SASS Wire Forum

Base pin ejector tool - smaller than a peanut.

Warden Callaway

When we dropped my Colt SAA 38WCF first generation of at Spring Creek Armory in Ten Sleeps Wyoming to get a complete makeover,  I bought a clever little tool that Bill Fuchs had developed (and patented) to eject the stuck base pin. A couple of days ago I made a video of using it.

https://springcreekarmory.com/

Reminds me of a home-made tool I read about long ago, and used but then forgot about.  Take a BB or small bearing, stick between two thin strips of tape, position it over the rear of base pin and lower hammer.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

bit rich for my blood :o

21 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

bit rich for my blood :o

No doubt kind of spendy. But not bad considering the limited market for them. 

I have one of those as well.

I think the spring creek armory tool will work better to get the pin started out of the gun

--Dawg 

We've met and visited with Bill a couple of times - once when we dropped off a second generation Colt SAA to have the hammer notches welded and recut (then fitted to the action) and again when we dropped off a first generation to have refinished.  Between time, he's repaired a second hammer. We correspond between times.   

About the development of the base pin ejector tool, his comments were that it was an independent idea and went through some development phase - simple as it looks.  He told of using it and launching the pin completely out of the gun. He told a story of one customer trying it early one morning and the pin ended up under the refrigerator.   His wife come on the scene of her husband wearing only his underwear, on his knees and elbows, fishing something out from under the refrigerator.  He had some explaining to do. :blush:

Archived