SASS Wire Forum

Owning vs Possessing an Illegal Gun

bgavin

Here in the PRK of California, many guns are illegal.

Question:  are they illegal to "own" or illegal to "possess?"

For example, I own an AR-999 with attached RPG.
Assume this gun is permanently out of California.
I still "own" the gun but do not "possess" the gun.

If I recall correctly, one of the options available to CA residents that own "banned" firearms was to relocate them out of state. There were businesses in NV that would safely store such firearms for CA residents for a fee. 

The only semi that I own is a Remington V3 for trap.
Some fool in CA will no doubt eventually make this into an "assault" weapon.

I have access to secure storage in NV, if need be.

The state of California has no jurisdiction over what you own in another state.

53 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The state of California has no jurisdiction over what you own in another state.

You can bet they'll change that if they get the chance. They'll come up with some creative language stating that a CA resident who owns an assault weapon in another state is in "constructive possession" of it because all they have to do is go drive out of state and pick it up.

And the state of California wants to tax residents for moving out of state???

3 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

You can bet they'll change that if they get the chance.

If they do the states' taxpayers will will be paying plaintiff's attorney's fees when they loose in the 9th Circus.  States don't have power to regulate a resident's activity outside the state.

22 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

If they do the states' taxpayers will will be paying plaintiff's attorney's fees when they loose in the 9th Circus.  States don't have power to regulate a resident's activity outside the state.

You know that and I know that, but since when have the Dems and anti-gunners followed the rules?

32 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

You know that and I know that, but since when have the Dems and anti-gunners followed the rules?

You're right many dem pols don't bother with following the advise of their attorneys especially as long as Nanny Bloomberg provides defence attorneys & the plaintiffs attorneys' fee when they loose.

This reminds me of Daniel Richards, the California Fish and Game Commissioner who killed a mountain lion in Idaho several years ago.

Mountain lions are quite legal to hunt in Idaho; they are protected in California.  The California legislature pretty much crucified the guy.

By the way ~ the kitties are now considered "endangered" and "imperiled" in the state.  Interesting... Emperor Newsom's dad, Bill, pushed Proposition 117 some thirty years ago to ban and protect the poor li'l cats.  Reports are that more lions are killed in the state today by ranchers protecting livestock than were ever taken by hunters.

And California is now pressuring other states to ban lead ammunition... 'cuz their legislators are SO wise, don'tcha know.  -_-

*Grump*   :angry:

Reference

By the looks of things all guns might become illegal to own under this new Administration. 

(A Sad Year for America For Sure !)

We are the laughing stock of the World .

So saith the Rooster 

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

AB3071 in California seeks to ban *ALL* lead ammunition, everywhere.
No more trap, skeet, plinking...

There is a similar bill in NY state as well.

This failed last time it was attempted.

I seriously doubt it will fail again... the party in this state that wants it has a total lock on the legislature and administration.  

Personally, I find their need to control something of which they have little understanding or interest to be as obscene as it is astonishing.

why on earth would one state think they have the right to tell another state what to do ? OH yes , its because libs think themselves so superior to their fellow men , think thats actually un-constitutional or did i misread that first part ? they always want to censor others free speech - maybe we should do the same to their thinking , 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

And the state of California wants to tax residents for moving out of state???

'Splain this to me.  Last I heard, taxation only happens while you're IN the state.  Do we make special rules for California?

10 minutes ago, MizPete said:

'Splain this to me.  Last I heard, taxation only happens while you're IN the state.  Do we make special rules for California?

CA dem thinking. Akin to "holding for ransom"!:angry:

On 11/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, MizPete said:

Back taxes.  They could theoretically set it up so that you were getting a discount on your taxes for being a resident for the next 10 years.  So anytime you move out you have to pay back those discounts from the last 10 years.  That's basically how they do it in Texas when you lose your ag exemption (at least they did back when I was first looking for a house, that penalty passed on to the new owner in that case). 

I've heard New York does something to penalize people who move away too.  But I think their method is something along the lines of assuming you're still working in NY for part of the year and billing you.  Then it's up to you to prove you weren't. Rush Limbaugh talked about that back when he made the move to Florida. 

Archived