SASS Wire Forum

Must Follow The Rules!

Subdeacon Joe

ok , i liked that and did not see it coming , i expected something else , 

if it were me id wait in the lobby while the orderly went back for my wife ...i know whats gonna happen and it aint gonna be pretty , just sayin 

Wheelchair story. I'm 15 and weigh 225, big kid. I go get a root canal and they knock me out. Getting ready to go to the car an assistant comes in with a WC and says hop in I'll take you to the car. She's about 5'4" and 85 lbs. My wise father says you'd better let me do that. No sir we have to do it. Exit onto a 4' wide sidewalk, downhill with building on one side and hedge on the other. Gravity is a cruel thing. We start speeding up, she can't get me stopped. I end up in the hedge. Me I'm fighting this green monster as my dad is extracting me from the wreck. He finished wheeling me to the car.

These rules are for two practical reasons: First, to keep a potentially woozy patient from falling, if they walked out. Second,  the reason that a nurse or orderly has to do it, is mostly for insurance/liability reasons.  I did have my wife in a chair, following a procedure at a hospital.  An orderly wheeled her to the front door, where we were waiting for a taxi to come for us.  But the taxi was not there yet, and the orderly couldn't wait around, so I told him I'd take it from there.  We waited and my wife decided we needed to see what was in the hospital gift shop, so she got up and walked in there! She was just fine...although my credit card suffered some!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

In 2012 I had shoulder surgery done in the Methodist Hospital of Sacramento. (Throwing them under a bus because they deserve to be thrown under a bus)

Anyway, I had the surgery. They kept me overnight then turned me loose on the morning. A nurse came in to the room and tells me they will be coming to get me to take me down to my car soon. My wife leaves to go bring her car to the pick up area. 
I wait 15 minutes and then walk out into the hall. This dippy looking woman in scrubs walks up pushing a wheelchair and says “Are you Mr (gets my name WAY wrong)?” 
I say my name correctly and then tell her “Yes”.

She says “Oh goody, you can walk. Just go downstairs and meet your ride.”

Now here I am with this gawd-awful cast / brace thing on that holds my left arm up in the air. I have a dufflebag and another bag. 
I said “Are you sure?”

She says “Yep! Have a nice day!” Then turns and walks away leaving the wheelchair sitting in the middle of the hall. 
I proceeded to the elevator. Was having a hard time pushing the button. A lady dressed in business attire stepped up and pushed the button for me. When the elevator arrived we got in no then she says “Sir, are you visiting someone?”

I said “No, I am leaving. I just had surgery.”

She got this funny look on her face and said “You have just been released from the hospital?”

”Yes.”

”Did someone come to your room and release you?”

Door opens. We step out. 
“Yes, my doctor released me and the floor nurse released me.”

”Didn’t anyone come to get you with a wheelchair or did you just leave.”

“I waited 15 minutes for the wheelchair. My wife had gone to bring the car around. Some lady came with a wheelchair and saw I could walk and told me to go ahead and leave.”

The lady got red faced and asked me to describe the woman and she asked for my name and room number. 
She then helped me find the exit and get in my wife’s car. 

Later that day I got a very apologetic phone call and was told that the girl that was supposed to take me downstairs was no longer in that position. They demoted her to something else. 

About 0230 last Wednesday I reported to the ER having an AFIB episode.  About two and a half hours later (after three EKG's, an IV, infusions of Metoprolol and potassium) the doc decided I was stable enough to be released.  

"Do you want to pay your co-pay now or online from home?"

"I'll do it when I get home."

"Okay.  You can leave now."

Well, alrighty then!  Got up, got dressed and moseyed on out to the parking lot.  :huh:

A VERY long story made as short as I can. Wife in hospital, doctor misdiagnosed she ends in ICU. That doctor in ICU tells me she would leave the hospital in a body bag. 8 weeks in coma, doctor now says she will never walk out of the hospital. 4 more weeks staff wheels her to front door, she gets out of the wheelchair and walks out of the hospital.

Wow! Horrifying stories. I have my own story.

I've been getting dizzy and falling for a few years now. (Yes, I've been to three doctors and had a plethora of tests. Long story that I will skip.) In July, on a Sunday morning, I walked to the living room, reached up on the cat tower to pet Rita, fell down and went boom. When I was able to get up, I called Hubby in. I had a golf-ball-sized lump on my head. He went to get ice to put on it. The ice hurt, so I gave it back to him. He felt my head and the lump was the size of a tennis ball then. He made me go to the ER.

Hubby went home.

They gave me a CT scan, an EKG, and told me what to do if I had symptoms of a concussion. They told me I could go.  I called Hubby to come get me (30 minute drive). So I walked outside. I was a bit woozy as I'd had no breakfast or lunch and it was after 3:00 pm. Luckily, I didn't fall, sat on a bench, and waited for him. Luckily, I made it home okay.

I thought they were a bit remiss in not giving me a wheelchair ride out. However, after reading the stories here. I guess it is par for the course.

We have to remember that 50% of any profession graduated at the bottom of their class. And 50% graduated at the top of their class. Just because someone is working at a hospital or elsewhere else doesn't mean they are the best person for that position.

My dad has seizures from a head injury from a fall in 83 or 84. The seizures did not come on til a decade after the injury. Some are mild. Some are severe. Last week he had a severe one, bad enough momma called 911. Our community hospital if they can’t fix it with minor treatment, you get sent on somewhere else. They do not admit patients at all not even one night. The hospital in Covington no longer has a neurologist on staff so he gets sent, for some silly reason to the small city of MADISON GA

Hes unresponsive. Cant walk. Cant talk. Moaning and groaning and doesn’t recognize my momma.  arrived at 2AM. They check on him at 6AM. They begin poking and prodding. He’s still unresponsive can’t talk cant stand but physically he’s combative. Doctor was an asshole. Said he’s vitals were fine, he can go home. Yet he’s still in the same condition he arrived. Mommas upset mad  and crying. Nurses didn’t act like they give a rip, went about watching TV. Finally a nurse comes in (shift change or something) says he can’t leave that way. Now you think they’d transport him to another hospital, no, they load him up in mommas car and give her directions to another hospital in Athens. Calls us and I’m thinking, what if he has another seizure on the way.....

ER checks him in. 104 fever. Oxygen dangerously low. Pneumonia in both lungs. They call back the MADISON GA hospital and their response was they couldn’t find anything wrong with him and since they are not affiliated to any other hospital had no access to his records.

Hes on oxygen. Was on feeding tube. Now mushy food. Took 3 days to recognize momma. Has to strapped down every night. Last night had an episode and law got called. Had to strap and sedate him last night. Looking at several weeks in the hospital 

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

About 0230 last Wednesday I reported to the ER having an AFIB episode.  About two and a half hours later (after three EKG's, an IV, infusions of Metoprolol and potassium) the doc decided I was stable enough to be released.  

"Do you want to pay your co-pay now or online from home?"

"I'll do it when I get home."

"Okay.  You can leave now."

Well, alrighty then!  Got up, got dressed and moseyed on out to the parking lot.  :huh:

It always seems they d$&@ around about everything but the money.

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

We have to remember that 50% of any profession graduated at the bottom of their class. And 50% graduated at the top of their class. Just because someone is working at a hospital or elsewhere else doesn't mean they are the best person for that position.

It's probably more like a bell-shaped curve.  But you're right:  Know what they call the guy who finished last in his class at med school?  Doctor.

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

What you all have all been describing is this:

The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence.

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Years ago, I was home in the afternoon, working on something while the tv was on.

Some soap opera was on, and there was a hospital scene, and over the speaker came "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard."

This wasn't a comedy, but I thought it was funny enough to remember it 20 years later.

7 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Years ago, I was home in the afternoon, working on something while the tv was on.

Some soap opera was on, and there was a hospital scene, and over the speaker came "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard."

This wasn't a comedy, but I thought it was funny enough to remember it 20 years later.

44 years ago my wife's OBGYN doctors group was, Dr. Twin, Dr. Triplet, and Dr. Slaughter. Really, I kid you not.

17 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've been getting dizzy and falling for a few years now. (Yes, I've been to three doctors and had a plethora of tests. Long story that I will skip.) In July, on a Sunday morning, I walked to the living room, reached up on the cat tower to pet Rita, fell down and went boom.

Years ago I had a problem with my neck. If I looked up a certain way or at a certain angle to the left I would get dizzy and tingly all over. I would lose my balance and I did fall down. My doctor thought I had an inner ear problem but also suspected I may have a nerve condition at the base of my brain. My Chiropractor was sure it was neck related but regular adjustments didn’t help. The problem diminished over time but never really went away. 
Long story short I had moved and changed Chiropractors. She had me lay down on my back and she did this funny little neck adjustment that literally felt like my entire body stopped operating in low light condition and things went to bright light conditions. It was like my body and my nerves all got a shot of electrical caffeine. 
I have never had that weird sensation since. 
Perhaps you have something similar?

WOW!  Sounds like you had a happy ending.

Archived