SASS Wire Forum

Soule Sight opinions

Pee Wee #15785

Getting ready for a major bank account hit. I have both a C. Sharps in .45-70 used and a Browning High Wall with a barrel replacement in .38-55. No sights yet on the Browning but the C. Sharps has their Vernier Tang Sight that has to soft a metal and the retaining spring has scraped enough that there is no notch in the sight to lock in place when in the up right position. What sight would work on the sharps to a 1000 yards? What sight would be best for the Browning to 600 yards? I might try the Browning to 1000 yards knowing that the .38-55 isn't a good 1000 yard round. Have been looking at MVA #103 Long Range Buffalo, Lee Shaver SUPER GRADE SOULE TYPE SIGHTS, Baldwin Long Range Sights, Pedersoli but don't know which as so many, Kelley Long Range Soule Sight, and Hoke Long Range. I like the MVA being made in the USA and warranty their products for life against manufacturing defects. If you use one of the Soule sights I list please tell me how you like it and what you don't like about it.

Prices are all in the same ball park, HIGH!

My vote goes to MVA.  I have two of the  Buffalo Soule on C. Sharps 1885 Highwalls.  Both are vastly more accurate and precisely adjustable than the shooter.

On my 45-90 I have accurately shot out to 1200 yards.  I have also shot the same rifle with 40 minutes of windage.  Maybe not so accurately!

I needed a screw and stopped by the MVA factory on the way home from Forsyth, MT.  They fixed me up in just a few minutes.  Good sights and good folks.

I've got three Lee Shaver Deluxe sight sets on two Sharps and one High Wall. I just bought my first MVA and mounted it on an 1895 Marlin. I'm perfectly happy with the Lee Shavers, and usually place 1st or 2nd in CAS side matches with them. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the Marlin yet, but the sight appears to be very well built. The MVA took 3 1/2 weeks to arrive, which is about right, but had the wrong base. I called and got them busy making the correct base, which took another seven and a half weeks to arrive, so, all told, eleven weeks, which seems excessive. BUT, the owner had a death in the family during all this, so there were extenuating circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Cry one time and go with MVA Buffalo Long Range Soule Sight. It has twice the windage the std Soule has. 

You also want a Hadley Eye Cup.

The MVA #113 front sight a good choice.

OLG 

+1  That's the combination I'm using.  It's more accurate than I am.

I have a set of Kelley on a HiWall and a Win 76. Excellent. MVA on a Sharps. Also excellent. (The Sharps came with MVA sights). Both are top quality. I think the Kelley are more attractive, brass and CCH. 

My Uberti-Win 76 came with Pedersoli sights. I did not like them at all. For me, hard to read and the quality was just not the same. I still have them in a box. Probably ought to sell them!

Dont scrimp on sights. For 1000 yd distances you are also going to want a front sight with a level. A Hadley eye cup is also nice. You can adjust the aperture according to the light conditions. I have the “magnum” size on my Sharps. 

I agree with OLG AND Ozark,  113 front sight, Buffalo Soule in appropriate length for intended range and you are good to go!

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Cry one time and go with MVA Buffalo Long Range Soule Sight. It has twice the windage the std Soule has. 

You also want a Hadley Eye Cup.

The MVA #113 front sight a good choice.

OLG 

+2!

If you are shooting out to 1000 yards, then you want as much windage as possible.  I have the MVA Buffalo Long Range Soule sight and use it on everything from 200 yards out to 1200 yards.  Yes, and get the Hadley Eye Cup too.

I was split between MVA and Hoke. Ended up going with Hoke as I like the wind age setup a bit better. The vernier scale for the wind age is entirely on the two sliding surfaces just as the elevation scale is, this eliminates any potential error in adjusting due to backlash, and the wind age adjustment is also physically more compact. In reality wouldn’t have any issue with either sight. 

Considered Baldwin but when Inspoke with him he wasn’t willing to make a taller staff which I would be looking for in the future. 

MVA does not make a Soule vernier but Baldwin does.  I have a Baldwin Mid Range & Long Range and recommend them.

Suggestion: Buy, one  this way: a  Long Range staff for both rifles with 2 different bases. Then you just put the Long Range staff inter changeably on each, one for each different rifle.  Basically saves you close to $400

I have Pedersoli's too but intended to buy Baldwin bases for all the rifles and use the staff's interchangeably Sharp's, HiWall's and extra barrels for the CPA Stevens 44 1/2

Black Powder Sights

Comes standard with 5 hole Adjustable eye piece. (Hadley Cup)

Long Range Sights

$485.00

Windage - 30 minutes left or right

Mid-Range Sights

$415.00

Windage - 15 minutes left or right

Thanks for all the feedback, now to call MVA, Hoke, and Baldwin.  I was leaning towards Hoke till all the feed back.  I like the MVA life time warranty but I need to talk to Baldwin.

MVA, get the tallest Soule they have and then individual bases for each rifle. Saves money. I would get the second base screw for the site. I leave it in the gun I'm not using so the threads stay protected. I have  aSharps and an 1885 C-Sharps high wall.

43 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I recently bought a rear and front sight from MVA.  Prior to that I bought a set of sights from Lee Shaver. 

I’ll only do business with Mr Shaver going forward.

Why?

OLG

It took 4 months to receive the sights, which would have been okay had I not been told that it would only take one month, and every subsequent inquiry was answered with “next week”.

When the sights finally arrived, the slot in the #111 globe front sight was too narrow to fit a pair of stacked aperture inserts.  When I called MVA, they said it must have been damaged in shipping, even though the box was pristine upon arrival.  They said to send it back and they’d fix it, but by that time I’d lost trust that I’d see the sight again in a timely manner.

An hour or so with a small file fixed the situation mostly.  It’s on my rifle and working fine now.

To be fair, others have had great experience with MVA.  The rear sight, a #130, appears to be very well made.

I just had a bad experience and don’t wish to repeat it.

12 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It took 4 months to receive the sights, which would have been okay had I not been told that it would only take one month, and every subsequent inquiry was answered with “next week”.

When the sights finally arrived, the slot in the #111 globe front sight was too narrow to fit a pair of stacked aperture inserts.  When I called MVA, they said it must have been damaged in shipping, even though the box was pristine upon arrival.  They said to send it back and they’d fix it, but by that time I’d lost trust that I’d see the sight again in a timely manner.

An hour or so with a small file fixed the situation mostly.  It’s on my rifle and working fine now.

To be fair, others have had great experience with MVA.  The rear sight, a #130, appears to be very well made.

I just had a bad experience and don’t wish to repeat it.

WOW, I have never had any issue like that with MVA.

OLG 

Archived