SASS Wire Forum

Got 'er done~! (almost...)

Lessee... after three or four years I finally collected enough parts to assemble a "dreaded black rifle."  Mostly.  Almost.  :rolleyes:

Missing:  Roll pin and spring for Ejection Port Cover.  I made the mistake of assuming that ordering an "Ejection Port Cover Assembly" would include said... evidently not; have ordered 'em separately.  Still needed ~ sling and "pointy thing."

To be changed:  "Flash Hider."  Don't believe that innocent blob of iron on the end of the barrel is legal in this state.  Some consider it unattractive, I guess, and find it offensive.  Ah well... it came with the barrel.  I'd like to eventually replace it with an early-style 3-prong "duck bill" unit - but alas, that too is not acceptable.  So, I'll buy a "dummy."  

Also, I may think about changing the color of either the handguard or stock to match.

The good news is, other than the horrid unmentionable item at the end of the barrel, it's allegedly legal.  Note the odd-looking device where the magazine release button would be.  The magazine can NOT be ejected as-is.   But pulling the Takedown Pin using the handy-dandy attached ring and opening the action slightly allows the button to function.  Supposedly that makes the Emperor happy.  (And of course that "large" magazine will go away)  :ph34r:

By the way... how many times is a fella allowed to launch the pivot pin detent before it's hopelessly lost...?  (I wuz danged lucky - several times!)  :lol:

And here 'tis!  Yippee!  ^_^

With thanks to Sassparilla Kid (Christmas gift of barrel assembly), Palouse (handguard), Half-Breed Pete (bare upper and sights).  B)

20201106_145059.thumb.jpg.7d2983a0a28222afc072909f756332f9.jpg                20201106_150510.thumb.jpg.607db2596f4386654a9978229acbdcbd.jpg

20201106_150521.thumb.jpg.2f2a5f502cd7b9abb12fd9380d4b3be6.jpg

Uh oh...

Hate to tell you this but it looks like you left out the piston return springs. I don’t see the retention screw present for them. Also, where are the grease mounts for the hydrostatic  damper valve and rod assembly? You did put in the hydrostatic dampener valve and rod assembly?  The only externally visible part would be its grease mount. I don’t see them. Should be 3 total, that’s why I asked.

I wouldn’t shoot it.

Congrats Hardpan. Good looking rifle. 

I have decided to build a similar one...in just over 2 years and 3 months. 

I love that upper receiver. ;)

looks really nice , at first i thought you were going for a retro model , but by the time i got to the bottom and saw the photos i better understood the accumulation of parts aspect , i like it , ya did well , 

On 11/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, watab kid said:

looks really nice , at first i thought you were going for a retro model , but by the time i got to the bottom and saw the photos i better understood the accumulation of parts aspect , i like it , ya did well , 

Thankee, Kid!  ^_^

Well... it's "retro-esque" ~ which was my intent... reminiscent of the originals.  About as good as it gets in this state.  

On 11/6/2020 at 6:21 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Uh oh...

Hate to tell you this but it looks like you left out the piston return springs. I don’t see the retention screw present for them. Also, where are the grease mounts for the hydrostatic  damper valve and rod assembly? You did put in the hydrostatic dampener valve and rod assembly?  The only externally visible part would be its grease mount. I don’t see them. Should be 3 total, that’s why I asked.

I wouldn’t shoot it.

"Triple D," you can't tell from the pictures, but the PRS's and retention screws have been omitted.  Remember, the pistol grip is hollow and open on the bottom; this particular iteration has the concealed zerk manifold hidden within the handle and easily accessed to top off the grease sump within the buttstock.  There's a diverter from the gas tube to provide pressurization, with internal capillary lines ensuring that a film of lubrication is constantly supplied or refreshed for all critical friction surfaces.  :)

Patent Pending.  whistling.gif

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Thankee, Kid!  ^_^

Well... it's "retro-esque" ~ which was my intent... reminiscent of the originals.  About as good as it gets in this state.  

"Triple D," you can't tell from the pictures, but the PRS's and retention screws have been omitted.  Remember, the pistol grip is hollow and open on the bottom; this particular iteration has the concealed zerk manifold concealed within the handle and easily accessed to top off the grease sump within the buttstock.  There's a diverter from the gas tube to provide pressurization, with internal capillary lines ensuring that a film of lubrication is constantly supplied or refreshed for all critical friction surfaces.  :)

Patent Pending.  whistling.gif

Those are brilliant ideas, but, and BE HONEST, did you come up and design those, or was it the kid?

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

There's a diverter from the gas tube to provide pressurization, with internal capillary lines ensuring that a film of lubrication is constantly supplied or refreshed for all critical friction surfaces. 

Did you include the turbo enbcabulator?

On the serious side - are you SURE about that pistol grip not making it an "assault weapon" that must be, but can't be, registered?

51 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

My money's on the kid. If I had any:rolleyes::lol::blush:

Would you accept that it was a "collaborative effort...?"  :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Did you include the turbo enbcabulator?

On the serious side - are you SURE about that pistol grip not making it an "assault weapon" that must be, but can't be, registered?

Use of the Turbo Enbcabulator is precluded with installation of the A2 buttstock.  ;)

On the subject of the pistol grip... that (and actually, the so-called "flash hider") supposedly become moot with the mentioned magazine release replacement "gizmo" that requires "shotgun" breaking the gun to release the magazine.  At least until some Sacramento Capon (I LOVE your term!) decides it's not nice enough for 'em.  [ On that note, when is "enough" enough?! ]  :angry:

Under California's  S.B. 880 Bill, a fixed magazine is defined as "an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action."

For the AR-15 platform, having to separate the upper and lower receivers to remove the magazine constitutes disassembly.  This is what California's legislature says

“Disassembly of the firearm action” means the fire control assembly is detached from the action in such a way that the action has been interrupted and will not function. For example, disassembling the action on a two part receiver, like that on an AR-15 style firearm, would require the rear take down pin to be removed, the upper receiver lifted upwards and away from the lower receiver using the front pivot pin as the fulcrum, before the magazine may be removed.

So, fixed-magazine conversions do exactly that: They drop the magazine from the magazine well only when you pull the rear takedown pin, separating the upper and lower receivers. To assist with faster reloads, most kits include a new takedown pin with a pull tab. Some kits require you to press a custom magazine release button, while others automatically drop the mag once the receivers are separated. You then insert a fresh magazine, close the receivers, chamber a new round, and you're ready to fire. These kits render the regular magazine release button on the side of the receiver inoperable.

Dear Uncle Curmudgeon,

Thankyou for showing me the pictures of your fine firearm.  :)

................. unfortunately for me, those pictures are about as close as I'll ever get to firearms of this type/nature.  :(

sincerely  wbj

I’m kind of surprised it’s CA legal!

22 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Lessee... after three or four years I finally collected enough parts to assemble a "dreaded black rifle."  Mostly.  Almost.  :rolleyes:

Missing:  Roll pin and spring for Ejection Port Cover.  I made the mistake of assuming that ordering an "Ejection Port Cover Assembly" would include said... evidently not; have ordered 'em separately.  Still needed ~ sling and "pointy thing."

To be changed:  "Flash Hider."  Don't believe that innocent blob of iron on the end of the barrel is legal in this state.  Some consider it unattractive, I guess, and find it offensive.  Ah well... it came with the barrel.  I'd like to eventually replace it with an early-style 3-prong "duck bill" unit - but alas, that too is not acceptable.  So, I'll buy a "dummy."  

Also, I may think about changing the color of either the handguard or stock to match.

The good news is, other than the horrid unmentionable item at the end of the barrel, it's allegedly legal.  Note the odd-looking device where the magazine release button would be.  The magazine can NOT be ejected as-is.   But pulling the Takedown Pin using the handy-dandy attached ring and opening the action slightly allows the button to function.  Supposedly that makes the Emperor happy.  (And of course that "large" magazine will go away)  :ph34r:

By the way... how many times is a fella allowed to launch the pivot pin detent before it's hopelessly lost...?  (I wuz danged lucky - several times!)  :lol:

And here 'tis!  Yippee!  ^_^

With thanks to Sassparilla Kid (Christmas gift of barrel assembly), Palouse (handguard), Half-Breed Pete (bare upper and sights).  B)

20201106_145059.thumb.jpg.7d2983a0a28222afc072909f756332f9.jpg                20201106_150510.thumb.jpg.607db2596f4386654a9978229acbdcbd.jpg

20201106_150521.thumb.jpg.2f2a5f502cd7b9abb12fd9380d4b3be6.jpg

Would the 3 prong flash hider be legal?

52 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Would the 3 prong flash hider be legal?

Wot Joe sez...

The "flow chart" indicates that if it is a "fixed magazine" rifle, the pistol grip and flash hider are not issues.  

But, just to avoid controversy, I'll change the birdcage to the third one in this picture (and get a Number Two... uh... just to have one).  Number Three is described in the catalog thusly:  

"Banned States" 3 prong has fake slots on the side (cosmetic only) and will pass the "Pinky Test" in states where this is necessary.

Mebbe if I color it in with a flat black Sharpie...  :rolleyes:

Duck_Bill_and_3_prong_flash_hiders_left_to_right_duck_bill_3_prong_3_prong_mock_banned_state_RetroRifles.com__35884.1604541641.jpg?c=2            image.jpeg.cd46bbf7afa3780b0bb615a3c989b10a.jpeg

Now, to make this simple...

flowchart_front.png

On 11/6/2020 at 9:21 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Uh oh...

I wouldn’t shoot it.

And don't forget the "Keep Fingers Away"  warning etched on the inside of the ejection port cover... ;)

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And don't forget the "Keep Fingers Away"  warning etched on the inside of the ejection port cover... ;)

..........Widder

Don’t forget the California Cancer Warning......

7 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Don’t forget the California Cancer Warning......

Mebbe I'll put a "Prop 65" sticker inside the ejection port dust cover...  ^_^

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Does this chart include the, um, Enlightened, yeah, Enlightened, new laws from 2016 and 2018?

Not per the date in the lower right corner!:angry:

"... "assault weapon" ..." 

aint really no such thing , if you assault someone it dont matter what you use - pick axe or ice pick , , but then why would you argue with an ignorant person or the MSP they obviously dont think they are wrong , 

for whyat its worth i still have an old timey ice pick - i keep it well oiled and ready for use ............i might want ice in my manhattan one evening or ...................

36 minutes ago, watab kid said:

"... "assault weapon" ..." 

aint really no such thing , if you assault someone it dont matter what you use - pick axe or ice pick , , but then why would you argue with an ignorant person or the MSP they obviously dont think they are wrong , 

for whyat its worth i still have an old timey ice pick - i keep it well oiled and ready for use ............i might want ice in my manhattan one evening or ...................

Unfortunately that vague and meaningless phrase is embedded in laws across our republic. 

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Does this chart include the, um, Enlightened, yeah, Enlightened, new laws from 2016 and 2018?

That's an old chart that I included to illustrate the point of the absurd complexity of California's laws, which have been written and passed by people who have little or no knowledge of the subject material.  There are more current charts that essentially show the same thing, but not as readily available to grab and post here.

The excerpt below is from the California Code of Regulations, which you can read in its entirety here.  :)

§ 5471. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Explanation...

11 CA ADC § 5471BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS

(m) “Detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm without disassembly of the firearm action or use of a tool....

(n) “Disassembly of the firearm action” means the fire control assembly is detached from the action in such a way that the action has been interrupted and will not function. For example, disassembling the action on a two part receiver, like that on an AR-15 style firearm, would require the rear take down pin to be removed, the upper receiver lifted upwards and away from the lower receiver using the front pivot pin as the fulcrum, before the magazine may be removed.

Archived