SASS Wire Forum

.45 ACP ammo

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Tell me about Sellier and Bellot (SP on both?)

I just scored some FMJ ball rounds at a very good price.  They all have red primers, but appear to be factory loads.  I figured if nothing else I could use it for practice, but I'd like some input.

S&B is really good ammo!!  My Paras LOVE it!!

Sellier and Bellot is quality ammo, the only issue I have had is that the primer pockets are just a fraction smaller then American primers and the primers don't always reload well.

The red primer is a red seal around the primer to waterproof it. Both 45 ball and 9 mm ball have crimped primer pockets, so I routinely swage them, and have had no trouble seating new primers. I did notice this "tight pocket" thing with S&B 38 Special, so I swage them the first time also.

My experience with S&B is limited to 45 ball, 9mm ball, 40 ball, 380 ball, and 38 Special - RNL and WCs. I have never had one not go off. I have never had one underpowered. And accuracy is all I could desire.

In other words - dat be good stuff. :)

Not all S&B ammo has staked or crimped primers. It is good ammo. Their 9mm is loaded a bit hotter than American ammunition. 

25 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, so I got good jacketed ball ammo.  What's it worth per box...an estimate will do.

Before the idiocy I am not sure as I don’t buy or shoot .45 ACP. Now I would guess it’s worth $50 a box or a buck a round. 

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, so I got good jacketed ball ammo.  What's it worth per box...an estimate will do.

We're selling brass cased 45 ACP for $29.99 per box, to include S&B and Federal.

I don't use much ball ammo except for practice.  My Rock Island 1911 likes Hornady Critical Defense so that's my carry load.  

I found S&B on line for anywhere from $29.95 (plus S&H) up to over $80.00 a box.

I'll keep this S&B.  I got 19 boxes of S&B, 2 boxes of American brand ball, a box of really old UMC,  plus 22 loose rounds of S&B, three Shooting Star Mags...I'll have to see if my pistol likes them.  She's fussy... and a Colt mag that I know she likes.  Are you sitting down?  I gave $200.00 for the lot and got two Makarov mags and a box of 9mm Mak ammo thrown in, all in three 7.62 ammo boxes.

Does the "American brand" ammo come in a transparent plastic box built like an egg crate, with each round sitting in its own little pocket? Head stamped AMERC?

If so, save yourself some heartache and throw it in the garbage?

I suppose you could pull the bullets and re-use them, but AMERC brass is out of spec garbage.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Does the "American brand" ammo come in a transparent plastic box built like an egg crate, with each round sitting in its own little pocket? Head stamped AMERC?

I suppose you could pull the bullets and re-use them, but AMERC brass is out of spec garbage.

^^^^ THIS X 100000000000000000000

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

This stuff is in a standard cardboard box with a label that looks like it was printed on a home computer.  I'll see if it works and not feel any loss if it's no good.  Thanks for the tip.

The UMC ammo looks like it was made yesterday, but the box has seen better days.  Looks like it would be at home in a museum.

Archived