SASS Wire Forum

Lifter Spring Screws for Uberti ‘73

Tequila Shooter

I was searching yesterday for hardened screws to replace the two lifter screws.  I’ve replaced them already with the ones from PGW, but they didn’t seem to hold up any better and yes I’m using properly sized gunsmith screwdrivers.  Anyway, I stock checked VTI who has them but thought that they’d be just about the same.  Then I came on an old Wire thread and someone said that they replaced them with these from Brownells:  6-40 x ⅜” refill pack.  For the price I bought them in both ¼ and ⅜ inch.  Not sure if anyone else has tried them recently.  I’ll post an update when I try them to see if they are a good alternative.

The Smith Shop has those hardened lifter and lever spring screws - that is what I use.    And the Smith Shop's lifter/lever springs, too.

One really is miles ahead putting the VTI complete kit of hardened screws in as soon as you get your Uberti rifle.  Saves several panic attacks as the soft factory screws wallow out one by one!  And I replace the mag tube cap with one with a hex socket - so that won't bugger up either.

Good luck, GJ

PLUS ONE too Garrison Joe.

The VTI replacement set of hardened screws is the only way to go.

The biggest problem isn't the Screws.  The problem is the springs themselves.  The back of the spring is not properly arched to fit the curvature of the fame.  This causes the spring to NOT sit flat.  The spring then tightened down at an angle, binding the screw threads.  The back of the spring need ground to fit the frame when snugged down.

Also, the Side Springs from both "the Smith Shop" and from Slix are the proper length and shape to fit.  The contact end will still net to be fit to the Arm and the Lever.   

I bought a set of the VTI screws, there were not hardened nearly as much as I expected and still got a bit of rounding with one of them. As for grinding the springs, seems to me if the screws are able to be tightened completely they should lay flat. And if the don't, does it really make a difference? As long as they are started straight you should be fine.

I ordered some from Taylor's & Company last year.  They came in fast fit perfectly.

Taylor's & Company

Item Sku Qty
Uberti 1866 Rifle Parts PU-1866 Rifle Parts-PAR/1873.LLSC 2
Uberti 1866 Rifle Parts    
1 x Set Of (2) Hardened Lever/Lifter Spring Screws (1873.LLSC) $9.00 PAR/1873.LLSC  

9 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 I’ve seen the magazine tube cap with the hex fitting?

Not a Hex Fitting, but Online Post has one by Slix made of brass.  It shouldn't ever seize in the end of the tube like the steel one do, and the brass one is shiny! :lol:

Brass Magazine Cap

:) Hey Slim ;)

I see your logic, but doesn't work that way.  As the OEM spring is tightened down, the spring boss tilts and doesn't seat down flat to the frame.  This causes asymmetrical torque on the screw and actually causes it to try and bend and jams in the threads.  On New rifles, often the screws cannot be removed easily without turning the spring at a right angle to the frame to relieve the wonky pressure.  OEM springs need modified.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

:) Hey Slim ;)

I see your logic, but doesn't work that way.  As the OEM spring is tightened down, the spring boss tilts and doesn't seat down flat to the frame.  This causes asymmetrical torque on the screw and actually causes it to try and bend and jams in the threads.  On New rifles, often the screws cannot be removed easily without turning the spring at a right angle to the frame to relieve the wonky pressure.

That's what I do.  Take the side plates off, turn the spring at a right angle so it's sticking out the side and remove the screw(s).  Never had a problem removing the original screws.  Maybe I'm lucky.

You may be right. The screws may just not be large enough to apply enough pressure to bottom out the spring. On my 66's I install the plates with the springs loose so I don't actually get to see what they look like when completely tightened.

Archived