SASS Wire Forum

Which is better?

I think the John Wayne version is more entertaining ... just could never get into Kim Darby in that movie ...

... OTOH ...

The Jeff Bridges version (IMHO) is flatter .. but comes off as more realistic.

I't's kinda cool that the "real" last name of the person playing "Ned Pepper" (in the Bridges version) ... is also "Pepper".  

When the remake came out I expected to hate it, instead I was impressed with the realism and the fact that they stayed true to the book and the original movie. Having said that I find the first film much more entertaining. I think both are well done. The book is also excellent and a quick read. Both movies stayed as true to the book as any movie can. Not to shatter anyone's illusions but here's a pic from the filming of the second film that popped up in my Facebook feed a few days ago.

ture grit.jpg

11 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

When the remake came out I expected to hate it, instead I was impressed with the realism and the fact that they stayed true to the book and the original movie. Having said that I find the first film much more entertaining. I think both are well done. The book is also excellent and a quick read. Both movies stayed as true to the book as any movie can. Not to shatter anyone's illusions but here's a pic from the filming of the second film that popped up in my Facebook feed a few days ago.

ture grit.jpg

Does the ASPCA know what they did to that horse?

LL

I know this is heresy. 

But the remake was simply better in every aspect; from the acting to being faithful to the book.

A girl (or at minimum, a young appearing actress) played the girl instead of an adult.

An actor played the Ranger instead of a musician.

And an actor played Rooster Cogburn instead of John Wayne playing John Wayne.

In my opinion - one of, if not THE best remake ever ..... I refuse to chose between them.

3 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I know this is heresy. 

But the remake was simply better in every aspect; from the acting to being faithful to the book.

A girl (or at minimum, a young appearing actress) played the girl instead of an adult.

I agree with all of that except, John Wayne defined what Rooster Cogburn was, at least for me, so JW playing JW was just fine as far as I was concerned.

Both versions were worth watching for sure. 

The original is a good film, relatively realistic, but still fun to watch. The second was more realistic, maybe exceptionally so, but it was a dark movie. I have watched the original at least 5 times, but have never re-watched the remake, even though I own the disk. Maybe I should and I will like it better than the first time.

I think that Wayne's performance was more then just being the typical John Wayne cowboy. Cambell was terrible. Really enjoy both movies.  The way Damon, as the ranger would say something in a bragging manner, then look away waiting for a response cracked me up.

i likeed both for what they are and when they were made , much as i like the magnificent seven in its versions for each , some remakes dont hold me but westerns normally do if any attempt was made to get it right --i wont abide a bunch of political overtiones or social justice preachin , 

i have always liked john wayne but he was better in this and a couple others than the coockie cutters of that career - will always tune in if he is playing tho , 

10 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I think that Wayne's performance was more then just being the typical John Wayne cowboy...

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

...i have always liked john wayne but he was better in this and a couple others than the coockie cutters of that career...

I really enjoyed the sequel, but I think John Wayne's performance was one of his very best.

I love John Wayne, but the remake is a better movie.  Kim Darby and Glen Campbell were pretty bad in the original and the look of the film was nowhere near as good as the remake.  

I'm actually surprised by how opinion seems to be in favor of the remake.    I just find it to be incredibly flat and wooden.   The worst offence, to me, is the utterly emotionless way the remake delivers the "Fill your hand..." line.   And is there anything more powerful than seeing John Wayne sitting on his horse and spin cocking his Winchester?   You see that happen and it's "Oh $#!%.  They're all gonna die..."   In the remake, he's just sorta sitting there unemotionally.   To me, the remake fails on so many levels.   This scene is just the most obvious place.  There's no power to it.  No thrill.  It just... is.

20 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I know this is heresy. 

Creeker you take that back! It was not just John Wayne playing himself! Goodness that was the greatest show of acting ever witnessed, he wore an eye patch! JW could do no wrong!

Rafe

21 hours ago, Colonel Kraken said:

ture grit.jpg

Awww... How sweet that they gave the acting job to a disabled horse!

21 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I know this is heresy. 

Pretty much captures my take. I feel like it’s disrespecting The Duke, but I liked the second one better in every way. 

And the musical score should have won an Oscar. 

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'm actually surprised by how opinion seems to be in favor of the remake.    I just find it to be incredibly flat and wooden.   The worst offence, to me, is the utterly emotionless way the remake delivers the "Fill your hand..." line.   And is there anything more powerful than seeing John Wayne sitting on his horse and spin cocking his Winchester?   You see that happen and it's "Oh $#!%.  They're all gonna die..."   In the remake, he's just sorta sitting there unemotionally.   To me, the remake fails on so many levels.   This scene is just the most obvious place.  There's no power to it.  No thrill.  It just... is.

Agreed! I like Jeff Bridges, but when he said the "Fill your hand..." line, he might as well have been saying "Your mother wears combat boots."

When the Duke says it, it sends chills down my spine every time!

It was one of John Wayne's greatest roles. Like more than one actor, he became even better in advancing age than he was in his so-called 'prime'.  Another example is The Shootist. All of the maturity of age and judgment is there, and in the case of True Grit, his perfect ease and perfection in the role.

But the first movie is seriously flawed, with Kim Darby especially, as well as Glen Campbell. And, even more than that, the happy sentimental ending, which seemed to be the thing in Hollywood at the time. Matty Ross just has a bandage on her arm, all is well, and surely she'll come by and see Rooster in due course.

It wasn't that the second movie was darker, but that it was truer to the book, which was darker. The scene at the dugout cabin, for example, was way better-- very harrowing.

I don't think of the Coen Bros movie as a 'remake' in the sense we usually think of-- a remake of a famous movie. It was another film of the book, not of the first movie. True Grit is its own screenplay.

Never read the book. Liked the John Wayne version, not the remake or as it was called a different film based on the book.

I thought Glen Campbell did a good job, however when I was young and saw the movie, I think Glen Campbell had a tv show (1969 to 1972) and I liked it.

I would watch the John Wayne version anytime it was on, saw the other one once and it was enough for me. I have the remake on DVD , bought it on the clearance rack at the local video store..

Plus one more for the remake.  Also have both on DVD but seem to wait many decades between viewings and, even then, it is almost always the Bridges version.  Early on I was not a big fan of Bridges but that has changed as he has aged into a danged good cowboy style actor.  It would almost seem that he is even at a point that he is now playing Jeff Bridges as a part, anyone see the comedy where he plays the angel of an old dead cowboy sheriff??   I still turn to the JW movies more often BUT I find the earlier ones such as 'Angel and Badman' , 'Stage Coach',  and my all time favorite western ' The Searchers' to be my top JW flicks.  

I like ‘em both!

Archived