SASS Wire Forum

Descriptions of Land

Subdeacon Joe

Simple to follow directions: https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/uploads/IB2013-057_att1.pdf  

Example No. 1 – Body (See figure 3) COMMENCING at the corner of sections 15, 16, 21, and 22, marked with a 3 inch diameter iron pipe with cap marked R.L.S. 910, identical with the southeast corner described in Document No. 1314, filed March 01, 1923, the southwest corner described in Document No. 1516, filed April 01, 1920, and the northwest corner described in Document No. 1718, filed May 03, 1918, all in the official records of Sherburne County, Minnesota; Thence, South 00°16’00” West, on the line between sections 21 and 22, identical with the west line of the aforesaid parcel described in Document 1718, a distance of 867.90 feet to the center line of a 66 foot wide road parcel described in Document No. 652, filed February 01, 1906, marked with a 1/2 inch diameter iron pipe and the POINT OF BEGINNING of the herein described parcel; Thence, South 00°16’00” West, continuing on the section line, a distance of 450.78 feet to the north 1/16 section corner of sections 21 and 22, marked with a 3 inch diameter iron pipe with cap marked R.L.S. 1516, identical with the southwest corner described in aforesaid Document No. 1718, the northwest corner described in Document No. 1920, filed June 06, 1913, and the northeast corner described in document No. 2122, filed July 04, 1921, all in the official records of Sherburne County, Minnesota; Thence, South 89°54’41” West, on the east and west center line of the northeast 1/4 of section 21, identical with the north line described in aforesaid Document No. 2122, a distance of 1325.26 feet to the northeast 1/16 section corner of section 21, marked with a 3 inch iron pipe with cap marked R.L.S. 1516, identical with the northwest corner described in aforesaid Document No. 2122, the northeast corner described in Document No. 2324, filed September 12, 1930, and the southwest corner described in Document No. 2526, filed November 11, 1934, all in the official records of Sherburne County, Minnesota; Thence, North 00°12’00” East, on the north and south center line of the northeast 1/4 of section 21, identical with the east line described in said Document No. 2526, a distance of 823.02 feet to the center line of the aforesaid 66 foot wide road parcel described in Document No. 652, marked with a 1/2 inch diameter iron pipe; Thence, along the center line of said road parcel and crossing a portion of the aforesaid described parcel in Document No. 4311, the following four (4) courses and distances: 1. South 78°48’00” East, a distance of 462.00 feet to a 1/2 inch diameter iron pipe for a point of curvature to the right, concave southwesterly, 31 2. With said curve through a central angle of 42°57’00”, having a radius of 419.43 feet, an arc distance of 314.42 feet to a 1/2 inch diameter iron pipe, 3. South 35°51’00” East, a distance of 327.16 feet to a 1/2 inch diameter iron pipe, 4. North 70°20’02” East, a distance of 447.26 feet to a 1/2 inch diameter iron pipe being the POINT OF BEGINNING, containing 17.64 acres of land.

52 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Diagram that sentence.

Actually, that's a relatively modern description.  Try the older descriptions from a 1700's deed, using terms like "rod" and "chain" as units of measurement, and referencing "the end of Farmer Jones' stone wall" and "the center of the Thompson's well" as starting points for measurement.  Even today in New England, unless you are dealing with the more modern (and uncommon) system of registered land, land descriptions are unchanged over centuries, to guarantee that what you are buying is the same as what your seller bought and owned.  Stand in the middle of an open field, and try to figure out how you could describe the outline of an irregular shaped lot, without fixed points of reference.

LL

That's like trying to read the boundaries of one of California's 44 deer hunting zones as described in the regs.  :(  

8 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That's like trying to read the boundaries of one of California's 44 deer hunting zones as described in the regs.  :(  

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing. 

27 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Actually, that's a relatively modern description.  Try the older descriptions from a 1700's deed, using terms like "rod" and "chain" as units of measurement, and referencing "the end of Farmer Jones' stone wall" and "the center of the Thompson's well" as starting points for measurement.  Even today in New England, unless you are dealing with the more modern (and uncommon) system of registered land, land descriptions are unchanged over centuries, to guarantee that what you are buying is the same as what your seller bought and owned.  Stand in the middle of an open field, and try to figure out how you could describe the outline of an irregular shaped lot, without fixed points of reference.

LL

Yep.  Some of the Spanish and Mexican land grants, which I couldn't find this morning, refer to things like "the split rock on the hill (so many whatever the unit of measurement was) from the center of the road"

If you go to the link it does go into the:

Table 1. Conversions used in PLSS surveying. Units of Linear Measure

1 chain = 100 links = 66 feet (U.S. Survey feet) = 4 poles, perches, rods

1 mile = 80 chains = 5,280 feet (U.S. Survey feet)

Units of Area 1 acre = 10 square chains = 43,560 square feet (U.S. Survey feet)

1 square mile = 640 acres

Metric Conversions U.S. Survey Foot 1 meter = 39.37 inches (exact) 1 U.S. Survey foot = 0.3048006096… meter 1 link = 0.2011684023… meter 1 meter = 3.2808333333… U.S. Survey feet

Perhaps ‘diagram’ caused confusion.  I think I could draw a map of the plot described from the writing.  Maybe I should have said ‘parse’ that sentence, like we had to do in high school English class; identifying subject, verb, predicate, adverbs, etc, and arranging each word on a structure like the hangman game.

I’m grateful Miss Tookey, my English teacher, never used surveying documents on her tests.

When I was a surveyor for the Corps of Engineers we would go out to locations looking for USGS locations to start our survey. Sometimes we had to use books from the 1920's when the USGS survey was done for that area. We were at the "Y" location of the dirt road with the large oak tree in the split. Spike marker was to be in the S.W. position of the tree 18" off the ground. Finally found it 7' off the ground at the N.E. section of the tree. Looking at the tree you could tell it had completely twisted 180 degrees. Yep, way out in Kansas and figured a tornado had come through and completely twisted that tree around and over the years the tree grew up. Couldn't believe they even placed the spike there for a location and not buried a brass marker in concrete, in the ground like it should have been done. We ended up going to the next marker 2 miles away which was buried and had to work our way back. 

since i bought my property thirty years ago the rear lot line has altered a bit by one of those meandering rivers - not a lot , but i can see where it is different , erosion from the spring high water and loss of a couple trees on the bank 

Archived