Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

We are looking at a Kawasaki Mule for the club. 

 

Any advice would be appreciated.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now we are using an ATV. It has minimum carrying capacity for hand tools/paint/stuff. It only has one person capability.

 

Looking to carry to same tools/paint/stuff. Driver and one passenger, cases of water, various small stuff.

Size = Has to be able to fit into a pickup bed. Limited storage space when not in use.

We were eyeballing the Mule 4000 because - Water cooled (Its Southern Nevada - Summers = 120 degrees). Size, under $10,000.00 new, 2 passenger, Two cylinder instead of one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

 

 

Given your other parameters, I'd use the pick-up instead......

 

LL

We have a pickup. It is too big to get in and out of the individual bays.

And as soon as you can figure out how to park a pickup in the space of a pickup bed you may be on to something.

We have to park the UTV INSIDE a storage box 28 days a month.

 

 

 

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Mule Diesel. It is the full size one though. Amazing vehicle. Runs SLOW but I am in no hurry.  Considering your size requirements you should look at the John Deere utility vehicles if you are only using it around the range. Much better hauling capacity/size than anything else. No roll cage like a UTV but great equipment. I think they come in gas or diesel. look seriously at them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

We have a pickup. It is too big to get in and out of the individual bays.

And as soon as you can figure out how to park a pickup in the space of a pickup bed you may be on to something.

We have to park the UTV INSIDE a storage box 28 days a month.

 

 

 

The Eaton mini truck fits inside a half ton bed.  The Mule 4000 is too wide for a lot of beds, some of the newer trucks will fit it with an inch of give on either side.  The Mule 4010 weighs a little more but gets you power steering, Hi/Low trans, selectable 4x4, it’ll can be right at $10k depending on your state and dealer.  The power steering is really nice for aging shoulders when you’re backing in and out of stalls.

 

For your described use, a utility cart (golf cart with box) should be a better fit.  They do not meet your parameters because carts typically use an air cooled, single cylinder engine or electric.  If you’re worried about heat, look at what the golf courses use.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ace:  look at the John Deere TS4X2  Perfect for the job you describe and about $7400 new.  Do you need to haul it in the back of a pickup or are you just making that as a general size requirement???

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The Eaton mini truck fits inside a half ton bed.  The Mule 4000 is too wide for a lot of beds, some of the newer trucks will fit it with an inch of give on either side.  The Mule 4010 weighs a little more but gets you power steering, Hi/Low trans, selectable 4x4, it’ll can be right at $10k depending on your state and dealer.  The power steering is really nice for aging shoulders when you’re backing in and out of stalls.

 

For your described use, a utility cart (golf cart with box) should be a better fit.  They do not meet your parameters because carts typically use an air cooled, single cylinder engine or electric.  If you’re worried about heat, look at what the golf courses use.  

The size of the vehicle was to give a reference to how much room we had inside the storage box. We will not be transporting it anywhere unless on a trailer for maintenance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The size of the vehicle was to give a reference to how much room we had inside the storage box. We will not be transporting it anywhere unless on a trailer for maintenance.

 

Ah.  The Mule 4000 is overbuilt for your use which means it will last longer than the club will use it.  Eventually the $600 clutch will need replaced instead of rebuilt.  Otherwise it’ll just need some basic UTV maintenance.  A bed mat is a nice addition to cut down on tool rattle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Get a purpose built trailer to tow behind your current ATV. Will save a lot of money.

WE DON'T HAVE THE ROOM TO STORE A TRAILER AND AN ATV

We can't haul passengers in a trailer.

 

 

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Kawasaki 610. It works great. Pulls a trailer really well, I'm sure it's overloaded most of the time. Although, the range is pretty flat here in Cheyenne.

No, it is not fast, it is comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Starts easily and has not let me down in the 6 years I've owned  it. It will fit in the back of a pick up.

Mine has the bigger tires and roof. I see them for sale used for $5-6k. I also haul firewood and pull my log splitter. Cooper dog loves to ride on the front seat.

It's very easy to operate, the gals like to use it to pick up score shoots at our shooting events. Much better than a pick up or ATV. The 4010 is a bigger machine and has a higher towing capacity, it does not maneuver as easily as the 410. One of the best investments I've ever made, I use my Mule numerous times weekly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Ace:  look at the John Deere TS4X2  Perfect for the job you describe and about $7400 new.  Do you need to haul it in the back of a pickup or are you just making that as a general size requirement???

Interesting option. Except it is air cooled.

 

 

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

WE DON'T HAVE THE ROOM TO STORE A TRAILER AND AN ATV

We can't haul passengers in a trailer.

 

 

Sure you can. You can stack them 3 high, 2 wide, 2 long -- at least a dozen. You might need tie downs. :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2019 Mule SX 4x4 .

We love the toughness of the Mule.

Much more power and usefulness over a golf cart. 

And with the dump box on the back , you can install the jump seat to carry two or three more people. 

 

20190614_184825.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I have a 2019 Mule SX 4x4 .

We love the toughness of the Mule.

Much more power and usefulness over a golf cart. 

And with the dump box on the back , you can install the jump seat to carry two or three more people. 

 

20190614_184825.jpg

I agree the SX can be more useful with it’s lockable rear end, stronger brakes, stiffer frame and suspension system. For the sake of honesty, the Kawasaki FJ400 engine has been used in golf carts since 2008.  So it is the same power as a golf cart.  The Kawasaki SX does not have the transmission speed governor system of the golf carts so it’ll run out to 25mph.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.