SASS Wire Forum

Reloading shortage concerns valid???

Fill Yer Hand

Any CAS is better than no CAS, and as Snakebite said I think we have to respect the decisions of club officers.  With that in mind those type decisions aren't likely to influence my match attendance at local matches.  I could potentially decide not to attend matches that are further away if round counts or stages are too drastically reduced, but that would not be meant as a criticism of what those clubs are doing, it would simply be me deciding if I'm willing to drive that far for that quantity of shooting. 

I agree with folks that prefer to NOT reduce the round count. I don't know what is best for everyone, but given a choice I would prefer to have a full match if I am going to make the effort to show up. I'm one of those that can continue to load for both myself and my wife and actually shoot all we want because I was prepared for this. My suggestions of possible ways to stretch things out didn't include Watering down the Stew. I just want to do WHATEVER is necessary to get us all over the hump without the game loosing too much air. 

July, no offense taken!  Shooter feedback often results in better matches.  Your opinion matters, and you are not alone in that opinion.  As one shooter put it: "Hell, at my age I don't buy green bananas...and I don't want any ammo left for the estate sale!"

ill shoot what i have , load what i can in these times and would love to shoot it with 22s if thats what it takes to continue shooting , i have a lot of options and that one i have a lot of ammo for , 

hoping to start into 38s this year but i can wait another year if needed , i got plenty to do in the meantime waiting out the market stabilizations , 

I have enough reloading supplies to shoot for years.  Everything is locked down, so there are no matches anyway, but as long as I have a supply of scrap lead, I could probably shoot until my guns fall apart.  If you don't have way more primers than you can ever use on hand, wait until this shortage is over and stock up.  There is no reason your supply of pistol primers in the size you use most should ever drop below 5k.  Ideally all of us should have 2 years of powder and primers on the shelf at least.  Powder is easier in that if you can't get what you want, you can usually get something that will work.  But primer manufacturing capacity is limited, not easily expanded, and the bare shelves we are seeing now will probably persist for at least two years.  5k primers might not be enough to last two years for some of us who shoot a lot, but even if you have to cut back your shooting a bit due to component shortages, getting to shoot 5k rounds over a two year period isn't so bad even if you would regularly shoot more.

9 hours ago, John Boy said:

Here’s the company that controls  the backlog and forecast it’s not going to get better ... https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/vista-outdoors-announces-1-year-1-billion-ammunition-backlog/ 

With guns and ammunition markets being more influenced by emotions and politics than other products, the following parallel may only partially apply.

Back in the 1970s there was a huge shortage of industrial bearings.  Items that used to have a 4 to 6 week leadtime suddenly were short everywhere, so people began to order more and farther out into the future to be sure they had some on order.  This influx of order backlog caused leadtimes to go even farther out, so even more people put more on order.  Leadtimes eventually reached almost two years.

When the manufacturers of bearings finally started shipping orders, customers no longer needed all their outstanding purchase orders and began cancelling them, and leadtimes dropped, prices dropped, and inventories grew.

So just because the article above says they have a year long backlog of orders, that doesn't mean we won't be able to buy any until 2022.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula had Federal Small Pistol and CCI Small Rifle primers in stock last night... for a few minutes anyway. 1000 per customer per day, so I bought 1000 of the F100's.

Archived