SASS Wire Forum

Trr8 verses redhawk

Trigger Mike

If you wanted a higher capacity revolver would you prefer the S and W TRR8 in 357 or.the ruger redhawk ?  Both hold 8 rounds.

If not , is there another version you'd recommend?  

I figure it never hurts to go the revolver route as they usually pick on magazine fed pistols before anything else. 

After my latest experiences with S&W and their crap QC I would be hard pressed to put $300-$500 more on a gun that might just not be properly assembled. 

I actually wanted a 327 TRR8 in the worst way and then I had problems with my Performance Center model 60 Pro. I had to send the gun back to S&W when I first bought it because it picked up on me. Then later I had to send it back 3 times because the outer barrel turned offsetting the front sight. They finally halfassed fixed it and I sold it. 
They no longer need my money. 

I forgot to mention the last time I got my gun back they sent a falsely shot target and very snottily told me they wouldn’t do any more warranty work on it. Screw them. 

I don't have any use for the modern Smiths with their ugly as hell safety key lock.  I recently did look very closely at a Smith lightweight PD329 44 mag and a Model 69 44 mag. Trigger was excellent on one and terrible on the other, both brand new. They were priced too high; I've read too many other QC complaints about S&W to want to take a chance, I don't trust the safety lock (look up YT videos on these failing...) and I've never had a problem with Ruger, so I'd easily vote for a 7 or 8 shot Ruger .357 revolver. I own a Ruger 7 shot GP100 and it is smooth, accurate and reliable. Around my parts, they are available and affordable. 

Now, a pre-lock older Smith with a pinned barrel is another story. :D

I own one Smith with a lock.  It's a 625 JM 45 ACP revolver, and has been perfect so far.  

That said, I've heard of issues with QC at both Smith and Wesson and Ruger as of late.  Ruger seems to be better about handling these issues than Smith and Wesson.  

If you pick a newer Smith you can remove the lock and fill it with an aftermarket plug. I believe a quick search online will walk you through that.

If it come to us carrying revolvers instead of semis, i think two Ruger 8 shot .357s will be sufficient. (one for each hand...)  One on either hip to balance out the weight, plus suspenders holding muh britches up.

:o

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

One on either hip to balance out the weight, plus suspenders holding muh britches up.

The TRR8 is 35 Oz. The Redhawk is 44 Oz. 

I do still like the TRR8, or the concept of one. I am just mad as hell at S&W right now and I may get over it someday, but it might take a while. 

I also had an issue with the QC of a S&W new manufacture L frame .357.  I sent it back and it was finally repaired after several months and discussions.  Given where it broke it should have never broke.  I have some older N and L frame pistols that are solid.  It was too bad that this new .357 was such a problem (lemon?).  After finally receiving it back I traded it for a GP100.  I have had almost zero problems with the Rugers.

Watcha gonna use it for?? If it is just for fun ... get what you like. 

If you are getting it for ICORE/USPSA or Steel Challenge ... IMHO ... get a S&W 627 ... 

They have plugs for anyone who is embarassed by a safety hole ... :lol: ??!? (picked these plugs up off an ICORE prize table about 15k rounds ago and never  bothered with them ... if you buy a stainless S&W and want them ... I'll mail them to you!!).

The front sight is spring loaded ... (quick change ... push it back and lift it out) ... The crane on the 5 inch 627 is a ball detent.

Carry all your ammo for one match in a CD case. s10.gif.e806f561efaad55badd03130e6894b1c.gif

1575031275_627safety.jpg.4a3fd03890d17aa6f0305adae750bc18.jpg cdclips.jpg.69e9946cc9ccdb394e1f3736da1dc1a2.jpg

57 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Mainly want it for defense in case the alleged winners of the election keep their promise to ban magazine fed guns.

Oh yeah ... then the TRR8 is a much more reasonable weight for carry ... and the screw on/off rails a big plus. 

25 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

the idea of the smith 627 intrigued me so I looked it up and they make one with a short barrel.  I wonder what the recoil on a 2 1/2 inch barrel on the 627 is like.  

I have a 327 Night Guard 8 shot .357. 
The recoil isn’t too bad. You definitely know you pulled the trigger. The fire ball is amazing! :lol:

I mostly shoot .38s out of it. 

I forgot to mention the 327NG has a 2 1/2” barrel. 

Here it is with my Glock 45. These are my favorite handguns. 
97AEBA15-EAB4-42E9-9137-E2EEE8E1DD9F.thumb.jpeg.698192e52daf254e32903d63ffe0bd3e.jpeg

I've had both. Still have the trr8. I carry it sometimes. I use it competitively. I play with it. I sometimes stay up late and ...nevermind. can't go wrong with the trr8. For competition I replaced the hammer with a TK industries double action only hammer. I've worked it over a bit, and it has a nice double action stack up that breaks very crisp. 

I am currently coveting a Smith 357 vcomp. 

Archived