SASS Wire Forum

SIG P320: a story worth sharing

Widder, SASS #59054

I bought a new SIG P320 about 5+ years ago.   Never experienced any problems except it was

way more accurate than I could shoot it.     It was in .357 SIG caliber.

A couple years back, SIG adhered to a voluntary return to upgrade the P320 trigger safety, or atleast that

was my understanding of the situation.

Last summer, SIG issued a letter to P320 owners about a law suit concerning OOB problems.   It seems that

an owner (or owners) of the P320 had experienced some OOB discharges and issued a suit against SIG.   SIG never

admitted to the OOB problems but they settled out of court, of which they stated in their letter (email).

About 2 weeks after I received their email (letter), I was out shooting my P320 and guess what......   KA-BOOM!

I got an OOB.   An OOB with a cartridge like the .357 SIG ain't no peepsqueek awakening.   

It blew back the slide and locked it open.   It blew out the Extractor, which I never found.

It blew out the magazine and actually separated it on the ground in 4 parts: follower, spring, base plate and mag body.

It split the right side of the grip in atleast 2 areas.

AND, the brass casing was stuck half way in the chamber and the complete rim area was blown off..... completely off.

It didn't damage me or my hand other than a good sting in my hand.

I notified SIG immediately.  This was last summer/fall.

Two weeks ago, they finally notified me back and ask me to send the pistol.

I shipped it 1 week ago.  Today, they sent me an email stating it had been repaired and is in the mail coming back to me.

I should get it early in the week.

I'm eager to see if they were able to replace the parts or if they are sending me a new pistol.    I hope its repaired because

its one of my favorite pistols.....its actually my #1 carry pistol.

..........Widder

I have heard that some companies (Ruger comes to mind), when your gun is unrepairable so they send you a new gun, they totally destroy your old one, and they put your old one's serial number on your new frame. This, supposedly, makes it the same gun, legally. So they just send it back to you.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have heard that some companies (Ruger comes to mind), when your gun is unrepairable so they send you a new gun, they totally destroy your old one, and they put your old one's serial number on your new frame. This, supposedly, makes it the same gun, legally. So they just send it back to you.

I've heard the same thing.   And I think Henry Repeating Arms does the same with their rifles.

..........Widder

I bought a new Sig Super Target air pistol for 10 meter matches. Shot it perhaps 500 pellets and the pivot pin that you cock the barrel with started walking loose, jamming the gun. Called SIG, they emailed me a shipping label, off it went to the mother ship in NH. A week later they sent me a new one. Excellent service, plus they answer their phones right away. Try contacting Taurus; usually takes several 1/2 hour waits listening to horrible music. 

I believe if you check, the inner chassis of the P320 is the serialized portion. So long as it was intact, the grip frame, barrel and everything else could be changed out, hence “modular.”

DOC,

I think you are 100% correct.     The repair person probably just had to ensure that inner chassis had not been damaged from the

OOB, replace needed parts, and ship back to its proud daddy.

I hope they can figure out the cause of the OOB situation.   When something like that happens, especially with the power of the

357 sig cartridge, it ain't pleasant and can be intimidating.   Other than a .22 rimfire, the .357 Sig is the lightest powered cartridge

that I shoot.   I just hope my 10mm and 460 Rowland never experiences an OOB.

Wanna know a little secret:   The 357 Sig OOB ain't much different than the 460 Rowland being fired in battery..... ;).

..........Widder

15 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Don’t you need a a new NICS check if it’s a new gun?

Things may have changed since, but in 2001, I had to sent a Ruger SRH back because it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn - from the inside! A NEW revolver with a different s/n was send directly to my home via FedEx.

In 2004, I returned a S&W .500 mag because it locked up on the 3rd round. It couldn't be cocked, unlocked, or the cylinder opened. S&W had a rep DRIVE from SLC to my home in Montana the next afternoon to take possession of the still loaded revolver. About two weeks later, a new X-frame with a different s/n was shipped directly to my doorstep via FedEx. Herb Belin, project manager at S&W, claimed it was the only factory documented failure of the new lock system to date.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

DOC,

I think you are 100% correct.     The repair person probably just had to ensure that inner chassis had not been damaged from the

OOB, replace needed parts, and ship back to its proud daddy.

I hope they can figure out the cause of the OOB situation.   When something like that happens, especially with the power of the

357 sig cartridge, it ain't pleasant and can be intimidating.   Other than a .22 rimfire, the .357 Sig is the lightest powered cartridge

that I shoot.   I just hope my 10mm and 460 Rowland never experiences an OOB.

Wanna know a little secret:   The 357 Sig OOB ain't much different than the 460 Rowland being fired in battery..... ;).

..........Widder

The upgrade, which will prevent the OOB discharges that the earlier versions of the 320, requires new parts including trigger, and internals, sear and some work to the slide.  Those parts, although they are part of the internal modular system can be replaced without the requirement of new serial number.  SIG has a video on their website.  Your pistol will have required more work to replace damaged parts. 

I have never had personal experience with this problem. But I've read many discussions and from those it sounds like companies don't routinely put the same serial number on a new gun to replace the old one. The Sig could be different with the serialed chassis being a separate part of the frame assuming the chassis is not replaced. I think the laws are pretty tight on reissuing a serial number onto another gun. 

Archived