Marcus Samuelsson makes his berbere.  There are also several good commercial blends.  We like the one from Savory Spice Shop.

Marcus Samuelsson's Berbere Spice

Recipe adapted from Marcus Samuelsson, Red Rooster, New York, NY

Yield: ¾ cup

Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus cooling time

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes, plus cooling time

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons coriander seeds

1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds

½ teaspoon black peppercorns

6 cardamom pods

4 garlic cloves

3 allspice berries

½ cup dried onion flakes

5 chiles de árbol, stemmed and seeded

3 tablespoons paprika

2 teaspoons kosher salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground ginger

½ teaspoon grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small skillet, combine the coriander, fenugreek, black peppercorns, cardamom, garlic and allspice over medium heat. Swirling the skillet, toast until fragrant, 4 minutes.

2. Remove from the heat and allow the seeds to fully cool, then place in a spice grinder or mortar with the dried onion flakes and chiles de árbol, and grind to a fine powder.

3. Transfer the powder to a bowl and whisk in the remaining ingredients until fully incorporated. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The instant potatoes are just used as a thickener. Use potato flour or rice flour instead.  Although what are potato flakes but potato flour made into a paste, rolled out really thin and dried?  And a lot cheaper than potato flour?

Marcus Samuelsson's Berbere Spice

Potato flakes around here contain a lot more ingredients than just the potato flour and additions to aid machinability, I'm partial to short (preferably individual) ingredient lists when cooking. As an example, nothing I cook includes a can of Campbell's soup. Ever. Consider it personal preference, with no judgement against those who choose otherwise.

For many families, it would not be Thanksgiving without that Campbells Mushroom and canned green bean casserole topped with those canned fried onions. Honestly, I tried doing it with sautéed mushrooms, first founded in a roux, built into a bechemel, advanced into a mornay, using fresh sautéed green beans cooked tender-crisp, and caramelized onions toasted... and my version sucked.

The spice mix looks interesting! My first sense is it looks "Christmasy" but looking closer, I think there is an interesting interplay of flavors that might surprise in a different way.

Bookmarking this thread.

31 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Potato flakes around here contain a lot more ingredients than just the potato flour and additions to aid machinability,

There are a few brands that are just dehydrated potatoes - Bob's Red Mill comes to mind.  But, in essence, they all come down to potatoes that have been rolled out and dehydrated.  From my point of view the tiny part of 1% of stuff added to aid in the process aren't worth worrying about.  But that is my personal opinion. 

For many families, it would not be Thanksgiving without that Campbells Mushroom and canned green bean casserole topped with those canned fried onions. Honestly, I tried doing it with sautéed mushrooms, first founded in a roux, built into a bechemel, advanced into a mornay, using fresh sautéed green beans cooked tender-crisp, and caramelized onions toasted... and my version sucked

Neither my wife nor I can stand those gawdawful things.  I'm surprised that your version "sucked."  It sounds really good.  For green beans we saute' them with pearl onions in a little bacon grease and add the bacon crumbles.  

Here is the Savory Spice Shop blurb about theirs.

Our Berbere isn’t quite as complex as traditional Ethiopian blends, but even in its simplicity it has excellent flavor and plenty of heat. Traditionally it’s used to flavor stews of meat (known as wats or we’ts), vegetables, and lentils.

If you like food spicy hot, try on grilled chicken, duck, and beef. Use in place of curry or sprinkle on veggies and tofu.

For Berbere fried chicken, mix 1 to 2 Tbsp. seasoning to 1 cup flour. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk, roll in the seasoned flour, and deep fry.

For Berbere Marinade, combine 2 Tbsp. seasoning with 1 cup olive oil and 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice in a blender and puree to a paste. Spread onto meat of choice and marinate overnight.

Ingredients

Hungarian sweet paprika, cayenne, roasted garlic, salt, allspice, ginger, cardamom

Sorry guys, but as close as I am goin to get is the meat I eat is vegan.        GW

8 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Sorry guys, but as close as I am goin to get is the meat I eat is vegan.        GW

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

you lost me right here - "...Vegan Pierogi Dough:...." 

How about telling us exactly what is objectionable about this dish?  Anything in it that you don't like?  Too spicy for you? 
OK, I get that it has a few things that impart more flavor than salt and pepper, and maybe that scares you.  Potatoes, legumes (I bet you could put in white beans or pintos instead of lentils and it would come out fine), what amounts to chili powder, tomato paste, onion powder, garlic powder. Then wrap it in what amounts to eggless pasta (spring roll wrappers?).  Any problem with any of that?  

I don't quite understand the "Well, it says VEGAN!!!! so it can't be good!!" attitude.  

Archived