SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger 20 Gauge question

DeaconKC

Saw a used one today at one of my FLGS's for $300. Double triggers and clean as a whistle. Any of you shoot one or know if they are as good as their 12 Gauge brethren? Thanks

Bought one in 1966 brand new for $60.00 and have used  it in the field for everything every year. Reliable and tough...... Shoots good too.

I guess I will put the little beauty on layaway if they still have it.

I have one with choke tubes using Imp Cyl chokes in both barrels and I love it. I have a 12 gauge also, but I prefer the 20 gauge and shoot it the most. I load my own shotgun shells so ammo is not an issue.

That would also justify asking for aLee Loadall for 20 Gauge for Christmas, wouldn't it?

I love my Stoeger Uplander in 20ga. I use it for matches, and it is the best thing I've found for Cowboy Clays. Be aware that it is a slightly scaled down gun from the 12ga. If you are a large frame, it might not be the best for you.

Well I put the little beauty on layaway today. Depending on the part=time paycheck will grab it Saturday or in 2 weeks. And when talking to a friend I told him about watching for a Loadall and he said he had one I could have, so that works out, as I would like to make some real powder puff 20 loads for my wife to try.

4 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

... I would like to make some real powder puff 20 loads for my wife to try.

I've got a Baikal 20g, and haven't come up with anything yet that has less felt recoil than 12g AA "Low Noise/Low Recoil" Featherlites. :mellow:

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've got a Baikal 20g, and haven't come up with anything yet that has less felt recoil than 12g AA "Low Noise/Low Recoil" Featherlites. :mellow:

Thanks, the Missus tried a 870 20 Gauge last year and didn't like it, so hopefully this will be more to her liking. I will give those a try after I get a slip on pad for the 12.

17 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Well I put the little beauty on layaway today. Depending on the part=time paycheck will grab it Saturday or in 2 weeks. And when talking to a friend I told him about watching for a Loadall and he said he had one I could have, so that works out, as I would like to make some real powder puff 20 loads for my wife to try.

Universal clays best powder for low recoil loads

Okay, I have a Stoeger 12 Gauge SxS and have trimmed the nub that automatically activates the safety.  Is the safety set up the same on both? Thanks

I used a 20ga Stogoer for about 20+ years until I got a single trigger SKB. AA low-noise Low recoild and Remington STS worked best in mine. If you have an Academy sports over there, they carried AA 20 low noise/Low recoil in stock. If you are going to reload, I have a bunch of once fired AA hulls. Too bad I did not see this sooner as I was in Marion, IL Tuesday.  Wal-Mart in Sparta IL use to carry AA but not sure if they have them any more. If you can not find any, I have about 20 boxes of them right now, been using up anything I can find right now and saving them for bigger matches My SKB like everything I have put in it so far so it is not a big deal to part with a couple boxes. I have been using the Estate shells in my SKB but they are a bit heaver load.

SKU: 024318453
ITEM: AA20FL8  Winchester number

Good Luck

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-aa-low-recoil-12-gauge-shotshells#repChildCatid=860718

Also,  I may have a spring set for a Stoeger, light spring for opening it, will have to look.

ammo.JPG

ammo 3.JPG

Yes and Yes.

Started with a Rossi hammered double, 26". Stupidly sold it LOL for another love. Along the way, amidst all the 97's, I got hooked on Stoegers. Double & single triggers. For a good while I shot a Stoeger Supreme 20ga, single triggers and a few years ago, in the midst of downsizing, it wnded up on the table with all the other 20's....standardization donchaknow LOL.

Not too long after, while cleaning my sheds I found a whole buncha 20ga I fergot about....then, the shop I was working at the time took in a pristine Rem 1100 multibarrel trap set. With choke tubes and another barrel with a polychoke. I um....have a weakness for Remingtons, 1100's being one, among others and then the little devels started multiplying in the dark there in the safe. Sigh. LOL, musta been fate, karma whateva....

I never had any trouble taking targets. If anything it was better than some of my 12's. That Stoeger just seemed to fit and balance nicely so yeah, you got you a keeper!

Archived