SASS Wire Forum

I have me a hankering for southern food.

Finagler 6853 Life

With this dang virus, I'm not traveling like I used to or should.  I need to find a Texas Roadhouse or a Lone Star restaurant.  I have a hankering for a good chicken fried chicken smothered in gravy.  I really want to get back to KC and get some BBQ.  Maybe I'll fire up the smoker this weekend.  Somehow it always tastes better when someone else cooks it.  If you asked for chicken fried chicken in Wisconsin, you get a funny look.  BBQ is ok but just not the same.  I wonder if I can get some delivered.  

Cut up your chicken & soak the pieces in milk for a while; then dredge them in a mixture of flour, pepper & poultry seasoning.  If your heart can stand it - back in the milk & flour coating.  Heat the oil (I use refined coconut) about an inch deep in a cast iron skillet.  Cook til done, turning only once.  Take pieces out & put in a warm oven while you make the gravy.  Put the gravy on the rice, not the chicken (you don't want to lose that crispy coating).  Do not eat fried chicken with a fork.

P.S. KC is good food but it ain't BBQ.  North Carolina knows BBQ.

P.P.S  I suppose grits is out of the question.

6 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

That came out the summer I moved into my frat house.  I can so relate. 

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Cut up your chicken & soak the pieces in milk for a while; then dredge them in a mixture of flour, pepper & poultry seasoning.  If your heart can stand it - back in the milk & flour coating.  Heat the oil (I use refined coconut) about an inch deep in a cast iron skillet.  Cook til done, turning only once.  Take pieces out & put in a warm oven while you make the gravy.  Put the gravy on the rice, not the chicken (you don't want to lose that crispy coating).  Do not eat fried chicken with a fork.

P.S. KC is good food but it ain't BBQ.  North Carolina knows BBQ.

P.P.S  I suppose grits is out of the question.

Thank you for that recipe. :)

I miss good barbecue as well. 

Burnt ends????

4 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

With this dang virus, I'm not traveling like I used to or should.  I need to find a Texas Roadhouse or a Lone Star restaurant.  I have a hankering for a good chicken fried chicken smothered in gravy.  I really want to get back to KC and get some BBQ.  Maybe I'll fire up the smoker this weekend.  Somehow it always tastes better when someone else cooks it.  If you asked for chicken fried chicken in Wisconsin, you get a funny look.  BBQ is ok but just not the same.  I wonder if I can get some delivered.  

Get it delivered! KFC delivers for free! You could also use Door Dash or Uber Eats. Treat yourself instead!!

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Get it delivered! KFC delivers for free! You could also use Door Dash or Uber Eats. Treat yourself instead!!

KC not KFC :lol:

KC =  Kansas City BBQ.  Decidedly different than BBQ in the Carolinas' 

52 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

KC not KFC :lol:

KC =  Kansas City BBQ.  Decidedly different than BBQ in the Carolinas' 

Memphis BBQ is another great choice!!

A sandwich with slow cooked pulled pork (over hickory, of course!) with cole slaw slaw mixed in the meat, covered in a spicy mustard based BBQ sauce with a couple slices of dill pickle on it.

A couple or 12 of them and a bag of chips and life's pretty good.

I miss pork tenderloin sandwiches & WI cheese soup.  In the early 80's there was a transplant couple from upper midwest that had a restaurant in Dublin CA that served upper midwest comfort food.  Just can't find it in SF Bay Area or Reno Tahoe area.

A couple of years ago a lady opened up a catfish and fried chicken restaurant in Columbia.  We made it one of our favorite places to eat when we were in town.  Then the virus struck and they were limited to carry out.   Their business dropped as did much of the restaurant businesses so they cut back to being open only on Thursday,  Friday and Saturday.   After the state wide restrictions were lifted, Columbia enacted its own mask and social distance regulations.   Now the restaurant is permanently closed.  But the good news is that they have moved to our town! 

13 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Memphis BBQ is another great choice!!

Alabama BBQ is a slightly different style than KC, Memphis, or either of the Carolina's.  If you want some killer ribs, go to Brenda's BBQ on Mobile Road in Montgomery.  But bring your EDC with you, it's a rough neighborhood.  Then again, so is all of Montgomery.

17 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

A sandwich with slow cooked pulled pork (over hickory, of course!) with cole slaw slaw mixed in the meat, covered in a spicy mustard based BBQ sauce with a couple slices of dill pickle on it.

You sure you're not from South Carolina?

How about some DISCOMFORT food!!  A little Nashville Hot Chicken!!  :lol: :lol: :o

7 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Alabama BBQ is a slightly different style than KC, Memphis, or either of the Carolina's.  If you want some killer ribs, go to Brenda's BBQ on Mobile Road in Montgomery.  But bring your EDC with you, it's a rough neighborhood.  Then again, so is all of Montgomery.

All the best food in Montgomery is in sketchy locations.

That Mexican place in front of the trailer park at Northen Blvd and Ware's Ferry, for example.

Isn’t most of Montgomery a little sketchy of late??  :rolleyes: :lol:

40 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Isn’t most of Montgomery a little sketchy of late??  :rolleyes: :lol:

Absolutely.  If it weren't for my Mom and Sister still living there, I'd never drive back there again.  I love it down here in Buzzard Hill.

6 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Nope.  Can't stand a sweet, mustard based sauce. 

Totally agree.  No sweet sauce.  Try Maurice's.  But my personal favorite is down east NC (vinegar based sauce).  Do I need to send you a  bottle of Scott's?

If I had known I can smoke pulled pork and ribs as well as I have found I can in the last 8 years, I'd have never bought any.  That said, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Decatur, AL is tops.  Dreamland (Alabama franchise in Tuscaloosa, Montgomery and a couple more) is pretty good, but their nanner puddin is the best thing on their menu.  

Although I don't eat it much, the wife does...you can't claim to have eaten southern food without having fried catfish on Friday nights.  Hush puppies, mayo based cole slaw and choice of fries or baked potato must accompany the fish.  I prefer pulled pork, steak or chicken fingers myself.  

My fried chicken recipe includes a 24 hour soak in buttermilk, followed by a dusting of a mixture of paprika, cayenne pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder.  Then dredge in flour seasoned lightly with salt and black pepper.  Fry in a cast iron skillet in about 1/2" of vegetable shortening, turning only once.  Drain on rack over paper towels, do not let chicken make contact with paper towels.  Cover loosely with aluminum foil to hold heat in until ready to serve, but do not put in oven or you'll lose the crunchy exterior.

The best southern grits dish I have ever had I get at the Homecoming restaurant In Bellefontaine, OH.  The corn is fresh up there.

I keep seeing recurring directions to fry the chicken in a pan of oil. I used to do that before I bought a deep fryer. I can't taste the difference and the texture seems to be the same. Do any of ya'll detect any difference between the two cooking methods?

Btw, the best fried catfish I've ever had was in a little hole in the wall place in N. Carolina Smokey Mountains in the early 70's. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. 

10 hours ago, MizPete said:

Totally agree.  No sweet sauce.  Try Maurice's.  But my personal favorite is down east NC (vinegar based sauce).  Do I need to send you a  bottle of Scott's?

Only if I get to send you a bottle of Foy's or Pop's.

On 11/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I appreciate the suggestion but,,,, I live in rural/small town Wisconsin.  Door Dash and Uber Eats are mere figments of our imagination.  Besides, KFC, around here, doesn't do chicken fried chicken.  They do fried chicken but not pounded flat like a steak.  Now I'm hungry again.

I like any kind of BBQ.  I picked out KC as we have a shop there that I will get back to one day.  In the tiny burg the shop is in they have a mom and pop place that makes great BBQ.  In KC, our manager took us to a place, can't remember the name but it was outstanding.  Had burnt ends, pork, beef and I think even chicken.  I have to get back there.

Memphis, Abalama, Mistressippi, even Kaintucky had great BBQ.  I just need to get out.

Mom has a rack of baby back ribs in the fridge I think I'll prep at lunch and she can set on the grill for dinner.  Gonna have some good eats.  Yum.

Just finished up making a big pot of mixed bean soup with country sausage and ground beef, Cajun seasonings, minced onion, chopped bell pepper, and spicy V8 juice.

I’ll toast up some good bread and melt in a few nice cheeses when I sit down to eat it!!

Archived