SASS Wire Forum

Cast your bread upon the waters

Certain peoples, ancient and otherwise, believed time to be a river, from which one dipped generously as needed; others, that time was circular, and all would in time return -- the origin of our common saying, "What goes around, comes around."

That might be where the idea of casting your bread upon the waters must come from.

For several years now, I've made a habit of cutting my neighbor's yard when I cut my own. He never asked me to, but the man's had difficulties, and I'm lazy natured, so if I give his yard a haircut, why, that's work he doesn't have to do.

I was going to give my yard its final haircut of the season, I got 3/4 of the first pass made and the drive mechanism broke: it'll take a major disassembly on this little Poulan Pro to get to the necessary parts, so I'm going to let the dealer handle that, along with new belts, sharpen and balance the blades and otherwise give this faithful little six year old mower a going-over.

I heard something running outside, just now, and took a look.

It's the neighbor whose yard I've mowed all these years.

We spoke at the mailbox yesterday and I told him about my mower going kaput.

He's out there with a push mower, cutting my grass.

Cast your bread upon the waters.

I volunteered to mow a lady’s 3 acre lawn years ago when I was a teenager. She said she had a mower. I assumed it was at least a power push mower. It was a push mower. :blink:

Learned a hard lesson that day. :D

Come to think of it. My neighbor mowed my lawn years ago when I was laid up. He wouldn’t accept a return favor.
I am really not too sure my current neighbors would be “neighborly” like that. I am, but I still get sideways looks from many of them. 

some good neighborly behavior all around i would say , glad to hear there is still a bit of that happening , 

in the thirty years ive lived here - im the second owner of a 1963 home in a neighborhood that was a development - all 2 to 3 acre lots -when these few were built , all of my original neighbors were 15+ years my elder , all first owners have died and their homes are all in second or even third owners now , im twice or more most of their age , we are not close and have never been as social as the first owners were - they had big parties and BBQs , as much as ive missed the "GOOD neighbor" life of my young years , ive not ever had that , we are all just good neighbors , will all help but dont pay too much attention unless something is said or requested , 

nice that you still have that , 

This doesn't have anything to do with mowing grass, but we live on a ranch in eastern Oregon. My mother in law lives just outside of the nearby postage stamp sized town, and our bulk gas tank is in her yard. About three times a year we get somebody coming along who is almost out of gas and the nearest gas is 30 miles one way and 40 the other. I take 'em down to our gas tank and fill 'em up. When they try to pay me I tell 'em "Pay it forward. Help somebody else in need"...

On 11/5/2020 at 5:35 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I volunteered to mow a lady’s 3 acre lawn years ago when I was a teenager. She said she had a mower. I assumed it was at least a power push mower. It was a push mower. :blink:

Learned a hard lesson that day. :D

Come to think of it. My neighbor mowed my lawn years ago when I was laid up. He wouldn’t accept a return favor.
I am really not too sure my current neighbors would be “neighborly” like that. I am, but I still get sideways looks from many of them. 

We all tried to talk you out of moving to Kalifornia in the first place .

But the count down has begun lol 

Archived