SASS Wire Forum

Navy Reenlistment Swearing In

Subdeacon Joe

Great place to do it.

KYUODDP6CZHVRALUZUYFJHR2GM.png

Master-at-Arms 1st Class Brian Dunne, left, is reenlisted by Lt. j. g. Asa Calloway on the starboard anchor of the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman Oct. 22. Truman is currently in Norfolk Naval Shipyard for its extended carrier incremental availability period. (MCSN Bela Chambers/Navy)

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/11/03/is-this-the-best-reenlistment-location-ever/?fbclid=IwAR3e8i0lysz6Bq0X-MdK07KgpCCDvO_z8z5wnRVyVlTDFERY4uEQhDXfpzs#.X6Hljx0W-Q4.facebook

That’s interesting and very cool. 

I got to witness 2 reenlistments aboard the USS Constitution July 4th 2019 on a Turnaround Cruise in Boston. That was pretty cool too. 

When I typed “reenlistment” my phone auto communista changed it to “re-enlist mental”. Somehow that could be appropriate too. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Pull up in a small boat, climb onto the anchor, have a third man pull away in the boat?  Maybe...

Yes, I've seen it done this way before. 

Most senior officers are willing to do wild things to get people to stay in.  Once when I was in Iraq, we had some WWE professional wrestlers coming to visit on a tour (it was funny to see them in flak vests and helmets because we were literally 25 feet from the wire separating us from bad people).  A soldier decided he wouldn't re-enlist unless Stone Cold Steve Austin held up the American flag for the ceremony.  He did it :)

1 hour ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

When I was choosing my alias, I had a good one that I strongly considered but only military people would get it.  Doc Holiday Routine.

Thanks for the laugh! That's  a  good one.:lol:

2 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

When I was choosing my alias, I had a good one that I strongly considered but only military people would get it.  Doc Holiday Routine.

Should have gone with that. There are a lot of alias’ that people don’t get in SASS. :lol:

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Can you fill us in on the joke, please?

Holiday Routine in the Navy is minimal staff working mostly just standing watches...like on a holiday ;)

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Holiday Routine in the Navy is minimal staff working mostly just standing watches...like in a holiday ;)

Thanks.   I  was thinking it was an all hands heavy work party.

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Agreed.  That anchor needs some serious scraping, brushing, and painting.

I shared the original post with my old buddy, retired Command Master Chief Mike P.  

His reply was  ~  :rolleyes:

"If I would have been their Command Master Chief I would have given them both (officer and enlisted) some wire brushes and emery cloth and told them to get that rusty thing cleaned up while they were down there!" :lol: ;)

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I shared the original post with my old buddy, retired Command Master Chief Mike P.  

His reply was  ~  :rolleyes:

"If I would have been their Command Master Chief I would have given them both (officer and enlisted) some wire brushes and emery cloth and told them to get that rusty thing cleaned up while they were down there!" :lol: ;)

Yeah, that’s a pretty sad anchor. 

I am thrilled that some folks can choose where they take their obligation.

My son-in-law pinned on Captain and chose to do it front of the Constitution at the National Archives.
I was given special dispensation to do the photos without restriction, except for no flash of any kind.

He was waxing emotional about the Constitution and being a patriot.
His 10 year old daughter spoke up and said, "Man up Dad, it's YOUR promotion."

2019.11.22-Gareth-155.levels.colorbal.burn.dehaze.360.sfw.jpg

What is the deal when I was in the Navy and we were in the Norfolk Navy Yard  we could not use our cameras on base. I wanted to get a pic of our anchor on a barge. 

This ship is a Nimitz class aircraft carrier so the anchors should be the same or darn close. Our (Nimitz) anchor were 60,000 Lbs. Each link of the chain was 365 Lbs. They had 150 shots of chain plus a danger shot and a swivel shot. the pelican head had a breaking point of 1.5 million Lbs. This is what I was told when I gave tours during one of the dependents day cruises.

10 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

What is the deal when I was in the Navy and we were in the Norfolk Navy Yard  we could not use our cameras on base. I wanted to get a pic of our anchor on a barge. 

This ship is a Nimitz class aircraft carrier so the anchors should be the same or darn close. Our (Nimitz) anchor were 60,000 Lbs. Each link of the chain was 365 Lbs. They had 150 shots of chain plus a danger shot and a swivel shot. the pelican head had a breaking point of 1.5 million Lbs. This is what I was told when I gave tours during one of the dependents day cruises.

Bet this photo was taken by the Ship's or Base's Photographer.

11 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

No doubt you have seen this before:

Re: Shots
image.png.bd625758fd30b739068ffc21563fea57.png

Sail Delmarva: Marking Anchor Chain

File:US Navy 060616-N-4953E-004 Boatswain's Mates paint the anchor chains  aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63), while the ship is  in the dry dock.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Bet this photo was taken by the Ship's or Base's Photographer.

I thought that it probably done officially. I wanted to get a pic of me standing next to one of the anchor flukes while it was on a barge at the Navy Yard.

Archived