SASS Wire Forum

Illowa Irregulars Free Grazers, Stage 3 Video

Popcorn Kelly

Well, like many others in the northern part of the US, Illowa Irregulars held our last match of the year recently.  What a year!  I'm still on the fence - is this s year to remember or a year to forget?  Perhaps a little of both.  

For those that are unfamiliar with us, Ilowa Irregulars Cowboy Action Shooting was established in 1993.  We are located in the Quad Cities region at the Iowa/Illinois border (Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa and Rock Island and Moline, Illinois), which is where the "Illowa" portion of our name originated.  Our club is actually located in Milan, IL, just outside Rock Island.  

As we've done for several years, our last match of the year is reserved for what we refer to as our "Free Grazers" match where we encourage people to try the different shooting styles used in SASS - Duelist, Gunfighter, Double Duelist, Outlaw, etc.  

We decided to document our last match this year by recording and producing a video of it. Nothing fancy, mind you - just something fun to share with other CAS enthusiasts.  The video consists of 7 of our shooters shooting one of the more unique stages at our final match - Stage 3.  As you will see by the clothing we were wearing, it was a brisk, beautiful Fall day in the Upper Midwest for a little Cowboy Action fun.   

We'd love to have you hitch your wagon to our hitching post next year and join us for our monthly matches and our annual 3-day event Fall Round-Up held in late September. Go to www.illowairregulars.com for more information.  Thanks for looking, and we hope you smile a little bit as  you watch the video.  

Happy Trails.

Thanks, Popcorn for producing this video. ( Did you all catch the first song? Wannabe Cowboy)We usually have 45-50 shooters attend our matches.  But at 35 degrees, with a 21 mph with causing a wind chill of 15, only 12 hearty cowboys and one junior girl gave it a go.

The wind was strong enough that it did damage to the Cowboy prop and caused a change in the way the stage was shot.

This was a round count stage. Pistol was, shoot the balloons in the cowboy's hands, hit the 4 plates on the dueling tree, and remaining rounds on the dump plate. Rifle was the balloons in the saloon girl's hands, 6 plates, and remaining on the last plate. One shooter opted for playing cards instead of the beer mugs. Shotgun was set to give a chance of two falling with one shot. 

looks like ya all had fun , im looking at making one there soon , you are within my driving range now that i am retired and it would be fun to come back to the quad cities area  its been nearly 40 years , 82 , since i lived and worked there , im sure a lot has changed - last time i visited was for BIX and that was in 89-90 ,  see folks taking off their coats - ill try to make a warm weather shoot , 

Archived