SASS Wire Forum

Reloading shortage concerns valid???

Fill Yer Hand

With the covid-19 scare and now I'm sure with the political turmoil guns and reloading supplies may never recover to the availability they once were. Cowboy shooting takes a lot of ammunition and if primers and powders can't be had for extended periods of time what's to be done? Use up your supply shooting and hope for the best or limit practice and match participation in hopes one day they be available once again? 

9 minutes ago, Kid Rodelo said:

With the covid-19 scare and now I'm sure with the political turmoil guns and reloading supplies may never recover to the availability they once were. Cowboy shooting takes a lot of ammunition and if primers and powders can't be had for extended periods of time what's to be done? Use up your supply shooting and hope for the best or limit practice and match participation in hopes one day they be available once again? 

Since my practice is already limited to zero that won't help.  I think my wife and I can continue with current stock for maybe a year to a year and a half.  We'll continue shooting as we always have, keep our eyes open for primers, and hope things improve before 2022.

There was a three page thread on this topic recently.  My wife and I will practice with .22s today.  Learn to keep a generous inventory of reloading supplies.  This is not first time in recent history that reloading supplies have disappeared.  My plan is to practice with .22s and keep shooting like there is no shortage expecting supplies will return before I run out.  

I ran across 5000 Federal Magnum Small pistol primers at Sportsman Warehouse on Thursday as I was paying they had boxes behind the counter saved for the employees. Maybe things are getting better

I'd venture that if you did not have 2 years of SASS component supplies in stock when Covid and racial equality demands started (again), you are going to be short and have to wait for either loaded ammo or components to re-appear.   My match attendance has tapered off for several reasons, but limited supplies in the pipeline are just a smaller one of those concerns.

Good luck, GJ

I’ve been limited on shooting this year due to Matches cancelled due to Covid and then hip replacement surgery. Once the doctor releases me to shoot I’ll put back enough for EOT next year, then shoot until I run out and hope supplies become available before I run out. 

Randy

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I'd venture that if you did not have 2 years of SASS component supplies in stock when Covid and racial equality demands started (again), you are going to be short and have to wait for either loaded ammo or components to re-appear.   My match attendance has tapered off for several reasons, but limited supplies in the pipeline are just a smaller one of those concerns.

Good luck, GJ

as long as i shoot my 45s im good for at least five years , 

if i want to shoot my new this year 38s not so much - got a couple matches worth then o need primes , but i did not expect things to play out this way - never thought id consider a new caliber this late in life , not for this game at least , hope i dont find any 32 cal guns 

Shooting at current rate, we can go for about two years. After that, we'd have to change category and caliber then go another year or two.

if you want to make your primers last longer, shoot frontiersman for a bit, at least where I am you can still find caps and Black,  I've pretty much put all my centerfire practice on hold and plan to shoot BP exclusively for recreation etc for the time being.  I also don't burn through caps as fast as I can burn through primers for some reason...

I shot a monthly last weekend that had stages written in a way to conserve ammo.  Only 5 rifle rounds, and most stages were only 2 shotgun rounds.  While I understand the push for this sort of ammo frugal match, and if that's what the majority of shooters want so be it, but I personally do not plan on shooting another match like that.  I have a 4 hr round trip drive and to show up and shoot only half a box of ammo just doesn't make the drive worth it.  I personally would rather shoot five normal matches than ten half matches, quality over quantity for me. 

19 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Dillon has a 12 week backlog for shipping most of their reloading presses.  It sounds like lots of people are getting into reloading.  This will only compound our component problems.

I don't think it's necessarily more people reloading (although it could be) I think the Covid 19 thing has all the whole supply chain messed up. Dillon and other reloading companies are probably having trouble getting the raw materials to make the presses. 

Wolff springs are on back order now for 6 weeks! That's never happened before and they say it's due to the Covid! 

I was in a local gun store last week and they had lots of shotgun primers.  Maybe 50K mix of Winchester, Remington and ???.  Unfortunately not a single rifle or pistol primer on the shelves.  I'm ok on shotgun and small pistol primers, but I think I'm down to a little over 1000 large pistol primers.  Prices did not seem artificially inflated.

If I could find a sleeve of large pistol primers at a reasonable price I'd buy them.  Otherwise I think I can eek it out for a couple years.  Longer if I go back to a previous caliber and use up already loaded ammo.

I agree with those that would prefer to shoot a full match instead of an ammo conserving match.  I come for the fun and I'm optimistic that I'll be able to rebuild supplies before I completely run out.

Angus

3 hours ago, July Smith said:

I shot a monthly last weekend that had stages written in a way to conserve ammo.  Only 5 rifle rounds, and most stages were only 2 shotgun rounds.  While I understand the push for this sort of ammo frugal match, and if that's what the majority of shooters want so be it, but I personally do not plan on shooting another match like that.  I have a 4 hr round trip drive and to show up and shoot only half a box of ammo just doesn't make the drive worth it.  I personally would rather shoot five normal matches than ten half matches, quality over quantity for me. 

Curious....was match fee reduced to off set your 4 hour trip?  

Large shoots such as Winter Range will suffer from many shooters just not sure of "political unrest" (especially the sway in AZ to blue) and the shortage of ammo/components  With lack of entry fees I'm sure there is a crunch in prize/trophy purchases.

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Curious....was match fee reduced to off set your 4 hour trip? 

No, nor would I expect that.  SASS Clubs are struggling as is.  I do not expect clubs to reduce fees for those with a longer drive.

6 minutes ago, July Smith said:

No, nor would I expect that.  SASS Clubs are struggling as is.  I do not expect clubs to reduce fees for those with a longer drive.

Sorry, did not mean to imply discount for those who travel far.  Just curious if fees were the same.  Did not expect.  It is all trying times for sure.

The shortage will be detrimental on most shooting sports. Long range rifle and shotgun may not be affected. Blue states may be seen as "no go" zones just to make a statement. Although Nevada and AZ are considered shooter friendly many shooters won't go there, just like California. I'm good for many years, could be shooting on real small posse's for the foreseeable future. 

I have enough to get the wife and myself into next spring shooting the frequency we do now.   If we run out then I guess we’ll just spend more time fishing and will read about matches on the wire. 

Maybe use more shotgun shooting as ammo is more plentiful and less expensive at this point in time.

14 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

If 'ammo conservation' became a match concern, I'd rather drop from six stages to five instead of shooting watered down stages.  YMMV

This ^^^^^^^^B)

I've noticed lots of sales for reloading equipment from Natchez, Midway, Midsouth, Cabela's, Sportsman's, etc. Too bad one cannot utilize the new press without primers and powder. 

On 11/9/2020 at 8:33 AM, July Smith said:

July, your concerns are duly noted, and will be presented at the Match "post mortem."  The November match you spoke of took place on a compact range facility with just five bays/stages.  Things get crowded with more than three posses .  The "Local Authorities" issued COVID policies limiting "outdoor adult recreational sporting events" (we took that to mean posses) to no more than ten people who must wear masks and observe social distancing.  (That, unfortunately, went out the window shortly after the first hammer dropped.)  The Stages and round counts are published on-line prior to the match.  Contact TG Long John Beard at lngjhnbeard@gmail.com to get on the e-mail list.  Members wrote they could not find ammo.  We located some CAS .38 SPL.  No takers.  Others appreciated the reduced round count.  Keep in mind the volunteers who work their butts off keeping this entirely optional sport alive in these trying times...which means trying new things.

Beans Said:

"Keep in mind the volunteers who work their butts off keeping this entirely optional sport alive in these trying times...which means trying new things".

This is a profound statement that everyone needs to take a hard look at. With the Covid restrictions and our aging membership, now the ammo/components shortage, every club that I know of is suffering. We offer both Mask and Mask optional posses at our club but still get a small turnout. Club officers are trying just about any and everything to get the spark going and keep things alive and hoping that all of this passes. The fact is, the rank and file of membership seems to be ready and willing to just let it die rather than come out and support things. What use to be a solid core of regular shooters has just dried up leaving a few hard core enthusiast. If the members don't get off their butts, stop with all the excuses and start supporting their local clubs this wonderful Fantasy of ours will be gone this time next year. No club can continue to pay the bills and set up matches for so few. If there was ever a time to rise to the occasion then now is that time. No one wants anyone to be flippant about their safety but taking the preclusions of keeping a little space, wear a mask when not actually shooting, using a hand sanitizer and selecting the "Mask" posse will give you plenty of open air protection and should allow any reasonable person to continue to play this game. Doing so will not only give you the enjoyment of the game but help us all get over the 'Hump". Those of you that do not subscribe to the recommended procedure's or just don't buy into any of it, that's just fine.... build your own posse and continue to play the game. Neither side in this issue should be pointing fingers at the other. Respect each other's rights, stay out of each other's face and keep to your own group, but come out and PLAY THE GAME! 

Snakebite  

11 hours ago, Beans Ahgin said:

July, your concerns are duly noted, and will be presented at the Match "post mortem."  The November match you spoke of took place on a compact range facility with just five bays/stages.  Things get crowded with more than three posses .  The "Local Authorities" issued COVID policies limiting "outdoor adult recreational sporting events" (we took that to mean posses) to no more than ten people who must wear masks and observe social distancing.  (That, unfortunately, went out the window shortly after the first hammer dropped.)  The Stages and round counts are published on-line prior to the match.  Contact TG Long John Beard at lngjhnbeard@gmail.com to get on the e-mail list.  Members wrote they could not find ammo.  We located some CAS .38 SPL.  No takers.  Others appreciated the reduced round count.  Keep in mind the volunteers who work their butts off keeping this entirely optional sport alive in these trying times...which means trying new things.

Beans,

First of all my sincere apologies if my Internet words have insulted or offended you or any of my other pards at the STX Pistolaros.  Please do not change anything about what your club does because of what I say or think, I am not a member and only average one or two monthlies per year there.  Listen to what the members want and pay no heed to one anomaly.  They are simply my personal opinions, and I fear my first comment is being taken out of context.  My previous choice of words/expression “quality over quantity” was a poor one and in no way intended to insult or insinuate that the STX Pistolaros November monthly match was subpar or anything along those lines.  Again, if my Internet words have insulted you or any other club member please accept my sincerest apologies.

My comment was directed at the OP who was looking for ideas on what to do in the current ammo/component drought.  A common suggestion for many clubs has been to simply reduce the number of stages and or the number of rounds need to complete a match.  Personally, I reload for myself and two other shooters and have a fourth friend interested in joining.  I have enough components on hand to keep the 3-4 of us shooting for about another 4-6 matches that require the standard 100rounds +/- of rifle/pistol ammo and a box of shotgun sells.  I understand the current shortages, and also understand that if the necessary number of rounds was simply halved my current stock of components could be stretched to almost a year’s worth of shooting.   I personally (me, myself, and I alone) would rather burn through my current stock of SASS related components shooting in it up in 4-6 regular style matches rather than 8-12 reduced round count matches.  That is just my personal opinion and suggestion to the OP looking for ideas that maybe reduced round count matches is not the solution to the current shortage. 

On 11/9/2020 at 8:33 AM, July Smith said:

I’m with you 100%. I’ve been to matches where they limit the shooting due to ammo shortage. If I go to a match, I go to shoot! If I run out of ammo then I won’t go. I have 30K primers on hand. Enough for 500/month for 5 years. 

July, we expect to see you at Texas Riviera Pistoleros matches soon! 

Went by LGS yesterday so I stopped in out of curiosity. Still had powder just not huge selection with mostly jugs in stock. A few primers on shelf with limit of 500 total per person per day. I picked up 500 Winchester LP. Large and small rifle in stock but no small pistol. Gun racks were pretty full with black guns and shotguns. Plenty of shotgun shells and shotshell loading supplies. No price gouging. 

I have the ammo I need for the 2021 TN State Championship all loaded, stored, and marked "DO NOT USE BEFORE WARTRACE RECKONING"

I have enough other reloading supplies to shoot roughly 18 local matches. I normally have a couple years' supply on hand, but I used a lot fewer rounds before I started SASS shooting mid summer 2020.  By then the shortages were already in full swing.

Of the suggestions mentioned by others, I too favor the 5 stage local matches.  One of the clubs I go to shoots 5 stages, one shoots 6.

Archived