SASS Wire Forum

if you had an emergency phone

Alpo

I have seen this in stories. The protagonist will have his smartphone, but just in case he will have a "pay as you go" flip phone stashed away, in case of emergencies.

If you did this, would you let people know the number of this emergency phone?

I, and I presume many other people, have reached the point where I do not answer my phone unless I recognize the name of the caller. If Utah Bob were to call me, since he is not in my contacts list, my phone would either tell me "unknown number", or possibly give me the number (which I would not recognize). Either way I would let the call go to voicemail, because I would figure that it was either a scam or a telemarketer.

But if Bob were to let me have his phone number, for emergencies, when he called me my phone would say "Bob's emergency phone", and I would answer it.

NO!!  I am very protective of my Phone anyway.  If I had a hideaway, it would be Mine for MY emergency.  My iPhone is set-up so callers not on my "Contacts" go immediately to voice mail and not "ring."  If no voice mail, I block then delete the caller.

But then it's not a burner.  It's attached to a known contact. Defeats the purpose of an anonymous phone number.

If you lived a different lifestyle like the characters in the books getting random phone calls from unknown numbers would just be Tuesday.

Bought a burner last night to use as an internet hotspot and as soon as I entered my gmail account it mirrored all my contacts

no - i would want my burner anonimous - i would leave a messafe , the emergency is same as calling 911 , i figure we either got it or we dont and im not expecting 911 , the defunded police , the not yet notified national guard , or my best friend to be there quickly , 

what did you all do back when phones had cirds hooked to the wall ? o know what i did , 

"Burner phone". That's one of them dumb terms they came up with on television, that everybody has fallen in love with because it sounds so cool.

My brother bought my mother a pay-as-you-go phone, for emergencies. He also bought her a hundred minutes. I think they cost a dollar a minute, but they were good for a year. Now if Mama had been out on the road and got a flat tire, and called me from her emergency phone (one brother live in Texas the other one lived in Maryland - I lived a half a mile away from Mama so I would have been the one she called) and I get this unknown number show up on my phone I would ignore it. If she leaves a message, I might or might not get to it right away. I don't know that number, so why should whatever they want to say be important?

And there's this poor old 75, 80-year-old woman sitting at the side of the road in the middle of the night and it broke down car, because I didn't recognize her phone number. Seems like letting me know the number would be a good plan.

"Burner phone". Meh.

ALL of my incoming calls go straight to voice mail UNLESS the caller is in my contacts list.  You calling me from a burner phone it will be a day or two before I check the VM.

Burner phone is to make hard to trace outbound calls.  Phone would be powered down until you needed so who could have called you any who?

Archived